Scared of my Clipless

ChubbyNess
ChubbyNess Posts: 6
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

Im wondering if anyone can help me, ive been cycling decently for around half a year to a year now and ive decided to take up clipless, ive already got my shoes and my clips but, and its a big but i went out just now excited and scared at the same time managed to unclip ect without falling out, a few close calls well now im just plain scared of them, im just so scared i wont be able to clip out in emergencys ect. Does anyone have any tips? just to help me out as i really want to learn to use them and not be scared otherwise i might just have to go back to ordinary pedals :(

Thanks for any help

Nessy xx

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You will get used to them!

If they're Shimano SPD's check that the release tension is set at it's lowest, which will make unclipping easier.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Loads of people don't like them and there is an issue concerning wear and tear on the knee joints because you are unable to move your leg into the ideal comfortable position.

Don't force yourself, I use normal flat pedals, though since I bought my Hybrid I may buy some toe clips but I will never go clipless.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    AndyManc wrote:
    there is an issue concerning wear and tear on the knee joints because you are unable to move your leg into the ideal comfortable position.

If they are set up in the correct position there really shouldn't be an issue with this.

Its just a case of practice, and developing a good pedal technique. Confidence should come with using them more, but some people just don't get on with them.
  • pdrolo
    pdrolo Posts: 127
    I have been using them on my road bike for years. I would start off just using them on road - stay on flat roads - and unclick well in advance of any junction - you can coast along with one pedal unclipped.

For on road - Clipless pedals are pretty much essential - for off road its more a matter of personal choice - I haven't yet gone gone clipless off road - and think it will be a while before I do !
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    AndyManc wrote:
    Loads of people don't like them and there is an issue concerning wear and tear on the knee joints because you are unable to move your leg into the ideal comfortable position.

Don't force yourself, I use normal flat pedals, though since I bought my Hybrid I may buy some toe clips but I will never go clipless.
    You can move your leg into a comfortable riding position as your foot is not totally locked in place, most SPD pedals come with a degree of 'float' some have more float, some less, therefore your foot can move around a bit whilst still being clipped in.

If you do suffer with knee problems, either your cleats aren't set at the right angle or you have dodgy knees ;)

Toe clips are bloody lethal things, a lot harder to get your foot out from than SPD's

Yeah I agree that some riders prefer flats & some prefer SPD's, but it sounds like the rider in question would like to try them to see if they're worthwhile.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • rwsbike971
    rwsbike971 Posts: 40
    I've used SPD pedals for several years now, they're infinitely better than clips and straps and getting into and out of them soon becomes second nature with practice - even in an emergency. Using clipless pedals also makes your pedaling more efficient.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    I've been riding XC with SPD's for a while and the difference they make is amazing, you can ride faster for longer your feet don’t bounce around on your pedals over the rough stuff and especially when climbing but you do need to work on your pedalling technique to get the best out of them. When setting them up a good idea is to sit on a table with your legs hanging, then look at the position of your feet, this will give you an idea of how you want to be fitting your cleats to your shoes. You want to try and replicate this normal position, try fitting them first with the cleat under the ball of your foot and see how that feels, moving the cleat forwards or backwards can also have an effect on how you pedal. The position of your cleats and saddle is important and will prevent damage to your knees.
    Find somewhere quiet to ride, not off road and practice clipping and unclipping over and over again, you will be astonished how easy it is.
    Don’t worry about not being able to un-clip in a hurry, it’s surprising how fast you can un-clip when you need to and you will do it without even thinking, you will never stay clipped to your bike if you have an off. :wink:
    If you come to a technical bit on your ride and you don’t feel too confident being clipped in you can un-clip a foot and still pedal with both feet so you are able to dab a foot down if you need to.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    pdrolo wrote:
    I have been using them on my road bike for years. I would start off just using them on road - stay on flat roads - and unclick well in advance of any junction - you can coast along with one pedal unclipped.

For on road - Clipless pedals are pretty much essential - for off road its more a matter of personal choice - I haven't yet gone gone clipless off road - and think it will be a while before I do !

I'm the same, love clipless on the road, still using flats off road
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • As someone has mentioned above, it's not so much knowing how to unclip (the technique is not that difficult, if the tension is set correctly), it's knowing when to unclip.

If you are approaching an obstacle or a juntion etc. clip out in advance. Or clip out one foot (and remember which one you unclipped!).

I went halfway, and got some half flats, half cleats from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop. for £18.
    Had no problems at all.

