Kinesis Racelight

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Morning forum people...

Are the range of Kinesis Racelight road frames compact sloping geometry ? I am about to take the plunge and buy one - it seems that I need a 54cm giving a c to c size of 50cms, so unless this frame was of a similar design to the Giant TCR its gonna be too small, anyone know... ?
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The KiC2 and the RC are definitely, as is the KR-810, but the Racelight T and TK, and indeed the Gran Fondo LTD are traditional geometry.

Have a look at the geometries on their web site or you could always email Dom Mason at Kinesis directly.

http://kinesisbikes.co.uk
  • i just bought the rc2 which i had to get in the smallest size, 45. this was the equivalent in my exisitng frame of 53 (small), which also has sloping geometry.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    broachboy wrote:
    Morning forum people...

Are the range of Kinesis Racelight road frames compact sloping geometry ? I am about to take the plunge and buy one - it seems that I need a 54cm giving a c to c size of 50cms, so unless this frame was of a similar design to the Giant TCR its gonna be too small, anyone know... ?

I have the Carbon KR810 Racelight frame and that's sloping. I have the 48cm size, and I normally fit a 52cm horizontal tt frame. I'm 5'7". Apparently, the smaller frames slope more than the larger ones. Mine doesn't look to be as compact as the TCR, but I've never ridden a TCR.
  • broachboy
    Thanks for the replies folks :wink: I read them with interest :) :? :shock: I have in fact ordered a 54cm KiC2, based on the Kinesis website geometries, which I though would give me a frame sized somewhat similar to my size M TCR with a 50cm seat tube. I am 5' 9" and have a 30" inside leg, I just hope its right now, :idea: mind you I could always send it back and swop for another size.
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    The racelight TK is slightly sloping . I believe the t is the same . Having said that , Dom at upgrade is extremely helpful . Pretty sure he'll answer any of your questions about his frames better than anyone on the forum .
    Luke
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    The KiC2 and the RC are definitely, as is the KR-810, but the Racelight T and TK, and indeed the Gran Fondo LTD are traditional geometry.

Have a look at the geometries on their web site or you could always email Dom Mason at Kinesis directly.

http://kinesisbikes.co.uk

+1 for a e-mail to Dom. He was really helpful when I had some questions on from Kinesis forks I was looking at.
  • giant_man
    yes top bloke isn't he. Always got time for people which is important.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    +3 for the Dom thing. The most helpful guy I've ever dealt with.

In relation to the OP, you should be buying a bike based on the effective top tube length. I reckon that's the most important measurement on a bike. I've ridden everything from a 56 to a 61 and as long as the reach is within a cm or so of my ideal it'll be comfortable. It's easy to adjust saddle height, less so with reach.
  • broachboy
    Thanks for all the replies guys :wink:

I did in fact email Kinesis before I struck up this post, I haven't had a reply of yet, but then I didn't email to anyone specific. I thought of resending the email to Doms address, but if he has already seen it he may think I am hasseling him, if you get what I mean.

I am really looking forward to getting the frame and building it up, I have heard nothing but praise for Kinesis products and staff :D I haven't been this excited since I was a kid a Crimbo :D:lol:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • giant_man
    He'll come back to you don't worry.

I trust the email you sent to him was dom@upgradebikes.co.uk
  • broachboy
    err no GMCP :(

it was to ...

kinesis@upgradebikes.co.uk

via there contact us off the Kinesis website :(

Maybe now I'll never know the joy of Dom
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • giant_man
    Contact him via his email I gave you mate, he will respond
  • broachboy
    Contact him via his email I gave you mate, he will respond

Have done so just, cheers GMCP :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy
    ...................... heard nothing yet :(
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy
    ..... Still haven't heard anything yet :(

The frame came 2 days ago, I thought it was too good to be true - the head tube badge is missing :shock: , and the downtube cable guides had to be re tapped at the LBS before they were of any use :shock: :shock: .

:cry:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • giant_man
    This isn't good Andy, did you get to speak to Dom directly? Which frame did you go for in the end mate?
  • broachboy
    This isn't good Andy, did you get to speak to Dom directly? Which frame did you go for in the end mate?

Morning Kev

I haven't spoke to Dom direct yet, my thinking was maybe he was on holiday and would give it approx 2 weeks from the date of the 1st email I sent - maybe that is why he hadn't got back to me yet ? When I get in from work today I will have the chance to contact him directly by phone.

The frame I brought was the 54cm KiC2 in silver, what a lovely frame - so so light, TBH I was amazed with it for what I payed, just a couple of little niggles took the edge of my joy, though I won't let these stop me enjoying it and hopefully I will be able to get a headtube badge and it will look top notch, I will certainly post some pics when the build is finished.

a.t.b

Andy
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • giant_man
    Email is hit and miss with anyone I find. Just get on the phone Andy and speak with him. He won't be happy you were sent a frame wth these problems. Like i said, he's a good guy and he will help you. Tell him what's happened with the cable guides as well.

The easiest thing I guess is for Kinesis to send you a head badge and you stick it on yourself with the right glue anyhow. Hope you get a result with this.

Kic 2 in tungsten sounds sweet, looking forward to seeing the pics when built up mate :)
  • broachboy
    Email is hit and miss with anyone I find. Just get on the phone Andy and speak with him. He won't be happy you were sent a frame wth these problems. Like i said, he's a good guy and he will help you. Tell him what's happened with the cable guides as well.

Ok will do :wink: I will get back to you with the outcome
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • interestingly my RC2 frame i bought a few weeks back has the badge missing too.
  • broachboy
    interestingly my RC2 frame i bought a few weeks back has the badge missing too.

:shock: :? MD this is well worth looking into, or maybe this is how they are sold now ?
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy
    Kic 2 in tungsten sounds sweet, looking forward to seeing the pics when built up mate :)

Afternoon GMCP, here are some pics I took this morning...

KinesisRacelightMedium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight1Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight10Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight11Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight2Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight3Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight4Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight5Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight6Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight7Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight8Medium.jpg
    KinesisRacelight9Medium.jpg

Now if it would just stop raining, I could get out on the beast for a proper test ride :roll:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • giant_man
    Andy - I think that looks fukcing ace mate!! Love the silver and black theme, and glad you have campag on there, not to mention Ksyriums. What's the story with the forks? Did Kinesis supply or did you have those in mind anyway?

Wow - well done mate! Worth the hassle in the end then?
  • broachboy
    Andy - I think that looks fukcing ace mate!! Love the silver and black theme, and glad you have campag on there, not to mention Ksyriums. What's the story with the forks? Did Kinesis supply or did you have those in mind anyway?

Wow - well done mate! Worth the hassle in the end then?

Thanks for the positive comments Kev, much appreciated :wink: I tried to keep the silver and black look throughout, just need to change a couple of little things(bottle cages, and maybe the Chrous alloy c/set for carbon UT?) when I get chance.

I brought the frame from CRC, it was sold as frame only so I had the chance to match my own choice of fork to it. I decided to go with the Control Tech Lighting as it was a quality finished item which had a 2 year limited warranty, and tipped the scales at 355grms for a price tag of £150. Not bad when you consider some of the bigger brand names have 340grm forks for £200+. I have always been the sort of club rider who had the odd pieces of kit, you know stuff that no one else would touch, so lets just hope Control Tech is as good as they make out.

I contacted Upgrade last week and spoke to Paddy and explained my situation as regards the headtube badge, which he promised to raise an order and post one to me, seems a bunch of frames slipped the net in Twn for badges.

If I can think of anything else I'll post later, thanks once again for the comments :wink::D
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    That's looking very tasty indeed broachboy.

I had the same niggles with mine when I first got it. The cable guides needing the paint chasing out and a bit of sanding of an overpainted dropout was needed before the rear wheel would fit. Now that it's built though I'm loving it.

The missing headbadge thing was posted about on their website a while back. Mine was missing too but I had no problems getting them to send one out. In fact I actually have a spare one knocking about that you could have had but it looks like it's all in hand. If it doesn't turn up from Upgrade geez a shout, you can have mine.

Enjoy.
  • broachboy
    Thanks for the positive comments SYSTEM and for the offer of a headtube badge :wink:

Just can't wait for the rain to clear up so I can get out on it :x
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Hi forum people :wink:

well its been nearly 2 months now with the Racelight KiC2 and I have to confess that after 26 years in road cycling with many different bikes this just has to be the MOST AMAZING BIKE(FRAME) EVER. Top marks upgrade / Kinesis what a truly awesome frame this is. I always aspired to own some top end marque one day - many times I have been down the day dream route of owning a Pinarello, Colango et al. I will never make that dream come true now, I don't feel the need to, the response, feedback and overall ride that I get from this bike is just awesome, the twisty high speed descents are a joy to ride now, the frame is so so stable at speed, it carves the corners with ease, the frame is so well proportioned that a shift of body weight on a tight right or left hand bend seems only to add to the quality ride and I feel myself taking more and more risks only to enjoy the result. Climbing is exceptional too, any increase in cadence on your favorite climb is rewarded with nimble acceleration, while strangely keeping muscle fatigue to bear minimum. I couldn't ask for anymore. Bear in mind that I only paid £359 for this frame from Chain Reaction Cycles aswell, what VFM. A club mate has just brought a KiC2 from CRC today on the basis of seeing mine and being so impressed with the bike as a whole.

I whole heartedly recommend this frame to anyone, I am sure many other Racelight owners will back me up. I welcome anyone to test ride my own bike :shock: to see for themselves.

Just one bad point though - A couple more colours to choose from would have been nice, say red, yellow, green, blue & black ? but hey come on thats a minor niggle.

More pics of my bike at roadcyclinguk...

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gallery/images.asp?sp=&v=7&UAbN=662
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • For all those people interested I have created a 'Racelight' group on facebook. It is available to all fans / owners of the Kinesis Racelight bike, frameset etc. If you are interested PM me and I'll point you in the right direction, failing that search on facebook for racelight and you will stumble upon the group. Hopefully this blatant cry for help will attract some more members ? :roll: and I will no longer be alone :oops: :? :lol:

Yes sad I know :roll:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018