Is DOT fluid reusable

keeps21
keeps21 Posts: 23
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
As above, is DOT 3/ DOT 4 fluid reusable.

By this I mean can I save the fluid that has been bled from the system and use it on a later bleed.

Or once it has been bled is should be disposed of as it has absorbed air / moisture? - I'm thinking that this is the most likely answer.

Comments

• Cabo
    Cabo Posts: 4
    You could if you were totally stuck, but its generally not advisable to reuse it as its probably contaminated. Its not that expensive and the quantity you need on a mountain bike is so minimal that theres not much point in scrimping on this one :)
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    dispose of it - you cannot be sure it is 100% clean and free of moisture etc.
    But it is illegal to put it down the drain.......
  • keeps21
    keeps21 Posts: 23
    does it absorb moisture while in the container making it better to buy in smaller amounts as a bigger bottle would 'go off'?
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    keeps21 wrote:
    does it absorb moisture while in the container making it better to buy in smaller amounts as a bigger bottle would 'go off'?
    Yes. Its usually on the bottle as to how long you can keep it. They usually say 3-6 months, but never re-use what has come out of the system. I found that Halfords do little diddy 250ml bottles of DOT5.1 fluid for about £4, spot on for MTB fluid changes ;)
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    or if you want to stay with the dot 4, many place on the wonderful wubblewubblewubble do it for about £4 as well.

e.g. a quick google for dot 4 threw this up as a possible but there are loads more

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=IPBF4250
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    you can increase the shelf life of opened bottles by a) making sure the lid is securely on at all times and b) squeeze the bottle to remove all air before fitting the lid. c) don't be paranoid and ignore what it says on the bottle!

But yes, small bottles are probably sensible - I got two complete fluid changes and a lot of bleeding from 1/2 a 250ml bottle so you don't need much.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When I worked as a motorbike mechanic many moons ago we were always told to use a fresh bottle of DOT for every job
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap