Insurance for custom build

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited August 2008 in MTB general
i know a lot of companies are funny with custom builds

anyone experience of a good one. original bike was £250 from halfords but after adding parts its worth nearer £700 now

thanks in advance

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Some insurers will only pay for accessories, not upgraded components like mech's & wheels, I'm with E&L (for my sins :( ), I think that upgrades are covered (they better be!) but E&L aren't the cheapest.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • andy83
    cheers

thats why i need to find one that does custom builds. pointless me getting it insured if its only for accessories. as i say with bike they will just see a 3 year old£250 halfords jobbie so all my bits are not insured :(

ill check with e and l
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    What I did with my Orange AirO years ago, to get around your problem, I got a valuation certificate from the LBS that helped my build it. As that was built from the frame up, we priced everything up, inc the labour cost and then they sent it as a cover note to the insurance company that then covered it for the said amount. Get in contact with your insurance company and see if they will accept something similar. Dont tell them its a Halfords bike with extra bits added, tell them its a custom build. They should accept a valuation from the bike shop :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • andy83
    looking to add parts to the bike prob around october, would i just then send another valuation to the insurance company and get it insured for the new amount. prob adding new forks, headset and seatpost and pedals
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Keep the receipts, tell them the parts were stolen along with the bike!
    Carbon is a mans best freind