Barracuda Tonga 2008 thoughts

jmd87
jmd87 Posts: 9
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm interested in getting back into riding bikes again but I need your help!!!!

I would like to know your thoughts on this bike: Barracuda Tonga 2008.

I don't want to buy anything stupidly expensive and also I want to do a mixture of stuff like Jump / basic Trials stuff / Downhill. Please can anyone tell me what the weight is like anything I should be careful of or whether there is a better bike to go for in that price range?

Many thanks In advanced :)
Joe

Comments

• jmd87
    jmd87 Posts: 9
    Also what about the Barracuda Jacabat

Thanks
    Joe
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Joe,

Until reading this Thread, I'd never heard of the "Barracuda" brand

Looking at the Barracuda it's a cheap and cheerful trials jump bike according to the specification. The Suntour and Zoom forks don't look too bad, but don't try anything too ambitious with 50mm/60mm of front suspension. The frames are hydroformed but they do not speicify what type of alloy the frames are made from..
    The Tonga and Jacabat seem very similar, except the Jacabat offers 10mm more front travel and cable front disc for an additonal £20.

You get exactly what you pay for @ £129 for the Tonga and £149 for the Jacabat and I certainly wouldn't try "downhill" with any form of hardtail bike.

If you only want to use this for short trip riding and some occasional (non extreme) jumping, then it may just fit your requirement.

To be honest I believe you'd be better off looking for a pre-owned jump bike and paying between £50-100 more on a higher quality reptuable brand
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    In previous years the Tonga model was the top of the range bike with hydro discs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    They are heavy & not well built.

In the long term it will work out better if you buy a better bike to start with (~£300)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • AHHH DON'T GET EITHER! they will probably last until you get out of the shop and then slowly bend and break and will probably kill you if you do anything like jumping or trials!

it is really worth spending AT LEAST £300 on a basic jump bike - it will be a million squillion times better than anything like that barracuda and cheap halfrauds bikes.

giant stp 2, mongoose fireball, even the £300+ Saracen (forgive me) bikes will be better than the Barracuda pieces of rubbash! just to name a few low end jump bikes (please add more) and they will be far stronger and better built than those things.

Those bikes you have suggested will not last 5 minutes of abuse - it really is worth spending as much money as you can on a bike - it will be better, last longer and maximize your fun.
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • Hi!

Well I guess I won't be getting that then! What about this I got offered from a friend.

SARACEN XILE 7005:

# ORIGINAL SARACEN XILE 7005 ALUMINUM JUMP FRAME.
    # 20" JUMP RIMS WITH STRENGTHENED SPOKES.
    # TRUVATIV HUSSEFELT FRONT CRANKS.
    # ONE GEAR BACK GEAR SET.
    # CHAIN TENSIONER.
    # STRENGTHENED JUMP HANDLE BARS.
    # METAL DOWN HILL PEDALS.
    # BACK V-TYPE BRAKE ONLY.

For £130?

Anygood also I've been looking at the mongoose fireballs are they anygood whats the down sides to those as I've read alot of things like people changing stuff etc etc

Many thanks
    Joe