XC Racing?

XC-D
XC-D Posts: 6
edited August 2008 in XC and Enduro
I have had a little search on the forums but couldn't find the info I'm after so hope you guys can help and sorry if it's already been covered:

I enjoy XC but only do it for fun at the mo and I'm interested in getting involved in some races. Could anyone tell me what sort of distances and times are involved in them and the sort of terrain I can expect. I would like to make sure I'm prepared before I start trying to enter myself in the races just so I don't look a bit of a ti* and if I can design myself a sample route and get up to a sort of average time then that would be a great help.

While I'm on here and apologies for a long message: I have been looking at the pics for races and see that most use hardtails. I have a stumpy full sus that I built up and use but wondered if I would be better getting a hardtail.

Thanks people.

D

Comments

• streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    The races I have been involved in are lap based and the number of laps depends on your category, for example, fun- 2 laps, sport and masters -4 laps, Experts and Elites 5 or 6 laps.
    Each lap will take 25-35 minutes, maybe more, depending on your skill and fitness, so the full race will take 2-2.5 hours. You will need to get used to pushing yourself for this amount of time.

The hardtail is still the most common race bike but there is absolutely no reason why a full suss Stumpy shouldnt be used. It could also give an advantage on the technical downs.

Try it. You will either love it or hate it!
  • damian24
    damian24 Posts: 26
    I have recently brought a mountain bike and have been doing off road/cross country locally and at thetford forest. I am looking to join a club and I am very keen to up my fitness and in the near future compete in races.
    I would be greatfull if anyone could give me any information on joining and what I need to join as I am very keen to get in to cross country more.
    I live in lowestoft(if anyone knows where that is.Near Norwich)
  • hi damien,

i live in norwich. have you got msn?

henry
    Henry
  • damian24 wrote:
    I have recently brought a mountain bike and have been doing off road/cross country locally and at thetford forest. I am looking to join a club and I am very keen to up my fitness and in the near future compete in races.
    I would be greatfull if anyone could give me any information on joining and what I need to join as I am very keen to get in to cross country more.
    I live in lowestoft(if anyone knows where that is.Near Norwich)

I'm in pretty much the same position. Based in Norwich. Thinking about entering some of this seasons Winter Series.