Olympics - Mens Mountain Bike On Now

Gregger
Gregger Posts: 71
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Blimey

Course looks fantastic

Bet some of you guys would like to get yourself round that

I note they're all on hard tails, presumably cos they're lighter and easier to climb?

Comments

• Fantastic? certainly not mountainous if it's the same course the women were on earlier, the highest climb being 30metres!
    Every bit as ridiculous as London's decision to hold the mtn biking course in Essex, when it would have been very feasible to have done it Wales, Peak, Yorks Dales or NY Moors despite them not being close to London, at least it would spread some of the benefits around too.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Despite the fact the whole country are paying for the 2012 olympics you wouldn't expect anywhere else to benefit from all this investment would you?
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I'm not the biggest fan off the Olympics such a massive expensive for a few weeks entertainment leaving behind facilities that will be sold off to the private sector that the general public won't be allowed to use or be able to afford to use. The companies that have gone under due to compulsory purchase orders placed on them cause more damage to the long term economy than the building of the Olympic Village brings.

I would like to see a more level playing field with all the competitors issued the same kit to compete with then you get to see the more skilful, stronger and determined athlete win. Make it much easier for some of these smaller countries to compete.
  • I note they're all on hard tails, presumably cos they're lighter and easier to climb?

Not all of them...Killeen and Sauser are on full suss Specialized Epics.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Sickbed
    Sickbed Posts: 73
    Did anyone else noticed that Killeen's last five laps appeared to be faster than anyone else on the course? It's hard to tell whether he'd have been up there with the medalists without his crash but I can guarantee that overtaking about 40 riders on that course to end up where he did is harder than riding your own race near the front.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The commentators kept saying "this is such a technical course" but surely it wasn't - only about 3 were on full sussers.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    It was annoying. When I started watching - About an hour in - they watched the leader for about 95% of the time and did not show anyone past about 6th position. I wanted to see some people further down the ranking who might have had problems negociatiing the course - not just the leader doing lap after perfect lap time and time again.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    All I saw was Absalon too. We had it on the TV at work and got bored very quickly. Would have been nice to see some coverage of the whole field. As for it being technical, the most technical bit seemed to be the climb with the switchbacks. The rest looked almost like fire-road most of the way