Anyone want free photoshop?

lambchops
lambchops Posts: 20
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
hi,

if anyone would like to send me photos of them riding via e-mail, tom hodgett @google mail.c om
i will happily edit them and make them look better and send them back to you via email
heres an example of my work
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2393271/[/img]
"don't worry, I'm half Scottish"

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hi,

if anyone would like to send me photos of them riding via e-mail, =========
    i will happily edit them and make them look better and send them back to you via email
    sorry to be harsh, but that's better how?
    Looks like you've just used the edge detect, and difference clouds filters.

The best thing is that on some of your pinkbike photos, you've even missed bits, or just coloured thing in, without any consideration of fixing exposures, balances, or applying any real artistic enhancement.

So, some honest advice would be, give yourself some time to learn how and why to use photoshop, and maybe get a few books on photography.

But, by all means, if you want people to send you source material to practice with, go ahead, but I'd be wary of making such claims initially.

Also, don't just write your email adress in plain lettering like that, or you will be subkect to massive amounts of spam emails soon enough, disguise it, such as
    tomhodget-at-goglemail-dot-com
    so that crawler bots don't pick up on it.

And, finally, remember that photoshop is very expensive software, and Adobe expect you to pay for it.
  • David Lund
    David Lund Posts: 602
    Just a quich question for either of you, sorry.
    I have photoshop 'CS' and was wondering how good this version actualy is? it seems ok but im still learning :oops:
    Cheers
  • Anonymous
    David Lund wrote:
    Just a quich question for either of you, sorry.
    I have photoshop 'CS' and was wondering how good this version actualy is? it seems ok but im still learning :oops:
    Cheers
    CS is the "proper" photoshop, the real deal so to speak. The cut down version is photoshop elements. Photoshop will set you back a cool £530 or so quid.
  • hi,

if anyone would like to send me photos of them riding via e-mail, =========
    sorry to be harsh, but that's better how?
    Looks like you've just used the edge detect, and difference clouds filters.

The best thing is that on some of your pinkbike photos, you've even missed bits, or just coloured thing in, without any consideration of fixing exposures, balances, or applying any real artistic enhancement.

So, some honest advice would be, give yourself some time to learn how and why to use photoshop, and maybe get a few books on photography.

But, by all means, if you want people to send you source material to practice with, go ahead, but I'd be wary of making such claims initially.

Also, don't just write your email adress in plain lettering like that, or you will be subkect to massive amounts of spam emails soon enough, disguise it, such as
    tomhodget-at-goglemail-dot-com
    so that crawler bots don't pick up on it.

And, finally, remember that photoshop is very expensive software, and Adobe expect you to pay for it.

well to be honest mate i am only 14 years old so you cant expect me to work miracles, and i no its not the best but a lot of people appreacitate my work. Also my dad teaches art, photography e.t.c at university level so i have more than enough sources of information.
    "don't worry, I'm half Scottish"
  • Anonymous
    well, I'm just saying, you should practice more before offering services.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    lambchops wrote:
    hi,

if anyone would like to send me photos of them riding via e-mail, tom hodgett @google mail.c om

looks like you've darked the contrast, used the stylize button for glowing edges, easy as anyone can photoshop, i have the latest one already, rarely use it as i take the picture i want with the settings + lens i want to use, fisheye, macro, 60mm, 100, 150mm so i dont have to photoshop the picture to make it look "better", to be honest mate, glowing edges and edge defining tools dont make a picture look better, suttle things do ie slight adjust to brightness and contrast, adding little bits here and there, check my pinkbike in my sig for good quality pics none photoshopped
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • David Lund
    Thanks... so just to get this straight, iv coppied some program files of my college computers and nicked several hundreds of pounds worth of software which runs perfectly?... :roll:

NICE! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    really?
  • David Lund
    Should i feel bad?? :oops:
    Our college computers dont even stop you going into the program files folder in 'my computer' So i was just having a look and saw photoshop, coppied it onto my college memory stick and put it onto my computer at home and ran the files. success.

