Cervelo owners! possible urgent recall!!

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited August 2008 in Workshop
If you have a Cervelo this might be a problem that you need to deal with asap: http://www.cervelo.com/WolfSLRecall/

See here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi? ... 84#1656284

and here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=46648
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You're a bit late with this vermooten, been around for 2-3 days mate
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    So, about 3 years ago the R2.5 was recalled becuase it came unglued and then 'relaunched' 6 months later as the R3 with better glue presumabley - now the forks fall apart too - anyone care to explain why spending £2.5k on such a bike is good value?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Monty Dog wrote:
    So, about 3 years ago the R2.5 was recalled becuase it came unglued and then 'relaunched' 6 months later as the R3 with better glue presumabley - now the forks fall apart too - anyone care to explain why spending £2.5k on such a bike is good value?

At least make even the smallest of efforts to research what you say before shooting off another of your frequently mis-informed opinions.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    Ooh - handbags. Spot the Cervelo owner. :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Monty Dog wrote:

The maker of the forks say there's nothing wrong with them, but Cervelo would rather be safe than sorry.

Cervelo didn't have to recall the forks as they're not even their forks, so it's plus points to Cervelo IMO.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    andyp wrote:
    Ooh - handbags. Spot the Cervelo owner. :wink:

No, it's just that I'm not ignorant enough to comment on things I know nothing about without doing a bit of research to back up what I say.
  • andyp
    Research like this you mean;

http://www.cervelo.com/R25recall/
  • Monty Dog wrote:

The maker of the forks say there's nothing wrong with them, but Cervelo would rather be safe than sorry.

Cervelo didn't have to recall the forks as they're not even their forks, so it's plus points to Cervelo IMO.

Thats like saying any car manufacturer that finds defects in any parts that are on it's car should just not bother recalling the car in question because they're not their parts, at the end of the day the forks were commissionedfor Cervelo ( This fork is designed and manufactured by True Temper Sports of Memphis, Tennessee, using a blade shape supplied by Cervelo.) and anybody buying a bike would receive them as part of that package,so they have to recall them!
  • redddraggon
    so they have to recall them!

I guess you don't understand the word "voluntary" then
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I understand the word "voluntary" fine, i guess you don't understand the word liability then?

What exactly is the problem?
    Under certain conditions the fork steerer can crack and eventually break during normal use, which may cause the rider to lose control, fall and suffer potentially serious injuries.
  • redddraggon
    I understand the word "voluntary" fine, i guess you don't understand the word liability then?

Yes, it's the fork manufacturers who would be liable, and anyway the forks passed all previous tests, Cervelo had to design a new test to prove the forks would fail in a certain way. Yes, the blades might have been a Cervelo design - but it wasn't the blades that were failing - it was the steerer.

I wish people wouldn't post who knew bugger all. Do some research.

Personally I reckon the forks were a dodgy design to start with - why make a carbon steerer if you are still going to have to glue an alloy insert inside to strengthen it - that seems to me that the manufacturers knew about potential problems.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • allezscotia
    allezscotia Posts: 278
    edited August 2008
    I understand the word "voluntary" fine, i guess you don't understand the word liability then?

Yes, it's the fork manufacturers who would be liable, and anyway the forks passed all previous tests, Cervelo had to design a new test to prove the forks would fail in a certain way. Yes, the blades might have been a Cervelo design - but it wasn't the blades that were failing - it was the steerer.

Personally I reckon the forks were a dodgy design to start with - why make a carbon steerer if you are still going to have to glue an alloy insert inside to strengthen it - that seems to me that the manufacturers knew about potential problems.

The minute that Cervelo done this it wasn't an issue of voluntary recall.
    If they hadn't done this test then yes the liability would be at the fork manufacturers door.

Making a product liability compensation claim Under the Consumer Act of 1987, you are allowed to make a product liability claim against the manufacturer of a faulty product that can be shown to have caused you personal injury. This covers a wide range of products; from cars to hip replacement joints and from toys to cosmetics.
    This Act was made to give consumers recourse to justice against manufacturers who were producing dangerous goods. It has been successful in this, with thousands of people in the UK having made successful product liability claims in the years since the Consumer Act was introduced.
    The four main types of product liability claim
    The four main ways in which a manufacturer can be found to be at fault in a product liability claim are:
    Manufacturing
    If contamination has occurred in a factory or a batch of products has been damaged during the manufacturing process and the quality control procedure has not identified this and you have suffered injury as a result, the manufacturer is likely to be liable.

