Campag ultra torque chain rub

the great cornholio
edited August 2008 in Workshop
I have just set up a new bike with a Centaur Ultratorqe compact chainset, and the chain rubs on the inside of the large chainring when in the small sprocket. Short of adjusting the dishing on the rear wheel, I don't see any way to adjust chainline. Maybe this is just telling me to avoid running small front to small rear?

Any advice gratefully received.

cheers

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It shouldn't be rubbing on the big chainring when you're in the small sprocket, because you should be on the big chainring - otherwise you're bound to get a nasty chainline.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    As Reddragon says small chainring to small sprocket is a no- no. No transmission is designed to do that.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agreed - stay out of the top 2-3 sprockets when on the inner ring - most modern road bikes have short chainstays and broad cassettes which make this almost inevitable. Same goes for the big ring - stay out of the 2-3 biggest sprockets to keep the chain as straight as possible
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • not only is it a no no it isn't even necessary as it very likely duplicates (very closely at least) a gear ratio that could be achieved with another rear sprocket on the big ring.
    pm