Halfords

commissoiner
commissoiner Posts: 65
edited July 2008 in MTB general
why do Halfords have such a bad name amongst the mtb community?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Here we go again ;-)

One reason is lots of stores, and a person is more likely to report a f up than a normal service.

2nd is that the head office don't seem to have a clue how the industry works, and put other things above customer service.

3rd they don't train staff, or the person that employs staff fits stereos.

BUT... there are good stores! Ones where the individuals make the store, where staff are good, trained and have a genuine passion for bikes. Like anywhere, it's finding a good store. Can't argue with the bikes at 200 quid up, they are simply superb.
  • bonyjoe
    bonyjoe Posts: 48
    They do not train their staff probably but they do tend to get some staff that are regular mountain bikers and like bikes, there full time bike staff are also usually very good but can be busy with more important things at times.

If you want good service don't go on an weekday evening, at the shop i work in they only have one part timer on the bike section at these times and they usually aren't great as they have only had basic training in putting a bike together and doing simple repairs.

Not all stores are bad but the whole company gets a bad name when customers get bad experiences from one shop.

They tend to have a bad customer service and a lot of the managers and deputies tend to think most problems they don't know the solution to are not their problem.

Thats all I can say really and this is just fro personal experience working there part time, I try to avoid buying anything from there that I don't know much about.
  • jon 0.1
    jon 0.1 Posts: 48
    theyre good bikes just for the punters that need something to get to and from work for the money they cost theyre dam good, just because were all looking at expensive beasties they seem pretty cr*p to us now. tbh i wouldnt get a bike from there but for anyone just getting going i wouldnt say you can go too far wrong
    just my opinion tho
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can get bikes upto a grand, such as carbon framed bikes, plus other brands.
  • bonyjoe
    bonyjoe Posts: 48
    They can also order in many grand+ bikes such as the expensive Kona's and GT's and also some of the boardmans in store are well over a grand.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Use Bikehut instead! My experience with them so favour have been very favourable - I've used the branch in Putney.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    bikehut is halfords?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    why do Halfords have such a bad name amongst the mtb community?

Because they sell people overweight bikes with suspension that'll seize in no time and hence put people off cycling?
  • ashleymp777
    bikehut is halfords?

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

Perhaps I should re-word my post and say that, if you have to use Halfords for whatever reason (cycle to work scheme for instance), then you'd be better off going to Bikehut.
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    bikehut is halfords?

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

Perhaps I should re-word my post and say that, if you have to use Halfords for whatever reason (cycle to work scheme for instance), then you'd be better off going to Bikehut.

The Bikehut is IN the Halfords store, its the name if the Cycles department.
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • ashleymp777
    No, there are seperately branded shops
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really. bikehut is what Halfords call the bike area of there stores.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    there are also bikehuts without halfords, I saw the putney one
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ride_whenever
    where is putney? must be down sarf, i dont get to go into a halfords often.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sweepy
    sweepy Posts: 3
    http://www.bikehut.com/

bikehut is the name of the bike dept in halfords, but they also have a standalone offering........the newest one in st pauls has been open about 6 weeks, they stock rocky moutain, oakley, animal clothing.........

top stuff!!!!!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    and not a car stereo in sight