Design
    If a product is poorly designed, such as a toy that has very sharp edges or a kettle that allows steam to escape around the handle, and you have sustained an injury as a result, you can make a product liability claim against the manufacturer.

Warnings
    If a manufacturer fails to exhibit sufficient warnings on a product that is inherently dangerous, such as an electrical appliance, or a salesman has downplayed the warnings on such an item, then the company may well be found to be liable if you are injured as a result.

Failure to recall/announce warnings
    If a manufacturer discovers a problem with a product that could cause personal injury and fails to announce warnings about the product and injury occurs as a result, a product liability claim could well be successful, if you are injured by the product.
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Hmmm .... I was seriously considering the R3 as my next bike (when I've saved up more pennies :wink: ) .... don't think I've any reason to change my mind as Cervelo seem to have acted honestly and clearly. (I guess if/when I do get it it will not have the offending forks fitted :D

Anyone here ride one that give me a review?

It's great to be .....
  • Cervelo market their bikes on the strength of their research and development. But only once something is apparently defective do they highlight the fact that they don't actually design the forks. I don't think Cervelo are being very honest with their customers on the marketing front.

Although only one of the Wolf forks was affected, it'll be interesting to see if Cervelo's relationship with Wolf continues. I'm guessing that - contractually - Wolf may be fully entitled to refuse to participate in the recall, particularly if Cervelo's end product specification did not include reference to fitness for purpose. Wolf's position would appear to be further strengthened by the defect generally only emerging following a crash or incident of sorts.

Some kudos goes to Cervelo for going through with the recall. But perhaps this is because they can afford to, having procuring their "researched and developed" products from subcontractors and selling them at a healthy margin.
  • giant_man
    pjh wrote:
    Hmmm .... I was seriously considering the R3 as my next bike (when I've saved up more pennies :wink: ) .... don't think I've any reason to change my mind as Cervelo seem to have acted honestly and clearly. (I guess if/when I do get it it will not have the offending forks fitted :D

Anyone here ride one that give me a review?

Don't let this put you off man. The R3 which I have rode, is a fine machine with plenty of get up and go. A fine frame imo. They don't always supply the Wolf fork with the R3 anyway. The alternative is the Easton EC90 SLX fork, which by all accounts is not the best fork for this frame. If you go for one try and get the T3 Team fork which is better. Apparently.

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/1928.aspx
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    2 major recalls and no one cares to question the quality of the product? Either they suffer from appallingly bad luck or more simply they have poor quality control / vendor management. I know enough about product recalls to know that 'voluntary' is a means by which you cap your liabilities - if you don't change your forks and you faceplant when your forks break, don't come bleating on here!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    You're a bit late with this vermooten, been around for 2-3 days mate
    So? Maybe not everyone's seen it. Don't get your point mate.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • giant_man
    People have probably seen it elsewhere, you're late mate that's my point. Hardly new news.
  • I hadn't seen it. It was news to me.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    People have probably seen it elsewhere, you're late mate that's my point. Hardly new news.
    Come on lads - there are far more important things to argue about:

Helmet/no helmet
    Campag/Shimano
    Red light jumping

etc etc

:)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oooh we are good at arguing arent we ?

OK Cervelo have had two recalls. Havent Look recalled stacks of their Keo pedals too lately ?

My Cervelo riding pals tell me that they are lovely bikes. They look it, but man - they're not cheap either.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Providing its not being done on a regular basis and for the same issues, I'd rather a company recalled a product in a responsible and orderly fashion than the problem swept under the carpet. The main aim should be to minimise the owners inconvenience and time without the product.
  • andyp
    One recall would be unfortunate. Two looks like carelessness, especially when the company bases it's advertising on the high level of engineering that goes into making it's products. It makes you think that what they say and what they do are very, very different.
  • mr-ed
    mr-ed Posts: 130
    Yeh two recalls, but only one actually anything to do with a cervelo product. Just because cervelo's come with Wolf forks (aren't they the same as the Alpha Q ones anyway?), I bet there are other bikes too, whats being done about those?

Also everybody going on about how bad it is for two recall's dose anybody actually know of a Cervelo that's failed? Search Google for Ford recall's if you think 2 recalls is bad you'll have a heart attack.