Trimming front mech

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited September 2008 in Workshop
My Veloce front mech needs adjusting.

I used to be able to use the front trim feature without it pushing the chain down onto the smaller chainring, now it jumps down. This has happened overnight without me doing anything to the bike.

My question is: what do I need to tinker with ?

I've had a look on a few sites and google etc but nothing definitive.

It's a Veloce CT QS mech on a compact........

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I would think it is probably cable tension. If the cable is too slack it will allow the front mech to "over-travel".

Try tightening the cable in small incremental ammounts and when you have made each adjustment make sure the changing works properly in all other areas. If you over tighten, it will cause problems with shifting to the smaller rings.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • venster
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. It must be a small adjustment and didn't want to go playing with the limiter screws if I didn't need to.
  • venster
    I've just tightened the slack in the cable and what I've noticed is when I depress the little black lever it trims the front mech-good !

When I take my finger off the button it clicks down again and shifts to smaller chainring - not good. Can't say I noticed it do this before.

Does this sound right?

I'm thinking of undoing it all and starting afresh but if I'm wasting my time because the shifter is faulty I wont !!!