Full suss mtb needed for £800

geofferz
geofferz Posts: 16
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
I can get a 2007 Gary Fisher Calibre for £800 down from £1350ish because it's last year's stock. As a novice (I know how to ride a bike but that's about it) I'm not bothered that it's last year's stock. A nice chap in the bike shop recommended this to me as the most bike for my buck but I wanted a second opinion.

I read that it might have mechanical disk brakes, and that's not good (right?) Can someone please confirm?

Alternatively any suggestions on £800 full-suss required for roading/some medium off-roading? I read the FAQ but there wasn't much for what I want. I didn't want to go above that and I may as well spend it, as I get 41% off with cycle2work so...yeah.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a very racy, xc bike, with short travel suspension - if that is what you want. Will he let you test it? It isnt very good value even at 800 quid.

Mechanical discs are usable, but take careful set up. Less to go wrong though.
  • geofferz
    Yeah - I'm testing it tomorrow but I don't really know what to look for. I'd like to get into xc and I don't want to have to upgrade too soon. I know it's only 80mm travel up front and I read something on this site (I think by you) that said 120-140mm is good, but I was just following the guy in the shop's advice.

So...maybe not my best option. I don't really know what I want but an all-rounder (I have my heart set on full suss - don't know why but I do) for £800 - what would you recommend?

Appreciate the advice btw.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How much travel is a question without a definitive answer, as it often boils down to personal preference, skill, budget, weight etc and especially the terrain you plan to ride. A very skilled rider can often do on a short travel bike what a novice can do with more travel. But a short travel bike can be perfect for easier trails as they are often much lighter than 5 and 6 inch travel bikes.

I'd go for a test, and then compare to a bike with say 4 or 5 inch of travel, and another with a bit more. In the end get whay feels best!
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    Try looking at the TREK FUEL EX 5.5 it is £100 pound over your budget but it looks like a fairly decent rig

fuelex55_black.jpg
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • geofferz
    TREK FUEL EX 5.5 looks good, but I really didn't want to go above £800 (or where does the limit end?!)

Any other suggestions? £800 - full suss - that's pretty much the brief. I guess a reasonable amount of travel on the front would be good for a novice like me but other than that...And yes - I'll definitely try them out before I buy them. If there's something better than the Gary Fisher you can recommend?
  • Remy_98
    Remy_98 Posts: 99
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec014904

quality bike, great deal and dont be a brand snob! lol
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I have to ask why do you want to go full sus? have you tryed a hardtail as at the £800 mark you get a bannging ht with good kit on it, also if you are still learning the off road skills like bunny hops and manuals then a hard tail would be a better tool to learn on as it makes you have these skills to handle the trails that you want to ride.

please im not bashing a 800 full sus just he was asking for another option.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have to ask why do you want to go full sus? have you tryed a hardtail as at the £800 mark you get a bannging ht with good kit on it, also if you are still learning the off road skills like bunny hops and manuals then a hard tail would be a better tool to learn on as it makes you have these skills to handle the trails that you want to ride.

please im not bashing a 800 full sus just he was asking for another option.

I agree with the velosimian. the OP says its for roading and medium offroading. £800 does get a LOT of hardtail.....and it would be far better on the roads than even the best equipped squishers.

though....i also appreciate that your brief does state full suss.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Giant Trance 3 £639 from Paul's Cycles - job done

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... _TRANCE_3_
  • geofferz
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations. I think I saw the Pinnacle in Evans when I was there. My missus is getting a Pinnacle Aura 1.0. I've read some good things about Kona too. I'll have a look tonight when I try out the Gary Fisher.

I'm not really sure why I fancy full suss, but if an ht would do the job and I can get more for my money then I'll definitely look into it. Both the guys in Evans had hard tails but didn't try and dissuade from going full suss. So how about the best ht for £800 with my above brief? Or just the best for that price, really.

Cheers

EDIT: I have to get it from Evans or Halfords on the cycle2work scheme
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    OR

Commencal Meta 5.5.3 from Merlin for £875 (slightly over budget I know)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=129

Win.
  • geofferz
    Thanks for all the help. I decided to go for a Mongoose Teocali Comp 08 in the end. It got a good write-up on this site and was £650 down from £800 at Evans.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mongoose/teocali-comp-2008-mountain-bike-ec000870

Very happy with my decision (so far!) which was based almost entirely on this http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/teocali-comp-08-30457 review - from Friday the 1st of August.

I'll probably be around here asking for help on how to maintain it next!

Thanks again