edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
anyone had any dealings with this?
for £999 it seems a bit of a bargain.

I need to spend a 1k on a bike!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good value, but not ridden one.

It's been mentioned a couple of times this past wekk, be useful to do a quick thread search for the comments.

What riding will you be doing, is it the right type of bike for you?
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    excuse my laziness! il search in a minute

i will mostly be riding to work with it. I did toy with the idea of a hybrid, but i just dont like them. I currently ride a GT agreessor XC1.
    Il be doing the odd bit of trail riding as well. My ride to work is mostly country roads.

It has to be a mountain bike before people start saying get a road bike! lol
  • supersonic
    Money has gone into the frame - the other components are good, but a little more weighty than some others.

The Boardman Pro bike for the same money is a couple of pounds less.
  • johnsav
    funny you should say that - the boardman WAS my absolute first choice.
    But bikehut reckon its a wait until early september and im just not willing to wait that long. shame really.
  • supersonic
    I would guess that the Titan will be reduced by then too!
  • johnsav
    well i dont mind about reductions really, whatever i get is going to be purchased on the C2W scheme.
  • supersonic
    I see, you usually have to go at RRP.

Seems a good choice then! Some slick tyres for the road as well, and you are laughing.
  • johnsav
    haha yeah, thanks for the help... theres too much damn choice out there thats the problem.

Mind you, i just weighed my GT and its 30.6lb with spd's on.
    Halfords reckon the titan is 25lb so thats a good start i guess.
  • supersonic
    In some cases Halfords can order in from other companies for this scheme, but makes them harder to try out/sit on for size.

The Zaskar Expert is a good, no nonense speed machine. Not the best value, but racy, light, and classic frame.
  • johnsav
    Yeah, id heard this too.

As far as GT's go though, i think im right in saying that halfords have there own "versions" of the mainstream GT range?

For example, the zaskar you mention is probably similar to what halfords call the Agressor Elite?
  • supersonic
    Yes, Halfords do the Aggressor range, though they are analogous to the Avalanche rather than Zaskar.
  • johnsav
    ahh ok... and looking at the GT website, some mixing and matching of components!
  • johnsav
    Just thought id add to this thread, I got the carrera titan on monday and im V V pleased with it. Aside from the horrible white saddle its a really nice looking bike. I find it rides really nicely and the components all feel superb. This is my first bike with SRAM gearing and christ do i notice a big difference! X9 rear mech is lightning fast and so much more accurate than any shimano mech ive used.
    Bikehut in Brighton did a really good job setting it up as well and were genuinely helpfull and enthusiastic.

Anyway, hope this helps other people that have asked the same questions as me.
  • technics
    technics Posts: 6
    I have just bought a Carrera Titan and thought i should let people know how good this is.
    Firstly i am not a novice. I race bikes, road and mountain.
    The main problem with this bike is the name... Carrera because it comes from Halfords. Well get over the snobbery because you are missing out. It has a full carbon frame, Reba SL forks and a mix of Sram X9 and X7 part with Avid Elir R brakes. By now most of you should know that alot of brands have their carbon frames made in one of two factories in Taiwan, Merida or Giant. I believe Merida makes Specialized and Scott for instance. This frame is made by Merida. In fact the carbon looks exactly the same as my Specialized Roubaix. I believe the bike is set up wrong. It comes with very wide risers. I shelled these for a flat bar, put on a lighter stem, seatpost and saddle and fitted Kenda Small Block 8 tyres. Now i have an extremely comfortable MTB race bike that flies. It could be lighter. Mine weight 24 1/2 pounds. The wheels are Mavic 317 of Formula Hubs (Formula is another Taiwanese company who makes other brands). A set of decent wheels would loose you another 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. But i am happy with mine as it is. I didn't buy it to spend money on allthough it is work upgrading.
    I paid £700 for a new one from someone who bought through ride to work scheme and did not want it. It was 2 days old and unridden. A similar bike/quality from a big brand would cost you over £2000.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    technics wrote:
    I have just bought a Carrera Titan...
    I paid £700 for a new one from someone who bought through ride to work scheme and did not want it. It was 2 days old and unridden.

Not your problem but if it was the 'Cycle to Work' scheme then the bike isn't technically theirs to sell :shock:

Few people in my place got a bit of a shock when they wanted to do this and read the small print in the paperwork!

You've got a bargain though :)

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Had a short go on one of these a while back, felt like a proper XC missile, very stiff and direct. If the Boardman was available, it's a better bike for the money, no real doubt of that TBH, but for a grand the Carrera's still brilliant. I'd want to replace the wheels myself though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • technics
    If you are judging the Boardman as a package, that is the parts and frame then yes, the Boardman for the same money has better parts. Upgrades of Exlir Carbon brakes, Reba Race etc. But it is an alloy frame and you have to like riding an alloy framed hardtail to own one. I have a Specialized S Works frame (2002 US made race version) built with newer XTR parts which i have used for racing. It's light but bloody uncomfortable. To be honest i havn't ridden it apart from racing for this reason and stuck with my full susser. I find alloy is very harsh and jittery. I have ridden a Boardman and allthough not as harsh it still has similar characteristics. I had no intention of getting rid of my Specialized but now am after purchsing the Titan. It is so much more comfortable and feels as if it floats with the Kenda Small Block tyres i have put on it. It also has a fairly short top tube compared with a Giant XTC and my Specialized for example which i prefer. I would choose the Titan over the Boardman for this reason and spend a few hundred quid to shed a pound or two in weight.
    Incidently if you buy a bike from Halfords have a good look over it when you first get it. I can only talk of my experience but nothing was greased or lubricated. Many things were overtightened. I needed a 16 inch extension on my bottom bracket tool to get the leverage so i could loosen and lube the bottom bracket. May have just been bad luck.
  • technics
    If you are judging the Boardman as a package, that is the parts and frame then yes, the Boardman for the same money has better parts. Upgrades of Exlir Carbon brakes, Reba Race etc. But it is an alloy frame and you have to like riding an alloy framed hardtail to own one. I have a Specialized S Works frame (2002 US made race version) built with newer XTR parts which i have used for racing. It's light but bloody uncomfortable. To be honest i havn't ridden it apart from racing for this reason and stuck with my full susser. I find alloy is very harsh and jittery. I have ridden a Boardman and allthough not as harsh it still has similar characteristics. I had no intention of getting rid of my Specialized but now am after purchsing the Titan. It is so much more comfortable and feels as if it floats with the Kenda Small Block tyres i have put on it. It also has a fairly short top tube compared with a Giant XTC and my Specialized for example which i prefer. I would choose the Titan over the Boardman for this reason and spend a few hundred quid to shed a pound or two in weight.
    Incidently if you buy a bike from Halfords have a good look over it when you first get it. I can only talk of my experience but nothing was greased or lubricated. Many things were overtightened. I needed a 16 inch extension on my bottom bracket tool to get the leverage so i could loosen and lube the bottom bracket. May have just been bad luck.