New rear wheel

sirmy
sirmy Posts: 67
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a very old Muddy Fox Courier Comp, 1989 vintage. This came equipped with a 7 speed rear wheel, 130 mm rear drop out spacing. I now need to replace the wheel. New rear wheels all appear to be 135 mm wide.

So two questions -

Will the stays have enough spring in them to accommodate the wider hub without an appreciable loss of strength? I've used it for light touring in the past and had hoped to do so again.

Is it possible to buy a new wheel with a 130 mm hub?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a read of this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Also you will need a hub to match what you have ie cassette hub or screw on freewheel.
  • sirmy
    Thanks, I'll have a look at it
  • sirmy
    Ok, so i got a new wheel, chain and cassette and fitted it into the frame without it falling apart.

But can anyone offer an opinion on how moving the cassette 2.5 mm to the right will affect the chain line? Will I need to install a new bottom bracket with longer axle? (I had been thinking of changing the chainset as well).

I seem to be getting vibration through the pedals in periods of high loading, uphills, accelerating etc, but I'm not sure if this was always present or if I 'm just noticing it because I'm looking for it. I tried the old wheel with the bike on a stand and there's still vibration although, I think, not as pronounced, but it's hard to be exact), any chance this is a new chain thing or could it be a chain line thing?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sirmy wrote:

But can anyone offer an opinion on how moving the cassette 2.5 mm to the right will affect the chain line?

no change as the new cassette is about 5mm wider so you have moved out and in 2.5mm

Dont forget do not use big and big or small and small and a few each way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sirmy
    Thanks