I've bought a xc frame, help me pick items for it. pics inc.

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

Bought myself a Kona Kula Primo frame to build up. This will be my 5th Kona HT :oops: and I've already had a Kula Primo but bought it built up and sold it :roll: regretted it so had to buy another one. Been test ridding loads of full susser's but I like HT's and I just don't need rear suspension for where I ride. So first of forks,

Definatley going to be Rockshox and 100mm also want a poploc, don't need adjustable travel, needs to be light and disc only, think I would prefer black byt may considor white. what do you suggest ?

Simon.

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Reba! I doubt you'll get a different recommendation...

Cheapest around:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1070&categoryId=18
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • s1mon
    The Kula Primo comes with Reba Race, I don't really want to use the same or something cheaper but I guess there's not really much option if I want Rockshox's and 100mm ? I may considor some Fox's but only used Talas before I didn't get on with them.

Simon.
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    go for the new SID if rock shox
    reba ll go out of date soon once it turn to long travel
    and i believe rockshox do lots of job on new sid to make it way tougher

but why must be rockshox?
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • s1mon
    but why must be rockshox?
    just like their forks, compared to the Talas's I had on one bike.

SID's are out of my price range :cry:

Simon.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Why not a new Reba? The 2008 Reba Race is fantastic! The new one has longer travel, and I'd imagine it's a better fork!
  • s1mon
    Decided I'm going to go with the Reba's. Might be able to afford the Team's otherwise it will be the Race one's. Found these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123 are they 07 one's ? and do they come with the Poploc ?

Ok wheels, decided I want Hope pro II's on Mavic 717's and either DT Revolution or should I go with the slightly stronger/heavy DT comp's ?

Would a Hope BB and headset be a good choice ?

Simon.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go for the DT Comps, they build a better wheel unless you are a total weight weenie.

Hope is good, but cheaper alternatives available such as Superstar components.

No point getting a Reba Team over the race, almost identical.
  • s1mon
    The only difference is a lighter crown, I think ?

Are the revolutions alot weaker than DT comp ? I'm trying to build it up quite light but still resonably strong and with out braking the bank.

Simon.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Why not pick up a set of Hope hoops ??

About £260 for the pair with 4 spare spokes (2 front 2 rear) kit to convert to 20mm axel if you want and hand build by hope.

Pro II hubs with DT Swiss XR4.2 rims

mine are sweet as !!
  • s1mon
    Hi,

I want to order up a few bits and I'm not sure what headset to go for ? I like the look of the Hope one's is there anything else out there better and lighter ?

Simon.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Won`t save much weight on a headset.Stick with the Hope.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    s1mon wrote:
    Hi,

I want to order up a few bits and I'm not sure what headset to go for ? I like the look of the Hope one's is there anything else out there better and lighter ?

Simon.

XTR hubs on 717 rims with DT Comp spokes are a lighter alternative for about the same money.
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    i would go for sealed hubs on 717 rims or 719 if you want them go tougher

coz you don want to rebuild the wheels wif new hubs after you smash the bearing

actually look for specialized rovals wheels if you re looking for new wheelset
    they come with dt hubs (240s) and with ceramic bearing at the front
    come in tubeless ready as well
    2008 ones should get a discount as the 2009 ones(nothing more but carbon front hub) coming out
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    Sonic has just described my wheelset! although I may have the revolution spokes. I haven't put them out of true in 18 months with some unexpected rock/kerb/root moments! I am also a fan of shimano's easy servicing and reliability. Under £250 from merlin, also look at KCNC finishing kit, it is super light, ie sub 142g posts 116g bars 95g stems reasonably priced too, just don't freeride them!
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • s1mon
    I was thinking of some xtr hubs, hmm I will have go for Hope or the xtr on 717's.

Bars, stem and seatpost ? I do like Raceface stuff but Easton make some really light seatpost, what do you think Raceface or Easton ?

Simon.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have Raceface Deus bars and stem combo.They only cost me £55 for both from Wiggle.The bars are almost carbon light at 210g and have a nice shape and rise too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Race Face bars definitely, the XC low risers are unbeatable for the price
    But stem and seat post has to be Thomson all the way, reliable, light, beautifully finished and reasonably priced

wheels? I just got my Hope Pro 3's with the straight pull spokes, wiping the drool off them as I type :wink: but seriously they're hand built, lightweight, rebuildable.... nuff said
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Where did you get your Pro 3's from, and can you get any colour hubs with the 3's ?

Simon.
  • BlackSpur
    supersonic wrote:
    Go for the DT Comps, they build a better wheel unless you are a total weight weenie.

Hope is good, but cheaper alternatives available such as Superstar components.

No point getting the Race over the SL either.
  • s1mon
    Which Race Face Next bars do I need ? I'm looking for one's with a 20mm rise, 635mm wide and in 31.8mm.

They do NEXT XC SL ¾ LOW RISERS and NEXT XC LOW RISER BARS ?

Simon.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    these alu bars nearly fit your size specs, and are under 200g
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4032 £35

closest i could find on crc to your specs.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26964
    woah £90 for the 3/4 riser and it's heavier than ^

ah, merlin do them £80
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=74

still i reckon the fsa 190's are a bargain :)
  • s1mon
    Race Face Next and Next SL don't seem to do 3/4" or 1" rise bars in 31.8mm only 1.5" rise which is to much :(

Could save some money and get the Deus, still a little bit high and also too wide but could easly be cut down.
    still i reckon the fsa 190's are a bargain
    yeah but I like the Race Face stuff plus I've already ordered a Deus stem 31.8

Simon.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Have you thought about stans rims, seriously light and very strong, the webbie is justridingalong.co.uk they also do wheel builds.

I'd say have a look on poshbikes for some really light parts, although they are a touch expensive!
  • dunker
    the merlin link i posted has the 1" lowriser in 31.8, you can select either 25.4 or 31.8
  • s1mon
    :oops: I see

Decided i'm going to go for the Deus bars will match the stem :lol: half the price too, extra money can go towards the Deus seatpost :wink:

Simon.
  • s1mon
    Brakes, I know I want Avid's probably Juicy Carbons but what size disc's ? Merlin are doing a pair at a good price but this is with the same size front and rear discs. Should I go for 160 F&R, 185 F&R or 185 F & 160 R ?

Simon.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Go for formula brakes, peerless
  • s1mon
    A picture of my frame, not that there's alot fitted to it yet :lol:

KonaKulaPrimo001.jpg

Simon.
  • dunker
    might want to add a strip of old inner tube or similar between the crud catcher and the down tube as it will scratch it.

nice frame! :D
  • BlackSpur
    s1mon wrote:
    Brakes, I know I want Avid's probably Juicy Carbons but what size disc's ? Merlin are doing a pair at a good price but this is with the same size front and rear discs. Should I go for 160 F&R, 185 F&R or 185 F & 160 R ?

Simon.

For XC racing 160mm all round. I would save some cash and get Juicy 7s if you are set on Avids - only 9g heavier per brake.