What Road Bike?

Comments

• I was riding a 22.5" Trek MTB with slicks until I sold it last week. These are the distances i was doing on that, and it was getting uncomfortable physically, and pyschologically when much smaller and older guys on road bikes would whip past me whistling and smiling!
  • I´m with Rolling Thunder on this issue: Can a heavy rider really trust a road bike? I mean they look so fragile...I don´t mind the frame showing some cracks or something as the warranty will get me a new frame. What I do mind is the thing breaking in two when I´m doing 50 mph downhill.
    I also think a cyclocross is the right choice for us 100+ guys but some real knowledge on this issuei would be much appreciated.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    A cross frame will make sense initially as you can fit wider tyres that will cushion the ride a little and fit proper mudguards to but after a while you'd wish you had something faster and sportier. I also don't think a triple chainset would be much use for normal road use so maybe better to go for a double or even compact chainset with the smoother gearchange. I also hate Alex rims, they are way too soft for a normal weight rider let alone a heavy weight guy.
  • Toonraid
    The Jack wrote:
    I´m with Rolling Thunder on this issue: Can a heavy rider really trust a road bike? I mean they look so fragile...I don´t mind the frame showing some cracks or something as the warranty will get me a new frame. What I do mind is the thing breaking in two when I´m doing 50 mph downhill.
    I also think a cyclocross is the right choice for us 100+ guys but some real knowledge on this issuei would be much appreciated.

I was riding a Ridley Aedon on Campy's Khamsin wheelset and Mirage gruppo and it helped me reduce my weight from 117 to 100 now and have recently bought a full Carbon Damocles which will hopefully help me back down to 90kg - loved the Aedon/Khamsin which felt very solid and strong under my 117kg weight but I guess they make them for the cobbles in Belgium and thats why they are so solid - pretty much everything else failed me though - broke a giant frame while an old alu trek frame was just so wobbly - also let down by low end shimano and alex wheelsets which were too soft and needed truing once a week but like Campy wheels as they are so solid and strong and wheels for us big guys are as important as the frame.
  • I very briefly thought about building a bike on a website, but I know far too little about the whole ballgame. I'm starting to pine after my old Trek mtb the more confused I get. the mtb world is far far easier for guys like me because those suckers are built to be thrashed about and sturdy. I hear good things about the Marin Toscana or Kona Jake / Jake Snake as well as the Major Jake, which at £1500 or so is above my budget! I won't be doing anythinng other than road work (no Belgian Cobbles!). We may well be relocating to France this summer and I'll be wanting to burn off all their tasty food.
  • Toonraid
    I find the MTB world very confusing with their choice of disciplines - XC, DH, Enduro, All mountain, Freeride, BMX, Trial, Hybrid, Commute ... then there is the wheels - 20, 24, 26, 29 .........

With road all you need is a strong frame, a strong wheelset and a compact double groupset, finishing kit (bars, stem, seatpost), pedals (could even use your mtb pedals and shoes to start with) and a Saddle and that it.[/url]
  • That's the problem. In all my time using a hardtail MTB I never once thought about buidling a bike or really getting to know the componentry. Moving over to a road bike shouldn't be too difficult but it seems so daunting in terms of choosing a bike. Suddenly it's not just a case of solid looking bike of the right size able to handle light jumps etc. MTB hardtailers can kind of exist on our biases. A prefers Trek hardtails and B, Kona. You roadies however are an altogether more detailed bunch. I guess a lot of guys my size steer away from road bikes and go for mtb's or hybrids, but I really want to do even more miles than I was on my mtb, so s hybrid of upgraded mtb doesn't fit the bill, even though I was temporarily drawn to the Scott Speedster flatbar. Could I build a solid and fairly fast raod bike for £700?
  • Hi Rolling Thunder
    You shouldn't have any problems with getting a decent, strong bike: think of the punhishment they are put through on the Paris-Roubaix! Also, talking from personal experience, I've got a Giant SCR2, which I've used to transport panniers full of shopping and, a couple of times, given a lift to my 10 yr old son! So they look flimsy, but they're actually very robust.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    A lot of the time road bikes are made with similar tubing etc to mountain bikes, but mountain bikes may be thicker walled/profile for the rigour of terrain.

As long as you steer clear of the sub 1kg carbon and really lightweight alu frames, then you'll be okay. My mate is 17 stone and rides a road bike (albeit a 531c Mercian) and has never had any issues.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Thanks Guys, that's reassuring. You guys along with the incredibly helpful Toonraid (if you need advice, I advise you to get in touch with him) have helped me. My mind is made up, and now it's time to start looking behind the sofa cushions for any lost pennies to go on top of what has been saved already! I'll let you know what I get.
  • just to muddy the waters abit im 100 kg+ unfortanately despite 25 mile aday commute 60 sunday ride , any way ive got a scuro see ribble & i ride 28 hole wheels with it never had a prob it seriously light !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mark,

thanks for that. Have I understood right that you ride a Scuro you got from Ribble Cycles? I'll check it out. What wheels do you ride?

As regards the weight, have you checked out a blogsite by a guy called Fank Kinlan. It's on http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/

He was a big guy like us and has dropped and kept off weight with cycling and diet changes. Give it a bash, it's inspiring.

If you're a stocky/muscley guy like me, you mightn't have that much weight to drop. It may just be burning off excess fat, but the remaining muscle is still heavy.

Thanks for your mail. I'll check out Ribble.

RollingThunder
    (I may not get there quickly, but you'll definately hear me coming!)l
  • Hi everyone
    I'm just about to buy my first road bike and it looks like the Boardman Road Comp is a good pick for me. A friend has offered to build it for me so I can avoid the whole Halfords problem too. The thing is, I'm 6'3" and most places suggest a frame size of around 60cm, but the Boardmans only go up to 57.5 - will this be too small? I understand that a smaller frame size can help if you're not fit, but I'm quite athletic (have been rowing for 5 years) and can't afford to buy another bike if I 'outgrow' this one, as it were.
    I suppose my question is, will this bike be suitable for me, or is it worth getting a 60cm bike from a different brand (a Defy 3/4 or Allez)? I can't really get measured up for one, as I'm doing this through the c2w scheme, and my work only do it through Halfords. Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome, as would anyone pointing out that I've got something completely wrong ;-)
    Many thanks

PP
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • Well I am in a similar sizing predicament...

I am 6'2" and I think I should have a 60cm bike as well...
    am i right??

would this be the right size for an "Urban" bike?? (just in case I get a nice bike for Uni- possibly a stupid idea, unless I get a proper lock)

however In the mean time I need a road racer as I want to get/keep fit, and race friends, plus my school runs a 100Mi trip each year in the summer

I have up to £600, including a new jersey etc.

so what can you suggest for £550? other than the defy, allez and ordering a ribble???

I want to ideally do a 30-50mi ride each w/end and maybe more during the holidays.... will sora gears cope for a few years?? or is this a rumour??

Thanks

Will
  • Toonraid
    Can look for used deals on ebay - sometimes you can pick up a nice clean bike with a much higher spec.
  • Help

I am getting a road bike (not single speed) on the cycle to work scheme with a bugdet around £500. Happy to go up a bit but too much. I have a couple of questions

- can anyone advise what bikes won cycling plus awards or come recommended at this level?
    - Which bikes around this level take usual mudguards and panniers?
    - Any tips would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Samivel
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • rchomba
    rchomba Posts: 1
    HELP
    I am looking for a new bike at aroung £1300. Prefer a carbon a alu- carbon mix. I do not care about the manufacturers . Any advice will be greatly appreciated
  • dolan mythos full carbon bargain for 999 - www.velodrome.org.uk/dolanmythos.html for review

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk - Track Cycling Shop from Velodrome.org.uk - Casco, Bont Shoes, Dolan, Campag, Reflex Nutrition, Sugino and more
    http://www.sportstrainingsolutions.com - Cycling and Sports Therapy in Mallorca
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    For £500 (ish) bikes look at the Boardman Comp,Trek 1.2/1.5,Specialized Allez,Giant Defy.Most of these are now nearer £600 due to the recent price increases,but these are what most would consider good entry level bikes.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • RuffRooster
    RuffRooster Posts: 32
    I'm now 99.99% sure I'm going to get a Dolan Mythos over the Boardman Team Carbon or Allez Elite as my first major venture into Road under C2W - anyone had any problems before I take the big leap?
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Can i ask why the Dolan and no the other 2?
    Cheers, Stu
  • jerryh
    jerryh Posts: 3
    I'm in the process of doing the cycle scheme, got £1000 to spend. Think I'm going for the Ribble Sportive Racing, but can't decide if I need a M or L. I'm 5'9 1/2" with an inside leg of 32". This falls right between the 2 sizes as recommended by them. Should I go for a smaller frame or the larger size? Any ideas?
  • RuffRooster
    RuffRooster Posts: 32
    difficult one to answer as all of them have been at the top of the list at some time in the last few weeks..

Basically going for the frame, and Dolan have a great name in that regard. Dolan also has full 105, Spesh does not. Boardman seems to be let down by its distributer but those that have it do seem to love it once they have it set up right.

Plus actually seen and touched the Dolan (the frame anyway) but neither of the other two are in stock anywhere at the moment so I'd be buying off a picture and thats if I could get one.

Still not spent me money yet so interested to know your views.
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    At 6ft4 and a little over 17st, should I be worrying about a new road bike supporting me?

Earlier on in the thread I can see that the question was asked, but having little knowledge I want to know should I expect any problems from a Focus Cayo or Specialized Allez Elite for example if I opt to go to £1K, or if I decide to go for a cheaper option like the Trek 1.5 or 1.7, the Specialized Allez or the Felt Z80.
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I am 2 inches and 2stones less.

I have had trouble with cornering on the zig-zags and general quick maneuverability down the years because of bendy frames.
    The lighter the bike the less rigid the frame. Old style steel frames like 531 with less than 25 inch seat tube ( so 23 or so) are the stiffest.You can pay a fortune and save a pound or even two ( half or 1 per cent of you ,or a banana and half a bottle)) and it will only be as stiff. I think at your size it would be worth having a word with mercian or bob hewitt or jackson's and getting a price for a custom build with the emphasis on stiffness and fit. It will feel fantastic to ride one that fits well and doesn't twist under pressure.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    I personally cant understand why Cyclo cross bikes are not more popular, especially if you are bigger. The frames and forks are bulit a lot stronger, for which you might result in a bike 500g heavier, but if you add 17st to that, it hardly matters!

I mean im only 6foot and 12stone, but ride a planet x uncle john, with 105 and Mavic wheels and love it. One of the big benefits is that you can fit larger tyres, I currently run 28c on it which certainly seem more practical and comfortable that 23c found on most road bikes. It means if i want to follow a track or canal bank for a couple of miles its pretty comfortable.

Add to that the rack mounts, clearance for mudguards etc... plus the fact that mini-v brakes offer miles better braking than calipers, I think it offer a good all round package and one that is maybe 2% 'slower' that a full on road bike.

I love the likes of specialized bikes, but they are just not built for Yorkshire at all. Even the roubaix you struggle to get more than a 23c tyre in, which is ironic as in the actual paris-roubaix the pros ride with 27c-28c tryes.

Just watch out becuase pure cross racing bikes, dont offer things like bootle mounts, so pick a more general purpose one. Mine cost around £1000 to build myself, focus do a decent range from about £700, but were slightly too race orientated for my needs. But have a look at the Planet x uncle john of Kaffenback.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

there are several of these in our ctc group. I just do not know how stiff the largest frame will be . It would be nice to have the chance to try one out where you could put it under some stress.

It would indeed probably be stiffer than a proper road racer.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    BBL wrote:
    It looks like the SCR is being replaced by Giant with the Defy for 2009 - has anyone got their hands on one of these yet? Would the Defy still make the recommended list and does it also take mudguards?

I know this is a long time after the question was asked but may be helpful for others.
    I have a Defy 2 (medium and I'm 6'1") and it fits Giant's own proprietary (sp?) mudguards which have a gap around the forks and the seat stays to allow for tighter clearances.
    My experience of the guards is that the gap leads to grit and mud being thrown up into the brake calipers so they seize up on a semi-regular basis.
    I've switched to race blades for wet weather for that reason.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Can someone give me an idea of what this bike's worth?

I've no idea of spec, I only have some bad pictures. Apparently it's a Roy Manser frame.

Wholebike.jpg

handles.jpg

Brakelever.jpg

Frontsproket.jpg

crank.jpg

pedal.jpg

rearbrake.jpg

reargears.jpg

valve.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    100 quid.