Headset trouble!

karl randell
karl randell Posts: 141
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hey guys.
I done whites level on thursday and on the decent my bike felt a bit rattley so i stop and checked the bike for anything loose but nothing was to be found. I thought it much be the headset so i put both brakes on and rocked the bike back and forth, and it was moving ever so slightly so i tighted up the headset allen key on top of the stem and it seamed to have taken some of the play out. By the time i had finished whites level it was back the same. Is there any way i can ajust the headset to take all the play out or is it a trip too the lbs so buy a new one?
cheers!
I havent fallen off, im just having a rest!!!!!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    firstly, you should check the play by holding only the front brake.

when you tightened the top bolt, had you loosened the stem bolts?
  • I did try it with only the front brake on and it was exactly the same movement but thanks for the advice! yes i tightened the top bolt after loosening the stem bolts!
    I havent fallen off, im just having a rest!!!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    soiunds like new headset time then mate, what kind have you already got as it might be possible to just change the bearins instead of needing to change the whole thing.
  • how many miles have you done on the bike? it could be a case of loosening the stem and removing the shock, give the bottom bearing and top bearing a good service with good quality grease and putting it all back and tighten it up to correct torque settings. it can also be that eiher your bottom race or top race is worn, this needs replacing and unfortunately means a whole new headset. good luck