What Road Bike?

Comments

• I heard that Evans will allow you to go over the £1000...

i hope so thats my plan in November...I've spoken to them and saying I want to spend £2k with £1k coming from CTW scheme, no one said no...

that said at £1.4k the cannondale is brilliant value, might look at that also if it's still around in Nov..

If they do let you go over £1k let us know..if not it's back to the drawing board for me...
  • mrkwr wrote:
    Hmm, I've been thinking for some months of buying my first new bike for 30 years and finding the choice overwhelming. I'm looking around the £1000+ mark, and gotta say that the OP's advice seems contradictory here - one the one hand, advising trying out the bikes you're interested in, and on the other hand, suggesting just two bikes which are online-only, hence impossible to try out.

Just to be clear, it's worth pointing out that if you buy a bike from Wiggle you have 30 days to test it out - probably the best trial you can get from any bike retailer (Evans, in contrast, only allow you a mind-numblingly hopeless 20 minutes even if you're looking at a top-end bike costing £2,000 plus!!). So providing you return the bike undamaged and in the box it arrives in, if the bike doesn't fit you or suit your needs, you can return for a full refund within the 30 days. Even if you manage to lose or damage the box, you can still send it back but Wiggle will charge you £25 for a new box. Personally, I don't think you can say fairer than that. If you know of any bike seller who offers a better bike trial, please let me know!!

Getting test rides isn't easy in my experience, either - the shops never seem to have the right size or the right model available (and don't seem able or willing to get them in), so try to get you to test a too big/too small bike, and/or try to get you to try a more expensive model in the range. Here I am with the money burning a hole in my pocket and none of the local bike shops seem willing or able to arrange test rides of the exact model/size I want. Perhaps I'm being too fussy?
  • I'd definately buy the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 any day. You can buy it at Evans Cycles for a good price.

BUT, for all out bang for buck and quality of ride for that kind of money, the Focus Cayo can't be beaten. Full Carbon frame and 105 groupset for £999 at Wiggle right now!
  • Grealdo
    Grealdo Posts: 2
    Focus Variado 2010 £599 wiggle.co.uk

:D
  • Boadmans are pretty big bang for buck!! But then you have to ride a Boardman!!
  • jackp
    jackp Posts: 48
    One which hasnt been mentioned is the bianchi with campag xenon £700 new
    bargin as xenon is more like 105 compared to shimano i think
    also looks more exspensive than 700 quids worth :)
  • buying my first road bike, probably from my local Evans as they've provided best advice and service, and best value.

Should I choose a Cannondale Caad8 tiagra at £740, or Specialized Allez Elite or Secteur Elite at £799. I get the feeling there is not much in it, and my heart says Cannondale. Any strong opinions?

Cheers
  • Hi there,

I'm just looking into buying my first roadbike, I have the usual Ride2work £1000 to spend, but would ideally like to commit £650-850 on the bike and the rest on accessories.

I've narrowed my selection down to the below:

Trek 1.5 Compact 2010 Road Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec019721
    Trek 1.2 Triple 2011 Road Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec023939
    Scott Speedster S30 27 2010 Road Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec020704
    Bianchi D2 Axis 2010 Cyclo Cross Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec021266

What's everyone's thoughts? Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  • Rohan
    Id go for the Scott over the Trek 1.5. Both have Tiagra, but the Scott's blue is nicer, the welds look smooth,compact will get you fit fast, and the shape looks right. The Trek 1.2 has Sora, which aint bad, but is beneath Tiagra in performance and weight.

The Bianchi Is a Cyclo cross! Unless your commute is through the Forest of Morir and you work for orcs, id steer clear!

Im only saying this, no one has to abide by it.
    If your REALLY stuck, go local. Planet X, Ribble, Boardman, Sabbath.
    Ribble's bike builder works well, and you can spec a pretty good starter bike.
    Planet X are great but cater more for carbon junkies. But they have very competitive prices. Plus their customer service is decent.

Wiggle and evans are also great.
    If i could buy a bike thats built and assembled in Ireland, i would.
    But we're a little bit corrupt over here if you havent guessed yet.....
    Must go faster.
  • SpadgeBirder
    SpadgeBirder Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Hello
  • Just to say the advice posed here is much appreciated. After some deliberation Ive purchased a Planet X pro carbon etc. and immeditaely found they were selling a better spec bike cheaper (familiar). Despite this v please and surprised at how much faster it is than my old Evans steel bike.
  • @creepycrawley

how did you get on with planet x as i'm trying to decide between a few of their specs at the moment ?
    "Never rub another man's rhubarb"
  • Hi everyone, this is my first message.

I am Serbian, who immigrated to the UK 9 years ago, and three things I love about this country are cycling, rugby, and the weather :D

OK, I cycle, only watch rugby, and I love wet summers and mild winters. As I had enough of hybrids and those types of bicycles, I have decided to purchase a road bike. I would like to start with an entry level bike. I have been to Evans Cycles and my dillema is between CAAD 8, Fuji Roubaix 3.0 or Trek 1.2? If anyone would be kind to help me out, if there's anyone who had ridden these machines, I would be very grateful. Also, I have been riding sportives on my Viking hybrid (:roll:), so, I finished lot of 60 miles events/races, and I would love to try to ride one of those proper road bikes. I am 6'2" and around 15 stone. Framewise I was thinkig of buying a 58 or 61cm frame. Any suggestions? My mind is somehow set on Cannodale, but I would like to hear your opinions. My budget is limited at the moment (next 2 years to be more precise), so I can't afford Bianchi or Wilier which I would love to have.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    I got a trek 1.5 instead of a 1.2 as I wanted the tiagra shifters which have an up and down lever rather than a funny thumb switch. Only 2 rides so far and it's the only road bike I've ever had but I love it so far :)

the 2010 model is still on special offer at Evans I think (it's 155 quid cheaper than the 2011 model!)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • SRBVelo,

Why don't you give them a test ride? I just got a new bike, and spent half an hour test riding each one on my shortlist from Evans.

Only you will be able to tell which bike suits you the best.

As for sizing, get yourself to a decent outfit that measures you up. Worth paying for this. Sigma sports in Hampton Wick or the mroe pricey Cyclefit in Covent Garden will make sure you don't get the wrong size bike.

Si
  • Planet X were pretty helpful in responding to queries. I did consider changing sppecs but frankly decided I really did not know enough and in the end stuck with their recommedations. The SRAM gear leavers are taking a little getting used to but I think I'm going to like them (? a lot).
  • kenniff
    kenniff Posts: 207
    Canterburywind :D

Got a good deal on a BIANCHI Varone with xenon,great value.
    hanks for the advice,its the same advice i've got from all my mates so it is well worth having.
    Any advice on a carbon upgrade.
    cheers
    ken
    Easy life
  • First post, so hello everyone, spotted this bike in the Chain Reaction sale. Nice looking, great specs and fairly light. Anyone got any opinions on Cube Bikes in general. Thanks in advance

Cube Agree Pro Compact 2010 Reduced from £1500 to £1009

Frame: HPA 7005 Hydroformed Triple Butted, Advanced Inner Cable Routing
    • Fork: Easton EC70 SL CNT Carbon 1 1/8“ - 1 1/2“
    • Headset: FSA Orbit Z-T
    • Stem: FSA OS190 Oversized
    • Handlebars: FSA Wing Compact Oversized
    • Bar Tape: Cube Grip Control
    • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra RD-6700SS
    • Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra FD-6700BL 2-speed, Clamp 34.9mm
    • STI: Shimano Ultegra ST-6700, 10-speed
    • Brakes: Shimano Ultegra BR-6700
    • Chainset: FSA Gossamer Pro Megaexo Compact 50x34, Press-Fit BB
    • Cassette: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 12-25, 10-speed
    • Chain: Shimano Ultegra CN-6700
    • Wheelset: Easton Vista SL
    • Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo 23x622
    • Tubes: Schwalbe RR light SV20
    • Rim Tape: None
    • Pedals: None
    • Saddle: RFR Natural Shape 0.1 R
    • Seatpost: FSA SL280 31.6mm
    • Seatclamp: Scape Close 34.9mm
    • Weight: 8,15kg
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    That's an awful lot of bike for the money, really good deal!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Must admit, try as I might I cant find anything that comes near it for value for money at that price. My budget is £1000 and I'm not really interested in full Carbon
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Does anyone know any reputable Cube Dealers other than CRC or Prologue?

I'm looking at testing a couple of Cube's as a change from my 3 year old Scott CR1 Pro and other than Prologue I'm struggling to find any dealers I can actually visit in the South.

Any ideas?
  • sampras38
    Tyke1912 wrote:
    First post, so hello everyone, spotted this bike in the Chain Reaction sale. Nice looking, great specs and fairly light. Anyone got any opinions on Cube Bikes in general. Thanks in advance

Cube Agree Pro Compact 2010 Reduced from £1500 to £1009

Frame: HPA 7005 Hydroformed Triple Butted, Advanced Inner Cable Routing
    • Fork: Easton EC70 SL CNT Carbon 1 1/8“ - 1 1/2“
    • Headset: FSA Orbit Z-T
    • Stem: FSA OS190 Oversized
    • Handlebars: FSA Wing Compact Oversized
    • Bar Tape: Cube Grip Control
    • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra RD-6700SS
    • Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra FD-6700BL 2-speed, Clamp 34.9mm
    • STI: Shimano Ultegra ST-6700, 10-speed
    • Brakes: Shimano Ultegra BR-6700
    • Chainset: FSA Gossamer Pro Megaexo Compact 50x34, Press-Fit BB
    • Cassette: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 12-25, 10-speed
    • Chain: Shimano Ultegra CN-6700
    • Wheelset: Easton Vista SL
    • Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo 23x622
    • Tubes: Schwalbe RR light SV20
    • Rim Tape: None
    • Pedals: None
    • Saddle: RFR Natural Shape 0.1 R
    • Seatpost: FSA SL280 31.6mm
    • Seatclamp: Scape Close 34.9mm
    • Weight: 8,15kg

I'm looking at the Cube's at the moment and from what I understand they are very nice bikes. German engineering but not so well known yet, so they are able to put a lot into the bike for the money.

I like them because they aren't so well known, although the colours can be a little garish for some people's taste.

I'm looking at a Cube Agree GTC SI
  • I took the plunge and ordered the bike, Cube are gaining a really good reputation and I can see why. From the moment I unpacked it to the moment I finished my first ride I was very impressed. Can't help with stockists in the south but I received excellent service from Chain Reaction. The real value for money is in the 2010 bikes, some great discounts around at the minute. good luck with your search.

By the way if it helps anyone I'm 5'11 and the 58 frame fits like a glove (after the usual seat pin/saddle tweeks)
  • sampras38
    Tyke1912 wrote:
    I took the plunge and ordered the bike, Cube are gaining a really good reputation and I can see why. From the moment I unpacked it to the moment I finished my first ride I was very impressed. Can't help with stockists in the south but I received excellent service from Chain Reaction. The real value for money is in the 2010 bikes, some great discounts around at the minute. good luck with your search.

