Restore or mothball old 531c frame?

pete_d-2
pete_d-2 Posts: 6
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I've got a 1991-vintage steel frame that I'm considering bringing out of retirement. It's nothing particularly exotic, just a Graham Weigh in Reynolds 531c with nice tight race geometry (and a number hanger :D ), but it does have sentimental value as it was the basis of my first decent road bike. It's been hanging up in my garage for about 10 years gathering dust and spiders...

After many years concentrating on mountain biking, I've rediscovered the joy of training on the road, but my gear needs some TLC. The question is whether it's worth getting the frame resprayed and reset to 130mm spacing as the basis of a "refresh" project, or if I should just replace the whole shebang?

I know this is a rather subjective question, but I'd be interested to hear opinions from people who have gone down the restore vs. replace route. I'm never going to set the world alight with my cycling performance, but would throwing £1000 at a modern off-the-peg alu or carbon machine really offer much more than a traditional steel frame, light handbuilt wheels, and a modern 10 speed drivetrain?

Cheers,
Pete

Comments

• tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    probably not worth spending much money on.

I had the same dilemma. I reset it to 130mm myself and replaced the bare minimum of kit to turn it into a commuting bike. (rear hub, cassette, chain, chainset, changers, rear mech).

I reckon I still spent close to £200 and I could have got a complete bike that weighs roughly the same for that. But then it is still my frame, custom built for me 20 odd years ago and I wasn't quite prepared to put it in a skip just yet.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    I had an 1988 Raleigh 531c bike that I sold to raise cash for a new tourer - I really regret it

so, I guess I'd say restore, eventhough it'll probably cost more - you'll have a classier ride!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I bought a Graham Weigh 531c frame off a mate and converted it into a fixie, I am really happy with it. So there's another option for you.
    <a>road</a>
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    I recently went to stay with my parents and dug out my 653 Graham Weigh (probably a similar vintage to yours) from their garage and went for a couple of rides on it. It gave me as much enjoyment as riding my full-carbon Colnago - the only real difference being that it was perceptably heavier to pick up. So, in qualitative terms, if you like the frame then why not breathe some new life into it? (I reckon at some point in the near future, steel bikes will be rediscovered as the 'must have' custom antidote to the swathes of carbon, Ti and alloy we see today - infact, it's already happening in significant numbers with the US bespoke bike scene).

Sadly, there's a financial issue to take into account. On a very rough estimate, I reckon to respray, fit say a Tiagra groupset, Mavic Aksiums, new finishing kit and sundries is going to set you back around 500 quid. For that kind of money you can start thinking about reasonable road bikes (especially at this time of year, shops are already beginning to heavily discount 2008 bikes in anticipation of their new 2009 stock).

One potential solution might be to buy a new bike, then, if you rediscover the road riding bug, as you upgrade components on the new bike, fit the cast-offs to the Graham Weigh. Slowly but surely you will ressurrect it and you'll have something for winter training too.

Don't sell it or throw it away though - spray some frame saver / WD40 down the tubes, and even if it sits in your garage for another ten years, it'll still be as good a frame in the future as it is today (and so just as worthy a candidate for a rebuild).

Or, as mentioned, turn it into a fixie. It's always worth having one of those.

Remember, you can never have too many bikes!
  • Depends on what you mean by restore - new 105 groupset and decent wheels alone will be iro £550 - could get a new 105 Boardman or Ribble for £699, or an Ultegra Ribble/Focus for iro £1000.
    In some Bikehuts there are 2006 105 equipped bikes for £350 - if you like Carrera - depends what you want a bike for.
    When I had the same problem I bought a second hand Tour de france replica for £600 - full carbon and Campag Chorus built by the owner of a bike shop- fantastic,hardly used, frame alone retailed for £850. Regretted selling it 18 months later - but got my money back! If you can find something similar I would take that route as long as the seller is reputable .
    I have an old 531c bike - bought for £80 spent £200 on it - its ok but there is no comparison with the carbon bke I had and I normally ride my rigid mtb with slicks on it - fine for most rides.
    Given a set budget I would get the best equipped bike i could - new or used - you would get more than if you spent the same money on a restoration, and be able to ride it straight away!
  • pete_d-2
    pete_d-2 Posts: 6
    Wow, I hadn't expected such a rapid flurry of responses!

It's all common sense so far. I would probably need to spend £200 on new bits of drivetrain, cables, tapes etc, plus whatever it cost to have the frame resprayed, which is a large sunk investment in an old bike. All the rest of the finishing kit is top notch (Cinelli bars/stem, etc) and in keeping with the age of the frame. Wheels are Mavic Opens handbuilt on Ultegra 32h hubs and just need a slight re-true and some new rubber to be as good as new - certainly better than on a £5-600 bike, I'd hope!

I think I'll have another look at whether the frame can be cleaned and touched up without a respray as that will make the whole process much more cost effective.

Thanks for all the advice.

