joes no flats

smitty
smitty Posts: 125
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hi has anybody got any tips on fitting a joes no flats cant get the strip to fit properly ,and im starting to lose my rag with it

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    there is a vid about how to fit stans kits on the workshop forum stickies, i dont know if the 2 systems are similar and maybe the hints for stans might apply to joes?

stans is dead easy to fit.
  • smitty
    right cheers
  • smitty
    also is it ok to slighty trim the strip if it dosent sit properly
  • Anonymous
    i wouldnt if it was me, there is a tip on the stans vid about pushing any slight overhang under the edge of the rim with a tyre lever. give it a watch, see if it helps.
  • smitty
    yeah i have watched the vid and pushed the strip down with a tyre lever it seems to ruffle up in the mid then ive checked that its the right widith but it still seems a tad too wide
  • Anonymous
    fraid i dont know what else to suggest to be honest as i havent fitted a joes kit and ive not had the same problem.

try fitting the tyre and see if inflates anyway would be my advice for next step, what tyres are you using by the way?
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    With the Joe's kit, you can have the rim-strip overhanging the rim slightly.

Lots of warm soapy water, and a tyre-lever run between rim/strip for a couple of revolutions should equalise the tension.

Then try to pry the rim-strip beneath both bead-locks by compressing/stretching it with the spoon of the tyre lever. If you can't get it to sit between the bead-locks, then just centralise it, so that you've got equal overlap both sides and all the way around the rim. Then fit the tyre.
  • smitty
    im runnig a set of conti speed kings on xr 4.2d rims and there tight little bastards to fit
  • Anonymous
    good luck getting speed kings to seal :?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You are gonna need at the least a track pump and a fit mate to do the pumping

best way to do it COMPRESSOR!!!! unless of course you like going dizzy after pumping for half an hour
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • S_J_P
    Joe's don't recommend using CO2 to inflate tyres, they state that it will prevent the sealant from working.

If you're struggling to inflate, and don't have a compressor, then you can inflate using CO2, but after the bead has seated de-flate and reinflate by pump. Repeat three/four times to ensure that most of the CO2 has dissapated.
  • smitty
    thanks for the tips guys finding it real pain but im gonna keep trying till i get the little fuckers to work lol
  • S_J_P
    Warm soapy water to lubricate can work wonders :)