Anyone tried a wingnut?

Bromski
Bromski Posts: 239
edited July 2008 in MTB general
Has anybody tried one of these wingnut or "cock and balls" hydration packs?

I sometimes get back pain and am considering getting one, but I've yet to see one in the flesh, so to speak...

Comments

• kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    Haven't used one in anger, so to speak, but I have had a good look at one, a few months back at the singletrack offices. They really rated it as it is very comfortable, and because the load is low on your back it is supported more by the hips then the shoulders.

They look very very well put together as well.

Your best bet would probably be to email propel and ask if they have any stockists in your neck of the woods, as I'd probably want to try one on for size if I had back issues, rather than base it on some random spod on a forum's opinion ;)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'm sure one of the mags rated it very highly recently, think it was MBR but might have been SIngletrack.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I stumped up the cash for the wingnut hyper 3.0. Its a revilation in packs its that simple the load is low so you get alot less stress on your back the wings that go round you are big enough to carry 90% of whay you need while out on the trail like food and tools and hte main compartment is big enough for you to fit hte bulky items like extra layers or a waterproof. The mesh pouches are large and secure. Every thing is well thought out even the chest strap buckle doubbles up as an emergancy whistle.

With this bag you can ride and forget its there.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    LA LA LA LA LA (fingers in ears) LA LA LAAAA

Just bought a Camelbak Mule and it's brilliant.

The Wingnut look like gay colostomy bags. :wink:
  • kegs
    Yeah mules are good too, I just wish there was a tiny bit more room in the main compartment when you have a full bladder ;)
  • Surf-Matt
    Kegs - just noticed you are in Truro!

Are you in the MTB club? I live in Malpas Village.

Mules are a bit tight when the bladder is full - but at least you can expand the pockets a bit.
    I do hate it when I get something and days later, something else good appears :evil:

Oh well - Camelbaks look cooler 8) :lol:
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    loads of room in the wingnut even with a full bladder :wink:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • kegs
    Yeah, I live up Infirmary Hill, which is handy for Clive Mitchell's, but a bit of a sod after a blast round Idless ;)

Not in the club, still getting my fitness back tbh, so I'm mainly soloing at the mo.

Mules are good, but of course it is always nice to have something a bit more spacious to take stuff on long/winter rides where you might need a bit more kit ;)
  • Surf-Matt
    I carry any extras under my hat. :D

To be honest though, having done a lot of hiking in my time, I really don't like rucksacks that sit too low so although the Wingnut looks good, I'll pass. Also doesn't look as well made as a Camelbak :wink:

I ride 10 miles through Truro, up to Coosebean, down to Newmillls, towards Threemilestone (country lane route) and back again every morning - three nasty hills but I love it!

Hopefully see you in the club sometime then
  • Certainly is an odd shaped bag but guess that keeping it all around the lower back is better for Centre of gravity!

Matt, i know what you mean matey! get all excited about new kit then someone posts somehting you didnt even think of!

gotta agree though the camalbak's do look cooler! the wingnut kinda has a phalic look about it!!! :wink: :roll:

Kegs, join up matey! the club is all about good riding and good humour! not at all serious! although there are some odd bods like matt that actually enjoy riding Up hills! hahaha!
    links in Matt and my sig's!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481