Afan campsite

xcracer
xcracer Posts: 298
edited August 2008 in MTB general
Hi

I'm just planning an Afan trip for a few weeks time. I see that there are two campsites; one at the Afan Forest visitor centre and one at Glyncorrwg. Any idea which is best?

Are there any other good budget accomodation options nearby?

Comments

• Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Obviously camping is the lowest budget option going, but we've just booked up a cottage for 4 of us for £240 for 3 nights (£60 each for the whole weekend) in October.

The cottage sleeps 6 so that price gets even cheaper(!)

We've not been before, but looks nice, just my twopenneth....

Can PM some details if you want them.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I've not been to the main Afan centre, but Glyncorrwg has the lovely Dropoff Cafe, Skyline Cycles (who seem to sort minor issues for free most of the time) and the start point for Whites Level (most people's fave) and the epic Skyline killer loop.

For me it would be the best base...
  • xcracer
    Thanks BMJ for the offer but there are only two of us going so hiring a big place would be expensive.
  • Bmjboy
    No problem, does get expensive when only a couple of you go, but camping's a hoot anyway (Only if the weather is good though!)

Cant wait to get over there myself!

• I am going up this Thursday to stay for 3 nights at the Glyncorrwg campsite... What I would like to know is, how far is the nearest pub?? Nothing better than a nice refreshing beer after a long day on the trails...

I will let you know what the facilities are like at Glyncorrwg...

Also any advice for an Afan Newbee???

I think we are planning for the Skyline trail as well...

Also any essential stuff people would recommend carrying?
  • xcracer
    I think there's a bar on the site.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    You should camp at Glyncorrwg, ground isn't flat at Afan centre.

Nearest pub? Drop Off Cafe sells plenty of cold bottled beers and has been open late even when I camped in October last year.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    We stayed here

http://www.cottagessouthwales.com/

Yr Hen Stabl

Great place, great people, 20 mins from Afan centre. Good prices too.

As far as trails, try Whites level. We also did The Wall and Pehydd, but Whites was far better IMHO.
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    wordnumb wrote:
    You should camp at Glyncorrwg, ground isn't flat at Afan centre.

Nearest pub? Drop Off Cafe sells plenty of cold bottled beers and has been open late even when I camped in October last year.
    Was there myself this Friday+Saturday.
    Eaten alive by the midgies, though. Just counted 28 bites on my right arm alone (insects love me, and I also react badly to the bites - doh).

The Dropoff was going until around midnight.
    Can't sell beer past 11pm, so worked on a pay-in-the-morning basis - but, don't quote me on that.

Absolute sod getting breakfast in the morning, though. The wait was over 1hr.
    Quite why they can't have a whole stack of bacon/sausages/etc all ready to go, and just dish it out, is beyond me. Instead, they seem to cook/prepare to order.
    Bet it would have been better (in the morning) if Ian had been there. But, he was there until closing on Sat night, so I'll let him off!!

Great place, though.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    We stayed here

http://www.cottagessouthwales.com/

Yr Hen Stabl

Great place, great people, 20 mins from Afan centre. Good prices too.

As far as trails, try Whites level. We also did The Wall and Pehydd, but Whites was far better IMHO.
    Do you mind me asking rough prices? I cant see any on the site. Would be looking at a weekend trip away with the missus and this looks perfect.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • xcracer
    Yes, we're also considering B&B's etc. Any more recommendations? The cheaper the better!
  • Bmjboy
    Theres this B&B:

http://www.brynteghouse.com/index.html

We have booked the cottage they own next door for our little trip.

There is a pub 1 road away apparently (This swayed the group decision)

Right next to the Wall Trail apparently.

We havent been before so cannot comment on what its like yet.

• Glyncorrwg every time. The Dropoff is brilliant - they do a cracking chilli!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • BigJimmyB
    Chris`I wrote:
    Do you mind me asking rough prices? I cant see any on the site. Would be looking at a weekend trip away with the missus and this looks perfect.

Chris, very reasonable as I recall. I think Yr Hen Stabl was £80 per night in May/June. Three of stayed for 2 nights and it cost us about £55 each.

The other (smaller) cottage which is attached to the main farmhouse was about £60 PN I think, or thereabouts.

Really nice place and run by a lovely couple too.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Chris`I wrote:

Chris, very reasonable as I recall. I think Yr Hen Stabl was £80 per night in May/June. Three of stayed for 2 nights and it cost us about £55 each.

The other (smaller) cottage which is attached to the main farmhouse was about £60 PN I think, or thereabouts.

Really nice place and run by a lovely couple too.
    Thanks Jimmy, those prices seem very reasonable! I can see it getting booked up quick now :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • BigJimmyB
    I've probably blown it for getting in there again myself!

Hope you like it. Tell Merf and Margaret I recommended it to you.