Pete
  • I was in a similar dilemma about 10 years ago when I was getting back into cycling. I dug my brother's old Raleigh in 631 steel with a lovely Suntour chainset out of the garage and did it up a bit. Put some new wheels on it, new brake leavers (not STI) and generally cleaned it up.

It was a lovely ride, and did me good service, not least on a 12 mile a day, all year round commute between 1999-2003. By then I had a bit more money to spend and bought a new Alu bike with Tiagra STIs - blinded by the new technology a bit I think.

By this point the Raleigh frame was scruffy again and it was relegated to a corner of the garage until we moved house in 2004. At this point - and I shudder to type this - I chucked it. Instantly regretted doing so, a feeling that has got stronger and stronger ever since. It would have made a fantastic frame for a single speed conversion - lovely light springy steel and horizontal dropouts. And I took it down the tip.

I took it down the TIP. :(

So even if you decide to go for a new bike, hang on to the old frame. You never know when you might want it again.
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you're getting it resprayed, argos in bristol are excellent.
  • wjws
    wjws Posts: 140
    I upgraded an old Raleigh Special Products 853 frame with new 105 10 speed and open pros on shimano hubs - total cost about £700.

Don't regret a penny of the money I spent. My bike is "my bike"; and does me fine on both the daily commute and the weekend spin with the Dynamos.

My only regret is not putting ultegra on it....
  • wjws
    wjws Posts: 140
    EDIT - Double post
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    A good paint job will cost over £100 easily with transfers - think I may be looking at nearly £200 if I decide to do my Herety SLX one day - although still looks great.

If you have a bike you like, then why not. I love my Ribble 653, great bike, not quite as good as the Herety, but that's had a harder life so will be re-painted first.

If you have a bike you like, it fit's great, then why not keep it - I know we all lust after the latest carbon, but it's the engine that counts !!!!
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    I had a similar dilemma with an old Williams 531 frame that I had had for many years. In the end I spent a minimum amount of cash on it converting it to a s/speed - fixed, and commuted and trained on it.

There are so many bargain priced road bikes about these days from entry to pro level I wouldn't even entertain the idea of bringing it upto date.

I did the same thing with my Daccordi - Columbus EL frame, had the frame paint stripped, then chrome stripped, rust treated, re chromed, resprayed, custom decals, 10 speed Campag gruppo, new wheels etc, you can imagine how much it cost :shock: ££££££s

Do yourself a favour leave it in the garage and smile at it, while it brings back fond memories, while you push your modern ride out of the garage for a Sunday morning Cafe run.

I know there is always room for nostalgia :roll: , but it can bring on unwanted cash outlay and timescale worries - trust me :cry: .
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy
    If you are after a respray I can highly recommend Mercian of Derby - Top Class retro finishers...

http://www.merciancycles.com/renovation.asp
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    I have a similar dilemma - can I make a fixie if the frame has vertical dropouts?
  • broachboy
    normanp wrote:
    I have a similar dilemma - can I make a fixie if the frame has vertical dropouts?

Hmmmm fixed with vertical D/Os :roll:

You could if you made use of one of these or similar...

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=720&catalogId=39

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html ....Good Reading

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread5072.html ....further reading

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/chain/product/slink-half-link-narrow-31664 ....If required a half link chain...

:idea: You may find a better option is to go for a Single Speed set up with a tensioner
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Re the first post about the 531

Why not make it something a little different/special. Get it repainted maybe a single colour to keep the cost down (or powder coat) and make it into a fixed/single speed with a flip flop hub :P eg Goldtech/Phil Wood or a more affordable on-one. Fit Nitto parts eg quill stem/bars/seat-post and a nice saddle. It won't be cheap and these are just suggestions for nice parts that you can probably find cheaper alternatives for. But you obviously have good memories about the frame and these sort of bikes make ideal ss/fixed.

www.velorange.com

www.rivbike.com

www.hubjub.co.uk
    M.Rushton
  • After a bit of thought, I'm going to give the singlespeed route a try after the summer; the frame has horizontal dropouts, so it should lend itself to s/s quite well. Powdercoating seems the cost effective way to get the frame looking good again, then I'll give it a try with a s/s freehub adaptor to see if I can get used to the s/s way of life. I'll worry about flip-flop hubs etc later on!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Pete
  • normanp
    Thanks broachboy. That eccentric hub is a beautiful thing - but rather expensive. I think I'll go for single speed with a tensioner like:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/Product/0/chgussfk/gussetbachelorsinglespeedtensioner.html
    (is this ok?)
    ... then get hold of a pair of cheap wheels...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    If you do resurrect it, do it for nostalgia and decide in advance that it's worth it for that reason.

I too have an old 531 bike sitting in the garage at my mum's house. Haven't looked at it for a while, but I'll be visiting in a few weeks and I'm planning to take some measurements...

This bike was originally a Viking Vision sports/road bike, circa early '80s. It originally belonged to my father but he never used it and it became my first road bike. I rode it most days in the early 90s and modified it in all sorts of ways, but it still has 27" wheels, centre pull brakes and a 5 speed freewheel block with friction shifters. Problem is that the brake reach was really long even with 27" wheels, and I've a nasty feeling the dropout spacing might be 120... It wasn't even a high-end bike in its day, I think maybe only the main tubes are 531. I loved that bike though and always liked the way it rode. I took it out for a spin a year or two ago and it still felt great!

So here's the mad, hopelessly romantic plan. I've got an Alu Bianchi Axis cross bike with Ritchey cranks and Ksyrium Elite wheels I use as a commuter / winter bike. I've never really got on with it though, I just don't like the feel of the frame. So... I get a brand new entire rear triangle brazed to the old 531 frame and have it resprayed my favourite colour. :) That simultaneously solves the brake reach problem, the dropout spacing problem, and allows me to specify nice short chainstays for racy ride. I move as much of the stuff over from the Bianchi as will fit (probably everything except the seatpost, brakes and bottom bracket) and I have I nice new steel bike with the heart of my old road bike...

Am I completely mad to even consider this?
  • broachboy
    normanp wrote:

Yeah norm that will do nicely :wink: If you can't be bothered with a fip / flop or don't want to outlay the cash, use some old Shimano 8 / 9 speed wheels and one of these as I did...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17776

8) :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Many of us have bikes like this. It's a very difficult call, but the maths doesn't stack up.

My last bike I thought I'd turn into a commuter, then a tourer, and then I sold it, and I'm glad I did.

And at my parents' I have my first "proper" bike - a Raleigh Team Corsa. Nothing special, but 531C chrome forks and a few other extras. I thought about turning it into a fixie (£200 at least, surely not worth it when I can get a new and solid fix for £400), or into a commuter (don't think the drivetrain or wheels would last long though).

In the end I threatened to sell it for a few quid but my Dad, a good racer in the 60s, freaked out. "I use it to pick up the newspapers!" he said. So I'll leave it with them.

In the end, you're either doing it to look good (lookit all the messengers and fakengers in London) or to find your inner child. Neither is going to make tech or financial sense.

If you've got the cash and space, go for it.
  • ps I should add that I could probs convert my Corsa for less than £200. That was a full on conversion as specced by my LBS. Barebones would still be well over £100. Wheels are the issue?
  • normanp
    Thanks again broachboy. So the total cost for the conversion to singlespeed is £27. Both parts are from Gusset and out of stock though - I wonder if it is possible to buy direct from Gusset?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I have same dilemma...an old 531c...mine's a bit tatty but it's not done many miles and it's so comfy (compared to an ally framed Sirrus)!

I picked up some second hand wheels (handbuilt MA3s on 105) but need to sort the drivetrain! And brakes that work

One thought: if you have tatty bits you can fit, you can use it as a hack, and upgrade over time - that's what I'm doing

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    With so many of these projects, I think it really depends on the quality/fit of the frame - it's not worth it with some of the cheaper 501/531 jobs but if the ride quality is there and you can get around the brake drop issue and it doesn't need to be 'restored' with a proper pro respray then it's worth doing.

One more argument which hasn't been mentioned is simply not to waste! You might get a cheap alu frame bike for the same price but it won't be as nice (you'll end up having to upgrade bits) and it won't be as unique/personal..... it also won't mean yet another load of scrap metal to process after your far eastern frame has landed.
  • I bought a Raleigh Road Ace (531) complete for £175 second-hand in 1991. I spent about £1100 on it over the years until nothing original remained but the frame & forks, which I'd had beautifully resprayed by Bob Jackson's in my own colour scheme.

The Frame & Forks are now in my attic where they've been for four years, because I can't bear to part with it and I'd only get sixpence for it if I sold it.

However, when my current (853) Rubble breaks (again) I'll happily get it out of retirement and use it for another 25000 miles...
  • I've ridden a 531c 1987 Mercian Pro since I purchased the frame in 1988. I upgraded this past winter to a full Ultegra group, Velocity rims, Look pedals, Thomson stem and King headset. I couldn't be happier with the results, and my old friend is better than ever. The original finish is in excellent shape so there was no need for the respray but it's all new save for the Cinelli bars. Pics of the enitre process are at http://andyscherer.com/bicycle.aspx
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    I've ridden a 531c 1987 Mercian Pro since I purchased the frame in 1988. I upgraded this past winter to a full Ultegra group, Velocity rims, Look pedals, Thomson stem and King headset. I couldn't be happier with the results, and my old friend is better than ever. The original finish is in excellent shape so there was no need for the respray but it's all new save for the Cinelli bars. Pics of the enitre process are at http://andyscherer.com/bicycle.aspx

Andy..my warm congratulations on a thorough and detailed restore....I so enjoyed your pics.

Keeping a great steel frame alive is worth more than money can tell...enjoy.

A carbon, disposable razor like frame will go the way of all things sans character.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • broachboy
    normanp wrote:
    I wonder if it is possible to buy direct from Gusset?

Not so sure Norm :? but they do have a big dealer network ...

http://www.gussetbikes.com/gusset/dealers-mtb-uk.php

:wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018