please spec me a xc wheel set

de stinka
de stinka Posts: 7
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
looking to spend around £300

i love my 07 carrera fury at 28.4 ib's its light for a £450 bike, but i feel the standard wheel set is a tad heavy and a lighter wheel set would make me a tad quicker around the cannock chase red route ;)

so if you could spec away for said budget and recommend an online supplier that would be cool

i'm hopping to reuse my 2.3 continental gravity and slime tubes, but perhaps the conti's are a tad heavy and i should go for 2.1 tires :?

what do you guys reckon

thanks

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    i'd go for a set of handbuilt wheels from CRC e.g. XT hubs and Mavic 717 rims. Good strong wheel, that!
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    edited July 2008
    Hope hoops, their straight pull spoke pro 3 hubs with dt swiss butted spokes and dt swiss xr4.2 rims, details here :- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Hope_ ... 360036496/ , cheapest place i found was http://davehinde.veriovps.co.uk/Merchan ... 20eddf3bat £280 for the pair, have been using them since January and no probs, and they have had a fair hammering, reccommended, superb lightweight. good looking, strong as f*** wheelset
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • glen4
    oops
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    280, worth more than the bike lol.

XT hubs, 717 rims with DB spokes. Add a good pair of 500g kevlar tyres. That will cost you less than 180 quid. Try Merlin.

Fork is heavy though.
  • glen4
    supersonic wrote:
    280, worth more than the bike lol.

XT hubs, 717 rims with DB spokes. Add a good pair of 500g kevlar tyres. That will cost you less than 180 quid. Try Merlin.

Fork is heavy though.

budget was set at £300 if you read the original post :roll:
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Even so, I'd still go for the handbuilts that me and Supersonic mention above and then you have around £120 to spend on other stuff.

I have XT/ 717/ DT wheels on my Inbred and they are fantastic: superstrong and pretty light too.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I have Mavic 719 with DT spokes on XT hubs on my 07 Fury,a bit heavier than 717 but still saved a load of weight over the factory wheels plus they are strong enough for the rocky welsh trail centres !! Got them from Merlin ,very good service !!