Security ??

K88 MUD
K88 MUD Posts: 101
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys

What security (locks) do you guys recomend for use at home and when out ?

I like to ride for a few hours find a shop and maybe buy an icecream etc but having to leave my bike outside unatended is a little worrying.

Any advice welcome.
Looking for a mtb riding partner............

Comments

• i got a maglock from halfords for just over £30..seems pretty tough and has a £1500 warranty on it, bit bulky and heavy though :(

there was an advert in MBUK this month about a immobitag (http://www.immobilise.com) which looks interesting, not got on myself but for £11.99 they seem quite good.

its activated online when/if your bike is halfinched and you are able to store photos, descriptions, recipts and frame numbers...making it easier for the police to trace/easier to claim on insurance if needs be..

Ben
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what ever the insurance company says I should use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    A fahgettaboudit chain, very solid chain. Got the 1.5m one from the US for about €90.
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    Depends on the value of the bike, You need to look for official bronze silver or gold rating depending on the value of the bike for the insurance company to pay out if someone does nick it.

D-locks will always be more secure than a cable. I had a £30 kryptonite cable on my old avalanche and someone cut through that like butter pressumably with bolt cutters.

One guy at work with a marin has a heavy gold rated chain to the bike frame, a cable securing the sadle to that chain, then a normal D-lock securing each wheel!

Kryptonite do some good rated D-locks.
  • K88 MUD
    Thanks guys.......biggest problem is weight when out and about.

My bike is a marin east peak 07 and has upgraded hope brakes front and rear......i value it at about £1500.
  • Ciaran500
    Don't leave it out and about.

Theres no way you could secure that with any sort of portable lock. Even then the parts on it are worth nicking on their own.
  • I suppose if it was just for out and about type use, you could buy a combination type padlock, paint it luminous orange and put it through your back disc. I also bought a chain from a pound shop. I know they are not great, but together they are a good visual deterent and very easy to carry around.
  • Ciaran500
    Bike are too easy to lift, even motor bikes using that method get lifted.

You'd be crazy to leave a bike that value alone anywhere outside the house.
  • see, i had 2 locks broken, my bike stolen, in the middle of a town center, and no-one saw anything.

for that reason alone, i'm considering buying a cheaper £250 bike to take to uni with me...if my XCR went missing i'd go freakin crazy.
  • K88 MUD
    Point taken guys......will just look at the security in the house/garage and not let my bike out of my hands.
  • take a mate :D

thats what i do if i ever have to leave my bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had problems really - you need to be a bit sensible where you leave the bike - but i have done hundreds of sunday runs most of which involve stops and no incidents. Obviously its always good to have it visible to you if possible - but none of my riding pals take locks.
    Leaving it in a town centre would be different tho.
  • Try to ride in small groups then not only do you have some one to watch your bike you might get a free ice cream :lol:
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • GibboGT wrote:

Look on youtube for the video's of how to open a kryptonite D-lock with a pen before buying one!
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    GibboGT wrote:

Look on youtube for the video's of how to open a kryptonite D-lock with a pen before buying one!

The new ones have flat keys - so a Bic will not open them anymore
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • K88 MUD
    mtb.boy wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    GibboGT wrote:

The new ones have flat keys - so a Bic will not open them anymore

IF..........that is true (and yes ive seen the vids) it must be a little worrying for kryptonite :shock:
  • it is true, so true that IIRC, they did a complete product recall for quite some time, and replaced the locks free of charge for newer ones