creaking from bottom bracket help??

Terminator-X
Terminator-X Posts: 37
edited January 2010 in Workshop
i was out on my planet x pro carbon road bike yesterday when i noticed that when i stood out of the saddle there was a creaking coming from the bottom bracket section doesany one know what might have caused this or how to fix it????

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    While I'm no expert, when this has happened to me removing the cranks and stripping the BB out, cleaning the threads, a light re-greasing and refitting usually does the trick, if this doesn't work then it may mean a new BB but strip it out and clean it up first.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Could well be just a bit dry as Chesley says. My record bb has gone but I'm still riding on it. They all vary but yours doesn't sound very old to go so soon, it being a PX pro carbon and all.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Probably what Cheshley said but bear in mind the creaking that seems to come from the bottom bracket can have a myriad of causes- it _might_ not be the bottom bracket! Also check cleats, pedals and cranks at the least.
  • mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    Probably what Cheshley said but bear in mind the creaking that seems to come from the bottom bracket can have a myriad of causes- it _might_ not be the bottom bracket! Also check cleats, pedals and cranks at the least.

Over the years I've found most 'bottom bracket' creaking has been caused by other things. My favourite fix to a noisy BB was putting a bit of grease on the fork dropouts and cranking the QR a bit tighter.

Not sure what it's like on carbon frames, but certainly on the alu bikes I've been riding and noise seems to get amplified trhough the frame and it's very hard sometimes to actually locate the source of the noise.
  • James T
    James T Posts: 104
    was out on my planet x pro carbon road bike yesterday when i noticed that when i stood out of the saddle there was a creaking coming from the bottom bracket section doesany one know what might have caused this or how to fix it

Mine too... Have you found out what the problem is?

I've got an Ultegra version of the Planet X Pro Carbon, only done a few hundered miles, and mine started creaking last night when I got out of the saddle towards the end of the ride, kind of a tick tock creak in rythym with pedalling action.

I thought the cranks may need tightening, but sounds like it may be far more serious - any ideas...
  • damptw
    damptw Posts: 34
    Do you have hollowtech2 cranks? I had a similar problem, and found that loosening the bolts that hold the crank to the axle, and then retightining them fixed it.
  • James T
    James T Posts: 104
    Do you have hollowtech2 cranks? I had a similar problem, and found that loosening the bolts that hold the crank to the axle, and then retightining them fixed it.

Thanks, that did the trick for me - first time I have used my torque wrench Xmas pressie in anger...
  • Sailing7
    Sailing7 Posts: 38
    Similar clicking noise on my Ultegra BB has suddenly become much louder this morning but only when pedalling out of the saddle. Will try the above tips to cure the noise but should probably have read this post first - with new BBs at £16 I went ahead and ordered a new one! Managed to resisit the urge to 'upgrade' and buy Hope - find it hard to justify spending over three times as much!

My origianal Ultegra BB clocked up about 5,000 miles, commuting through the winter so I can't complain....
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    loosen, regrease tighten
    cartoon.jpg
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Had same issue ths weekend, was all set to take in to the LBS, just thought I'd try tweaking the crank bolts, hey presto loads better

Borrowing a torque wrench to do it proerly

Like others say, most BB creaks often are elsewhere

i chased on for ages, ended up being the seatpost, regreased, tighted corrently, silence!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Sailing7
    Sailing7 Posts: 38
    Will take apart the assembly tonight. Can't service the BB though, as Shimano cups aren't designed that way. Put it all back together, including the slightly longer bolt on the inboard side of the crank and see if there's any difference - report back later...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mekonta wrote:

Over the years I've found most 'bottom bracket' creaking has been caused by other things. My favourite fix to a noisy BB was putting a bit of grease on the fork dropouts and cranking the QR a bit tighter.

Not sure what it's like on carbon frames, but certainly on the alu bikes I've been riding and noise seems to get amplified trhough the frame and it's very hard sometimes to actually locate the source of the noise.

Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about. Every squeak, creak, and grating sound always SEEMS to come from the B/B.

Dennis Noward
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    mekonta wrote:
    My favourite fix to a noisy BB was putting a bit of grease on the fork dropouts and cranking the QR a bit tighter.

That made me laugh. The other day I fixed my creaking BB by regreasing my seatpost. ;-)
  • Update - took BB apart and re-assembled - there was tiny amount of water inside which I wiped out. On re-fitting the clicking persisted when riding out of saddle. Fitted new Shimano Ultegra cups and silence - Joy

Five months of commuting later and clicking returns - reckon thses cups only did 3,000 miles max but they were cheap. At least the British made Hope BB has come down in price so I fitted that at the weekend. Hollow axle rests directly on stainless bearing race rather than on the plastic seal Shimano style. First ride in this morning and silence - more joy - I didn't really enjoy using the old hack bike in the snow.

Will post update when the Hope BB gives up the ghost but seems unlikely as they are fully serviceable.
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    James T wrote:
    was out on my planet x pro carbon road bike yesterday when i noticed that when i stood out of the saddle there was a creaking coming from the bottom bracket section doesany one know what might have caused this or how to fix it

Mine too... Have you found out what the problem is?

I've got an Ultegra version of the Planet X Pro Carbon, only done a few hundered miles, and mine started creaking last night when I got out of the saddle towards the end of the ride, kind of a tick tock creak in rythym with pedalling action.

I thought the cranks may need tightening, but sounds like it may be far more serious - any ideas...

Same, my new Planet X stealth's bottom bracket creaks. Mine was put together by planet x so maybe they did something wrong.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    More often than not when I'm thinking my bottom bracket is creaking - it is my quick release skewers that are the problem - re-tightening/adjusting them is something I would always check first.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    also refer you to sticky at top of this forum :) ; so many causes of same noises!!