It asked me for the register password e.t.c on the loading up but the college details were already writen in. :shock:

Should i actualy be able to do this or is something a miss?
    Dave
  • Anonymous
    David Lund wrote:
    Should i feel bad?? :oops:
    Our college computers dont even stop you going into the program files folder in 'my computer' So i was just having a look and saw photoshop, coppied it onto my college memory stick and put it onto my computer at home and ran the files. success.

It asked me for the register password e.t.c on the loading up but the college details were already writen in. :shock:

Should i actualy be able to do this or is something a miss?
    Dave
    Are you actually an idiot?

You know, Adobe have quite a simpe way for people to tell them you're pirating their software.
  • lol,
    How could you not know what you are doing, and You deffenatly shouldnt be advertising it, I need phoo shop but im going to have to save up for it because im "honest"
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    NS Holy 2009 :D
    Saving for Full Sus...
  • David Lund
    Im not an idiot thanks.. i had no idea how much it was worth untill ou told me, all i was aware was that it was a photoshop program that you could download. if you knew my college they would never spend that amount of money on software, they download everything for free.

Also i know that they lend out CDs with programs such as these to students for home use.
  • Anonymous
    What's the college?
  • David Lund
    After all that i dont realy think i should say, sorry..

Anyway i think iv hijacked the thread a little.

LAMBCHOPS - Have a look at some pictures on pinkbike and try some subtle photoshoping such a bringing out the colours and post some.
    Obviously get permission first!
  • Anonymous
    If a college is using photoshop knock-offs, then they definitely need reporting.
  • David Lund
    Sorry you probably misunderstood, the Program is probably genuine but they usualy download most of their programs so i thought that it was just a cheep downloaded one.
  • Using pirated software is bad enough, but handing it out to people is just stupid.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Saving for Full Sus...
  • bonyjoe
    bonyjoe Posts: 48
    Tbh that isn't a great use of photoshop to make that image.

You may want to start by using the adjustment layers to change the lighting and such, perhaps using a gradient overlay and setting it to soft light with lowered opacity, then maybe changing the brightness/contrast to accentuate the focal a bit more.

But what you have done by the looks of things is just went into the filters menu and added a load of them :?

Although I've never done any bike photo related work my photoshop work is here http://bonyjoe.deviantart.com/

For the people that are wanting a free version of photoshop there is the GIMP which is essentially the same program with less features but is free :D
  • Anonymous
    GIMP is excellent, and only really lacks the features that a professional would require when working with a combination of software tools.
    I didn't actually know it was available outside Linux, however! :oops:
  • bonyjoe
    Yeah GIMP is great, I personally prefer Photoshop but then Im used to it now as I've been using it for a while. It's all down to whether you want something free which would be GIMP or a dirty pirate version of photoshop :?

Well I don't know how long its been available outside of linux for but it is now anyway :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I have to say, i do prefer photoshop, but I don;t have it myself. I use it at my sisters quite often however.

I just can't justify the expense of photoshop for what I use it for, so I run GIMP on Linux.
    but now I can ditch Linux, and have gimp in vista!
  • Anonymous
    A couple of posts reminded me of the Xfactor in here :p

I used Photoshop CS3, tis SUPER complicated to me, the best thing I have managed to do is this:

lines.jpg

:p

I think I might install it again and find some pics from my cycling clubs site and shop em after seeing this thread, inspiring thread I'd say :D
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Not that I'm endorsing piracy, but Adobe don't normally pursue private users with a cracked version. However, they do come down on companies and educational establishments very hard - I worked for a company where ALL of their software was pirated (the bosses were really cheap). They laid off a bunch of designers quite unexpectedly, and as revenge, the designers informed Adobe. Adobe started sending legal threats, leading the bosses to tell the IT department to remove all of the pirate software from the PCs - bye bye Word, 3d Studio Max, Soundforge, Photoshop... :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I quit a job at a facility once, because they were using knock offs of 3D studio max. I didn't feel happy working for a company that would happilly flount laws, and it bought about a question of whether they'd feel the same way about paying their staf.
    3DsMax is an incredibly expensive software suite, especially when you factor in that they had all the bells and whistles, such as character studio, the brazil rendering engine, and Reactor (which I think was a costly add on at the time)
  • bonyjoe
    3d studio max is indeed a very expensive software suite, for a company that needs to use it to do what they do to pirate it is very serious and would definately make me think twice about working there.

Maya is good thougha nd can be used free with a special edition that they offer for download, just means that all your renders have a watermark with maya free edition or something like that on them. This is good for people who want to get into it but can't get the money for it and its a very good move by the company, forgot their name :oops:

But with programs like photoshop and things that cost a lot of money adobe and other companies are fine with piracy by home users becaues it still helps their program get better circulation and therefore more real buyers will hear of it and buy it.

But anyway lets see some members creations!
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    i think what he is trying to say is that the school will have paid for the software but schools can pay for a licence so that they can provide the software ( there will be some small edits like to stop printing on certern versions such as tech programs etc) if they have this licence from the company they are will with in there rites to distribute this licenced copy to the pupils and pupils only,
  • I have got photoshop 5 (i think ) free from the Serif website, its a trial, it doesnt have as many functions as the newer versions but i just use it to crop photos, And they keeps sending me emails about special offers to buy the full upgrade for it.
    Saving for Full Sus...
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    i used CS3 for an IT GCSE before i moved north, found it pretty easy to use but i had used elements for some time, CS3 is brilliant for creating your own stuff
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Totally off topic but a mate runs a 3D imaging company for mostly yacht visuals using Solidworks and Lightwave.

I was really impressed with it all - what do you guys things (BTW I'm not pushing his company - he has tonnes of work on already!)? All images are mocked up from very basic sketches and measurements.

www.solidwave.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Totally off topic but a mate runs a 3D imaging company for mostly yacht visuals using Solidworks and Lightwave.

I was really impressed with it all - what do you guys things (BTW I'm not pushing his company - he has tonnes of work on already!)? All images are mocked up from very basic sketches and measurements.

www.solidwave.co.uk
    A firend of mine used to work as a rep for solidworks, after working as a machinist, then a wuality control and analysis engineer.
    What I saw (and understood :oops: ) of solidworks was frankly, awesome.
    I remember using a similar product from Autodesk a long time ago, and wishing it could do what solidoworks could. There was a large time discrepancy, of course.

As for lightwave? well, I was never that satisfied (I never owned a copy, but got to play quite a lot with a friend's machine whilst he was studying industrial design - which meant he had all the big hitters), after 3Ds max, it seemed as if it lagged a few years of development.
    Maya, well, I never really got comfortable with it. I remember using Alias years and years ago, and got the same impression. The interface was very mac-oriented, which would have been fine if I had started out that way, but after several years mastering imagine by impulse, then 3d studio, I felt a bit like a fish out of water!
    Maya, though, does have some absolutely jaw dropping features, it's particle support in particular is just, well, farking amazing.

However, now that Discreet, creators of 3Ds max, have bought Maya, those features might migrate into their flagship software as well.

Curiously, there's always been something of a defined field for each app, for example, game developers tended to use 3Dsmax, CGI for film pretty unanimously use Maya, and television CGI tend towards XSI, C4D, or Lightwave.

However, I have a very good friend who is an architect, who always uses 3Ds max rather than autocad or solidoworks to come up with design ideas, because his initial designs can be created artistically first, without having to consider physical limitations - which you would have to with AutoCAD, or Solidowrks.
    The physical design aspect comes later, once he's got the basic artistic concept down if you see what I mean.