By the way if it helps anyone I'm 5'11 and the 58 frame fits like a glove (after the usual seat pin/saddle tweeks)

I'd imagine CRC are great once I know the bike and size I want, but I'd prefer to talk to someone face to face such as Prologue (good reputation...seem to compete against the likes of Sigma for the high end stuff). That way I get some test rides in or even a fitting. Unsure about whether to get a 2011 model or go for discount on an older one. I'm 6ft and will prob need a 58 too. I've also heard that some of the Cubes can come up a little small.
  • Be sure to check next years specs against this years, it seems that quite a few of the 2011 models (not just Cube) are equipped with a slightly lower spec. Financial climate I guess. Forgot to add that I've always been a campag fan but the Ultegra 6700 is very nice indeed, not that it matters, just thought I'd mention it.
  • sampras38
    Tyke1912 wrote:
    Be sure to check next years specs against this years, it seems that quite a few of the 2011 models (not just Cube) are equipped with a slightly lower spec. Financial climate I guess. Forgot to add that I've always been a campag fan but the Ultegra 6700 is very nice indeed, not that it matters, just thought I'd mention it.

Yeah, thanks, I had thought of that. My 2007 Scott CR1 Pro has the Ultegra 6600 and it wouldn't bother me if the Cube had similar. We'll see.
  • Hi all, first post from me. Like Tyke1912, I just bought the Cube Agree Pro from ZeroG cycles in Bristol. I was at a £1k price point for my first proper road bike and anything carbon was going to be a major compromise on finishing kit.

It was 1349 down to 1100 - they wouldn't go to 1k on the bike but I got a set of Look Keo Plus pedals, a specialized road helmet and a nice resin bottle cage thrown in for the money (all of which I would have had to buy anyway) so I was delighted. I could have got it at the £1009 online, but I like the shop there and they'll always be good back-up if anything goes wrong and the first mini-service is free.

It's a superb bike for the money in my view - full Ultegra (chainset aside) for just over a grand? What's not to like? Have taken it out on its first few rides yesterday and Sunday - it just begs to be ridden fast and I found it climbed really well (which a few online reviews mentioned). If anything, I'm going a bit too fast on it and am blown out for the climbs - but experience will sort me out on that one.

As for colours - well, yeah, a bit garish...but I've done my share of stealth colours and feel it's time to stand out.

I'm a newbie to road biking but I can see this bike carrying me for years. :shock: :shock: :D
  • Hi
    My wife and I are looking to buy new bikes for approx £1000/1200 each, for year round road cycling (including commuting in Cardiff) in south Wales on main roads and country lanes and summer cycling in the French Alps. We have been riding on Giant hybrids for 12 years and are so confused about whether we should be buying true road bikes or cycle corss bikes due to the nature of the roads we regularly cycle on in south Wales, with some nice hills and in fairly good condition, but some are rutted, muddy and slippery particularly at this time of year. We also ocassionally ride on forest trails or grass, as short cuts. I am 2 metres tall and 14 stone; my wife is 1 metre 65 and weighs 53 kgs.

We have been to a LBS and were recommended the Ridley Crossbow at £999 weighing 9.48kg. But since most of our cycling is on the road should we not be opting for a road bike. Any help offered would be much appreciated, including best LBS in Cardiff.

John
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    jrlittle wrote:
    Hi
    My wife and I are looking to buy new bikes for approx £1000/1200 each, for year round road cycling (including commuting in Cardiff) in south Wales on main roads and country lanes and summer cycling in the French Alps. We have been riding on Giant hybrids for 12 years and are so confused about whether we should be buying true road bikes or cycle corss bikes due to the nature of the roads we regularly cycle on in south Wales, with some nice hills and in fairly good condition, but some are rutted, muddy and slippery particularly at this time of year. We also ocassionally ride on forest trails or grass, as short cuts. I am 2 metres tall and 14 stone; my wife is 1 metre 65 and weighs 53 kgs.

We have been to a LBS and were recommended the Ridley Crossbow at £999 weighing 9.48kg. But since most of our cycling is on the road should we not be opting for a road bike. Any help offered would be much appreciated, including best LBS in Cardiff.

John

Why is your wife fully metric and you are half metric and half old money? :shock:
  • i am british and my wife is french. i am half converted to the french system; my wife is not converted to the british system.
    :D