deep section wheels

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
deep section robust wheels....any bargains to be hels...budget limited to upto £120-£130ish

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I doubt it for that price.....
  • stueyc
    what kind of price minimum mog?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    £500 min. Planet Xs are probably the cheapest bet.

Although it depends if you want proper deep section aero wheels, or "deep section" wheels that aren't all that aero.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    £500??...sweet jesus!.....rethink on this then me thinks
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    mavic%20cosmic%20elite%20f%2005.jpg

or

WPPXCLICAOFFER.jpg

How deep do you want them?

You could probably get a set of Mavic Cosmic Elites for around the £250 mark, but they aren't all that deep.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    thinking more along the lines of the planet x

very nice indeed
  • Mog Uk
    You can get the Planet X Pro Carbon 50s ( Tubs ) for £399 at the moment....
  • Mog Uk
    Just got an Email from Kinetic One and it had these...

No idea what they are like though....

http://www.shop.kinetic-one.co.uk/2008- ... -253-p.asp
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Those Rodi look weighty, but that's a bloody cheap price! :shock:

Dalkiia SixZeros are £550 at Primera. Otherwise it's second hand I'm afraid, and even then you'll be looking at £300+ most likely.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    stueyc wrote:
    deep section robust wheels....any bargains to be hels...budget limited to upto £120-£130ish

What do you want them for??? The budget is unrealisic..
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Just got an Email from Kinetic One and it had these...

No idea what they are like though....

http://www.shop.kinetic-one.co.uk/2008- ... -253-p.asp

Yes.
    Parkers were selling these about a month ago for £10-20 less, but aren't listing anything by Rodi now.

Can't say I've ever seen anyone using them, but they look similar to Cosmic Elites for about half price
    (although the Cosmics are bombproof and I've no idea what these things are like).
  • aero blob
    aero blob Posts: 17
    edited April 2012
    Link above is now out of date. Current wheels now at http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/aero-wheels-1-c.asp

All the best

Andy
  • XTCRider
    XTCRider Posts: 113
    THey are nice wheels , whats the weight rating on these wheels then Andy as i am currently using Shimano 105 wheels which dont even look as strong as the Rodis and I am 17.5 stone
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtcrider/sets/72057594126938720/

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like
  • aero blob
    Hi XTC

Shade over 1900 grams - 1920 grams from memory - Pretty sure its listed on our site. Andy
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    aero blob wrote:
    Hi XTC

Shade over 1900 grams - 1920 grams from memory - Pretty sure its listed on our site. Andy

he was asking the maximum suggested rider weight for the wheels not the actual weight of the wheels :wink:
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    I use HED Jet 50's. Deep but no too much. £480 quid for pair (Clinchers) unless they've gone up.
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    How about American Classic 420s ? They have a 34mm rim depth, weigh about 1450g and I've seen them for 300-350 euros. A bit over budget but they are aero and no where near as lardy as the others. Not the strongest, mind you.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I have a set of Hed Jet 50's great wheel, but also a cheaper set of Halo Mercury wheels at 30mm rim, about £225 from tredz, again can't fault them, light but stiff.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    If you want comparable wheels but much cheaper look at Quest ones. I've used a pair for 2 years and no probs whatsoever and only about £60 a pair:

http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Qu ... ducts.html
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    'nother vote for the mavic cosmics, or the am classics.
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • aero blob
    edited April 2012
    Sorry for not replying sooner XTCRider- must have misread your question! Just happened across the thread again. Slightly belated! :oops:

Like lots of brands now (for example Reynolds) We have no stated max rider weight for our wheels. Perhaps the most useful real world example I can give is that we've had a 6ft8 - 21 stone ex-rower using these wheels for the last year or so on one of our Fk-One Bikes and still going fine. Incidentally he was our tallest ever customer....... until last month! We're now trying to build a bike for a chap who is 6ft10 would you believe. Must be well over that 21 stone I'm guessing! Not your typical Roadie! I think I'd still feel OK speccing his bike with our wheels - but would probably seek a view from the factory on that one first! :? All the best. Andy
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    If you're interested in something different, you could possibly pick up a pair of late 90's aero section wheels on ebay for that kind of money, possibly a touch more. I'm thinking Campagnolo Vento, Scirocco, Atlanta, or if you're luck Shamal, or possibly Mavic Cosmic. (Definitely know about the campags though, cos I own a pair!). They're all distinctly aero wheels (30-40mm section), with relatively low-count bladed spokes, sturdy rims and all would have decent servicable hubs. Very nice and very good looking! Only check that they take your cassette, because some will have been for 8-speed setups for example.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... /xr-1-8941

Not fully deep sectioned, but still deeper than your average.

Really good pair of wheels for £200 if you arn't too heavy.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Planet X Model B's are Not aero wheels - however, at 30 mm Rim and reasonably lightweight, with adequate hubs, they might take your fancy ? - and can be had for under £125.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You may be able to find a pair of late model Shamals (the deep rim model) for about £250 on ebay. Very strong and very aero - in a test a few years ago, there were as good as the latest carbon hoops. As far as the 2kg Airlines, save your money and buy something better - they will feel sluggish and slow to reach a fast speed. Remember, aero wheels don't make much difference below 40kph either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • i'm very interested in the airlines now i've seen the weight of rider they can deal with. what sort of aero advantage do these kind of wheels provide?