Bar Reach Question,

Paul Sh
Paul Sh Posts: 607
edited August 2008 in Workshop
Ok, i'm looking for some bars with a short reach and a shallow drop, i've come across some bars which have a 75mm reach and a 145mm drop, are these specs considered as being small in the handlebar world, also is there a good way to calculate what width bars i should buy without having to buy different sizes and finding they are not right.

Comments

• Erasmus
    Erasmus Posts: 48
    Hi Paul. Handlebar width should roughly match your shoulder to shoulder width. Some people like wider for deeper breathing, and some go narrower for aerodynamics. Unless you are a serious triathlete or timetrialer, I suggest go as close as possible to shoulder width, but err on side of wider rather than narrower. You can always hold the bars closer in if that suits you, but you cannot do much if the bars are too narrow.

Drop is a matter of choice, but you are wise if you are going for a usable small drop so that you will actually use the drops. Some people go for Eddie Mercx style deep (like me) and hardly ever use them!

Reach - after many years of thinking that my body measurements needed special tweaking, I have reverted to the old method of putting my elbow against the saddle tip, and the other hand four fingers (ex thumb), to measure reach to handlebar centre. This really depends on what you use most, holding on to the main bar width, or the brake hood. If you mostly hold the bars, then bar reach is less important. If you mainly use brake hoods, then it is best to gear your set up to reflect this. Good luck, John
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The Bontrager Select that comes on new Treks is a compact bar. Same dimensions as what you quoted.

FSA make one too - 80mm reach and 125mm drop. They have a large range of sizes, regular or ergo bend and a choice of alloy or carbon - and even an integrated stem.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    For short reach/short drop bars looks at:

FSA "Compact" bars
    3T Ergonova bars
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr