Is this commencal an unmissable deal? Will it suit my Needs?

Dalski
Dalski Posts: 17
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello all

I'm looking to buy a hardtail mountain bike and my absolute top end is £400. The initial considerations are.....

ALL bikes are 2008 Models

Specialized Hardrock Pro. After good reviews from many people on many sites
Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc. After a good review on this site
Carrera Kraken. After a good review on this site
Kona Blast. £399 in Evans cycles sale
Commencal Combi Disc. £375 in Merlin cycles sale (Massively discounted)
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=129

I am vearing towards to Commencal as I have seen it compared to bikes out of my price range and to my untrained eye it seems to have a lot better components than the other bikes listed (apart from maybe the Kona) - The price stated is only valid this week so some fast replies would be great. Also open to suggestions for other bikes within price range.

I know a fair few of you will say it depends on what type of riding I will be doing which will be... general commuting, after work burn about on roads / paved area's and no doubt some weekend off-road stuff will be in the mix (I'd like to mention that I have a tendancy to do stuff like riding down stairs as opposed to the ramps at subways and footbridges and I also like riding hard and fast - afterall cycling is all about fun right?) I guess what i'm saying is I need a bike that can take a bit of stick!

Being able to test ride all of the bikes is impossible for me as I cant find dealers for all makes anywhere nearby (and I dont drive)

Some unbiased and founded suggestions as to what bike would best suit my needs / pocket would be greatly appreciated. Technical speak / comparisons are also welcome.

Thank you all in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a great deal, getting a lot of kit for the money and impressive low weight. MUCH better than the Kona or Hardrock, which weigh a lot more, have crap forks, and inferior parts.
  • supersonic
    Actually the Blast has the Dart fork which is ok, thought the sale one would be an older model. Still, rubbish spec really.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'd go for the Carrera Kracken. Most of the other bikes are xc based, whereas the kracken is a little bit more trail based so should stand up to a little more abuse. It also has a damped fork which will stop you pogoing down the trails, the fork also has a lockout for road use (some of the others do, but they don't have rebound damping)

The Kona is well underspecced for the full RRP, and not that good value (IMHO)

The Commencal is good value, but more of an XC bike

The Gary Fisher has very unique geometry and upgrading forks might be an issue as GF use a completely different offset to any other manufacturer, again it's an XC bike.

The Spesh is pretty abuse friendly, but with a weight penalty & no the best spec.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Dalski
    Guy's....Firstly, I cannot believe the speed of the response on this site - awesome!

I have always been a bit tetchy about the Kona to be honest and was bottom of my list the whole time so I already guess this is out!!! Consider the Kona GONE!

However, I have just found another bike which is in a sale at £430 which is over my alloted cash ceiling by 30quid - The GT Avalanche 1.0. I would like to replace the Kona in my list with this bike. Can it take the Abuse? You views on spec and brutality rating? Is it heavy?

Thanks again in advance.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    edited July 2008
    The GT Avalanche is very good for the money but I think I would still take the Commencal at that price. Its such a good spec
    Also a much cooler bike than the GT if that makes a difference :wink:
    Bit more info on it here (although last years)
    http://www.mtbrider.com/mtbr/showthread.php?t=8729
  • supersonic
    Its a tough frame! WMB rated the Avalanche as the best 500 quid bike they had ever tested, so rest assured a quality piece of kit. Has a good spec too.

Is hard to say if they suit without testing, and getting the right size will take careful research ie the Avalanche is a little shorter in the top tube and more upright than say the Gary Fisher.
  • Andy B
    edited July 2008
    :oops:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Carrera Kracken with the GT a close second... Or is there a Boardman out there at the price?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Andy_B wrote:
    This: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_106167 is a much better specced GT than the Avalanche ;)

The Avalanche 1.0 is much better specced! 27 speed, better fork, lighter frame!
  • Andy B
    Oops, was looking at the wrong spec :oops:
  • supersonic
    Andy_B wrote:
    Oops, was looking at the wrong spec :oops:

I thought you were hehe.
  • Andy B
    Too many windows open!

And it's still roasting in my house ;)
  • supersonic
    Lovely and cool here now, gentle breeze. looks like rain though.
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    not a fair comparison on cost but this bike is good spec for £540.

00001528.jpg
  • Dalski
    The GT Avalanche is very good for the money but I think I would still take the Commencal at that price. Its such a good spec
    Also a much cooler bike than the GT if that makes a difference :wink:
    Bit more info on it here (although last years)
    http://www.mtbrider.com/mtbr/showthread.php?t=8729

Thanks Realnumber 1 - I've already seen this site in my quest for answers, some great info though. To be totally honest, I actually prefer the look of the GT

Anyone have any idea on the weight of the GT? Cant seem to find a spec stating this anywhere. Noticed this also has rebound damping and I think I would put this above the Kraken in my list. I think im losing interest in the Gary Fisher and Supersonics "Much better than the Hardrock" Statement is kind of ruling out the Specialized too (even though it was the first bike I was thinking of getting before the Commencal come into play.

You guys are great so far, thanks.
  • supersonic
    Canjt remember what MBUK weighed it at: 30llbs without pedals I think.

The Hardrocks just don't have the forks or spec to compete.
  • Dalski
    Larok wrote:
    not a fair comparison on cost but this bike is good spec for £540.

It's a bit out of my price range Larok - nice tho!
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    If you like the Avalanche then its certainly not a bad thing. My brother has one and 30lb without pedals sounds about right comparing it to mine
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Get the commencal, i have that very model, paid 600 quid for mine though :cry:

Its a canny burly frame, i've had down allsorts and it feels great, and even though their Dart 2's on it, they have Dart 3 specs, lockout, rebound, compression, all that stuff.
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    Slightly over budget, but Halfords are offering 10% off bikes at the moment so the Carrera Fury is £450.

You get excellent forks, decent disks and good components. I've had mine for a month now and am very impressed!

Chrsi
  • Dalski
    Ok, a couple of days on, 2 MTB magazines and some more research and i'm starting to think I may spend some more of my hard earned spondoolies on a better bike.

After reading the WMB awards edition I've been eyeing up the Saracen Zen 1 which looks pretty damn awesome, even more so that i've found the 2008 model online for £100 cheaper than the RRP @ £549....this is making me think maybe I can stretch to this as the original £400 ceiling was because that was all I wanted to spend and not because that was all I could afford (although i really really wouldn't spend more than £550) This would also bring the Commencal that Larok mentioned into play which is down from £799 to £540. The problem I have with either of the Commencals is that i cant find anywhere nearby that sells them so I can go and test ride one - I'm not spending £540 or even £375 blind.

A few questions...

Does anyone know a Commencal stockist in London / Essex where I can go and test ride the Commencals?

Will the 130mm fork on the Zen 1 have an impact on road / commuting journeys compared to a 100mm fork?

Why the hell wasn't the GT Avalanche 1.0 in the WMB top 3 sub £500 hardtails when the review I saw here said it was the most complete bike they had ever ridden for under £500?? (confoosed) lol

What are peoples view's on the frames of the COMMENCALS, GT AND SARACEN bikes mentioned? (The fact that the Saracen frame is the same on the Zen 1 as the Zen 3 really got my attention - this is good no?)

I'm planning on testing the GT and Saracen at the weekend - Maybe the Commencals too if I get a result here :D

Once again, thank you all in advance.
  • RVP
    RVP Posts: 42
    You can test ride Commencals at Bromley Bikes

The GT review was in last years WMB, things move on from then - tbh GT's aren't all that,
  • supersonic
    The GT is still the top 500 quid bike.. forget the name, go on the bike, and test it.

A 130mm travel hardcore hardtail will never be optimised for the road! Lockout forks help, but as above, test.

Try, try, and, erm, test.
  • RVP
    The GT is no way the top £500 bike

The Lapierre Tecnic, Rockhopper, Kona Blast, Commencal Normal and several others are far better than a tired old design with dodgy forks.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    RVP wrote:
    The GT is no way the top £500 bike

The Lapierre Tecnic, Rockhopper, Kona Blast, Commencal Normal and several others are far better than a tired old design with dodgy forks.

The Commmencal that has a crappy XCR fork and mech disc brakes? The Kona that comes with Dart 2s and 8 speed Deore/Acera/Alivio drivetrain? The Rockhopper and Lapierre are both good bikes, overall not really better that the GT. There is nothing wrong with the forks on the GT - I have heard several people say that they prefer them to Tora 302s. Nor is the design "tired" or "old". Yes, the company still uses its signature triple triangle frame design, but that does not make the frame design old. In fact the frame was updated and improved over the award winning frame from last year's bike.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • RVP
    I wonder what bike you ride :roll:

Also to the earlier list i'd add the Focus Fat Boy, Scott Aspect 45, Cube Attention Disc and the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 as better than the GT

BTW MBR rated the Kona as best sub £500 bike this year with the GT =4. The GT doesn't even feature in the top 3 in WMB either. Was a good bike 20 odd years ago
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would be interested to see how you can justify some of those as being better. I am not saying that the GT is THE best, that it is perfect or that it is the be all and end all of 500 quid bikes. However I believe that it is one of the best in my experience. Whilst I haven't seen the WMB review, I did read the mbr review and I disagreed with a number of points. I also stuggles to understand how the Blast came up top - it was one of the worst, if not the worst specced bike there. I know the frame, geometry and hadling count for a lot, but even so...
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    Andy_B wrote:
    The Gary Fisher has very unique geometry and upgrading forks might be an issue as GF use a completely different offset to any other manufacturer, again it's an XC bike.

This won't be an issue as the 08 Wahoo is the older Genesis geometry, so uses a standard fork. Fisher's newer G2 geometry uses customised forks (I think they have a different crown), but this is only being introduced on the lower end hardtails from the 09 models
  • dbbear
    dbbear Posts: 12
    Out of the Kracken and commencal which would be better for Glentress, I had been looking at kona but was put off after what people said here, same with teh speicalized.

Had been looking at the 2 above mentioned bikes along with the avalanche 2.0 & 1.0.

What would peoples thoughts be on them, I am hoping that I will upgrade the fork early next year (asking santa for a fork this christnas!)
  • RVP
    BlackSpur wrote:
    I would be interested to see how you can justify some of those as being better. I am not saying that the GT is THE best, that it is perfect or that it is the be all and end all of 500 quid bikes. However I believe that it is one of the best in my experience. Whilst I haven't seen the WMB review, I did read the mbr review and I disagreed with a number of points. I also stuggles to understand how the Blast came up top - it was one of the worst, if not the worst specced bike there. I know the frame, geometry and hadling count for a lot, but even so...

Fair enough if you want to ride a bike that was designed for the 80's (and still look likes an 80's bike) - As I said things move on Lapierre, Specialized, Cube, Focus, Kona Commencal, Decathlon, Kona, Scott etc etc all update their frames etc..And offer 10x the ride than the tired old GT design

GT are a disgrace for pumping out the same old frame year after year