Pasta appreciation thread

gazvenn
gazvenn Posts: 121
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
sitting here eating some warmed up pasta bake that just had some random stuff thrown in (cougettes and mushrooms) and i'm just sitting here thinking how good pasta is.

show your appreciation here :D

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    mmm pasta. love it. best food around if i dare to say so...
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    How we all love carbing-up on pasta :wink: Just don't forget to drink plenty of water too. Amazing how bunged-up down-below pasta can make you.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've bought some sea-vegitable enriched pasta. It is black in the pack but goes greenish upon cooking, I was so dissappointed :(

it is however yum.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Love pasta.

Also got into making pizzas and focaccia from scratch (making the dough, tomato topping, etc) - SO much better than any shop bought ones :D:D
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Love Pasta, used it as one of the main parts of a weight loss program a few years back where I managed to lose 5 stone.

I do agree on the tip of drinking plenty of fluids.

My Fav is Pasta and any kind of Pesto dressing, 'mmmmmm
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    GlenWatt wrote:
    Love Pasta, used it as one of the main parts of a weight loss program a few years back where I managed to lose 5 stone.

I do agree on the tip of drinking plenty of fluids.

My Fav is Pasta and any kind of Pesto dressing, 'mmmmmm
    Oh yeah, red pepper pesto. YUM Guess what I'm gonna have for dinner tonight :wink:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    What's more - it's really cheap!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do like a bit of pasta on my cheese.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Love pasta.

Also got into making pizzas and focaccia from scratch (making the dough, tomato topping, etc) - SO much better than any shop bought ones :D:D
    Damn you that is unfair.

Every time I've made pizzas myself, although satisfying they're never as good as bought ones, or even as good as I'd like.

Damn you, damn you to hell for your kung fu pizza skillz! :lol:

But pasta? mmmmmm.

I like making a kind of pasta stir-fry, with some peppers, salad, pineapple, chicken, and various things from the fridge. Tasty!
  • Surf-Matt
    There's some Italian blood in my veins somewhere from waaaay back but it's more down to having a damn good pizza cookbook!
  • gazvenn
    home made pizza's ooo not had 1 of those bad boys in a while.. sooo good.
  • Penne arrabiata FTW!
    John Stevenson
  • Anonymous
    ooh, arrabiata cause is ace.
    I've got a HUGE bottle of thai sweet chilli sauce which works well when added to it.
    Hell, it even works well when added to normal ragu tomato pasta sauce, to turn it into a sort of arrabiata hybrid!
  • Surf-Matt
    Pre-mixed sauce is wrong in pasta (unless it's fresh stuff with fresh pasta).
    Making your own takes about ten minutes.

Fry/brown onions (red onions or shallots of you have them) and garlic in olive oil, add meat (decent bacon/lardons or good pepperoni) and brown it, add a tin of chopped toms (good ones are better), chuck in a teaspoon of sugar to take the edge of the tartness, add capers, chopped olives and some crushed fresh or dried chillis and a little oregano.
    Also add a splash of balsamic vinegar (for more depth) and a dollop of pesto if you have any.

Season and let it cook through.
    Now the vital bit - add to your drained pasta and allow to "soodle" for at least 5 mins so the sauce and pasta bind together slightly.

Add cheese at the end if you fancy or sprinkle parmesan. Eat with a lightish red wine such as valpollicella (which is also cheap!) and congratulate yourself on your cooking prowess!

All sorts of variations too.
  • Anonymous
    ooh, parmesan!
    I swear, if my card hadn't been rejected by the machine the other day, I'd be straight out to buy a load of pasta-related-necessities right now!
    mmmmmmm
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Why do you use pre-bought pesto, I either make it myself or get some from the deli where they make it fresh
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm a big fan of pasta :D

In fact, spinach and ricotta canneloni on the cards for tonight.... Yum!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Surf-Matt
    Why do you use pre-bought pesto, I either make it myself or get some from the deli where they make it fresh

Who said they use pre-bought?!
    We usually make some with (this is getting a bit "Jamie Oliver!") home grown basil 8)
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    pasta is ok but rice now thats the king of bland carbs
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • gazvenn
    boooo we'll have no rice in this thread.. although its ok sometimes.
  • Surf-Matt
    Yes but curry just doesn't work with pasta.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree, I ran out of rice once so used pasta. yuk!
  • Anonymous
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Yes but curry just doesn't work with pasta.
    Although in Les Gets, you can have curry on a pizza - which is a sort of marriage between indian and italian cuisine :shock:
  • Anonymous
    papa johns makes a balti pizza and its one of the nicest things i have ever put in my mouth!! (caramac coated kit kat wins the top spot)

as for pasta, it rocks, rigatoni with mushrooms, good olive oil and garlic is probably my favourite, i love home made carbonnara too.