Nant Yr Arian v's Coed Y Brenin

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited July 2008 in MTB general
How does the Pendam train at Nant Yr Arian compare to the Tarw trail at Coed Y Brenin?
I know it's shorter but i must admit to finding Tarw a little difficult for me, being a novice (went round Yr Afon and that was toooooo easy)
I don't want to go on another weekend away to Nanty and find i've to walk bits of the trail again, it gives my confidence a battering :oops:
Thanks Peeps, Caz xxx

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you're nearer Coedy, they you could try the MBR trail. it's lots of fun, and there isn;t anything as tough as "snap crackle and pop" (from Tarw) on it, all the singletrack flows nicely.

I can't comment on how it compares to Nant though, I've never been there.
  • sparrowlegs78
    Don't laugh, but i set off on MBR and about 100 yards in i wimped out, got off and pushed back lol....got some funny looks from the visitor centre i can tell you!
    Yes i am a wet lettuce :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh. :roll:
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Hi Caz, we havent been to Nant-Yr-Arian so can't comment on that trail but did both the tawr and mbr at Coed-Y-Brenin a couple of weekends ago.
    We got back into mountain biking after a long lay off and started with local rides, building up through Cannock Chase and culminating in some weekends in Wales.
    I hope you can carry on going back and trying some more, please dont be put off by the tricky stuff, yes you may have to walk bits, there is certainly no shame in that as some of it is tricky, especially if you are only just learning. And although you may walk bits there will be bits that push you that you are capable of, and if you dont try you wont push your limits further each time.....
    Stick at it, and if you dont feel comfortable then get off and walk a bit until your nerves are calmed. The MBR trail is worth it, yes there are hard bits (a few drop offs) but when you get back to the cafe you'll sit back and be so chuffed you made it round it will be worth it! You will like the pink heiffer bit (if you dont i will eat my seatpost)...
    We went back to cannock at the weekend and found it a little uninspiring, nice singletrack but just not taxing at all, i.e. we have pushed our limits in 6 months that what at first seemed challenging is now just a nice ride...
  • sparrowlegs78
    I loved Rocky Horror show, i thought that was great fun.
    I am deffo going to go back and have another whack at it once i've done a few other quiter trails where i'll not hold peeps up, Llandegla is a deffo and Grizedale is planned for August ( wedding anniversary pressy off Hubby) :D
    Thanks for that help :D
    Caz xxx
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Nant yr Arian isn't so rocky as the Tarw trail, or the MBR - but is just as good as either.

Give it a go, it could be just what you're after.
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    I did the Tarw and the MBR trails the other day - really enjoyed them both :D

I did find the snap crackle and pop bits on the Tarw a bit scary at first, but there's a loop round on the fireroad which you can use to get back to the beginning of those bits, and so we rode them three times each, by the end of that i felt much more in control and actually found myself wishing there were more bits like that :lol:
  • Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    Another vote for sticking at it, you will be surprised what you can achieve. The rock garden start of the MBR trail is daunting and there are a few technical bits...it will seem easier the second time round as you know what it coming!

If you ride Tarw, again the bottom of the first section can be a little daunting, but it does get easier. You can also miss out Snap Crackle and Pop (I came a cropper there last time!)

Incidentally, in your pic your seat looks quite high, drop it down for the technical bits and you will feel less wobbly. Use flat pedals instead of clips/SPDs until your confidence is up, and hit the rocky bits at a brisk walking pace in the attack position (off saddle, pedals level, fingers over the brakes), allow the bike to move under you and momentum to carry you through the tricky bits.

You can also combine trails at CYB, take Badger (initial bit of MBR if your confidence is good) or the fireroad to Dreamtime, which you will LOVE. At the bottom of dreamtime then take the fireroad to Pink Heifer, then back over the bridge and take the Afon trail back to base.

Enjoy!