I flirted with clipless 10 years ago, and swore I would never touch them again. After taking up cycling again recently, I gave them another go, and haven't looked back.
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Stick with them, as they said above slacken them off as much as you can and practice getting inand out of them. You will be fine when they are new and its fresh in your head but its when you come to a junction or obstacle a few weeks on when you think you hve the hang of it that they will bite you!
    But the I reckon the benefits far outweigh the negatives, they improve pedalling efficiency greatly as you can pedal a whole circle rather than just pushing on the down stroke.
    Having said that if you dont like them then stick with flatties, there are loads of people that do so there is nothign wrong with it!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    If you are using Shimano pedals get some multi-release cleats and take the adjuster all the way back in the pedal. You won’t fall off as they release with a hard upwards pull. As you get used to them you can tighten them up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10969

A few weeks on you will release with out thinking about it , it becomes a natural thing.
    The benefits you will find is you will go further and faster using more muscle groups and feel less fatigued.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    One thing to remember is that most can't unclip moments happen at very slow speed as you topple over. Every big off I've ever had my feet have left the pedals without me even thinking about it. So don't worry if you can't unclip quickly enough in a slow speed off, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll stay attached in a bigger crash.

Everyone has comedy moments when they first learn and continue to have odd moments when it doesn't work, I've been using SPDs for nearly 10 years and still couldn't unclip quickly enough the other day (was only doing aout 2 miles an hour as the front wheel hit a rock, result was I ended up in a load of reeds :oops: , got straight back on and tried again). That said there is no way I'd personally swap back to flats, I love knowing that my feet will stay on the pedals over the rough stuff, riding flats to me now is like driving a car without wearing a seat belt, just doesn't feel safe.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I look at SPD's as being for the enthusiast , or the completely mental . :P

The fact is the overwhelming number of bikers don't use them and considering the condition of the roads when your legs are used often as a balancing lever then it's easy to understand why.

If you're willing to accept that you are more likely to hit tarmac/dirt than you would using flats then go ahead , you have to take into account your age ( the older you get the harder it hurts and your less likely to recover ), the conditions that you will be riding on and if they are really necessary if your just popping down the post office twice a week.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Alright Nessy
    Inverness area by any chance?
    Dont be scarred of the clipless.
    You will soon get used to them.
    Remember to keep them clean and give them a spray of WD40 to keep all the bits moving freely and you'll love them.
    They give you heaps more power ( and control ).
    They're pretty easey to get out of and once yourve ridden withem them for a few hours, it all becomes second nature.
    I reckon AndyManc is wrong about accepting you'll hit the dirt more often it takes no time at all to get out of them, it's just a flick once you have the nack, keep at it and your reward is extra power and control.
    8)
  • Thanks for the replys everyone :) i have already gone out for about 20 minutes just testing clipping in and out so i know i can do that, going to buy the gold cleats though as i know myself while i am getting used to going clipless if i can just yank upwards i will feel safer. Im also just going to go out offroad and if i fall of i fall i will just need to learn to get back on.

Thanks again :)

Nessy xx
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nessy one thing that i learnt early on is towards the end of a ride is where you tend to forget. so if returning home on roads unclip before lights etc in lots of time.

also if you see friends on a ride unclip and stop. dont try riding slowly while clip and chatting.

:oops:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    omegas wrote:
    If you are using Shimano pedals get some multi-release cleats and take the adjuster all the way back in the pedal. You won’t fall off as they release with a hard upwards pull. As you get used to them you can tighten them up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10969

A few weeks on you will release with out thinking about it , it becomes a natural thing.
    The benefits you will find is you will go further and faster using more muscle groups and feel less fatigued.

Would totally agree with the above was using the standard cleet and was finding it hard to release (even on the slackest tension) and often had comedy moments and was starting to think about going back to flats then got multi release cleats and have been much better even started to tighten the tension up on the pedals as getting much more used to them and make a lot of diffrence on hills.

G
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    AndyManc wrote:
    The fact is the overwhelming number of bikers don't use them and considering the condition of the roads when your legs are used often as a balancing lever then it's easy to understand why.

If you're willing to accept that you are more likely to hit tarmac/dirt than you would using flats then go ahead , you have to take into account your age ( the older you get the harder it hurts and your less likely to recover ), the conditions that you will be riding on and if they are really necessary if your just popping down the post office twice a week.

An overwhelming number of riders do use them as well, there must be a benefit to it right? I've not fallen off due to SPDs for months, since I started using them. I'll freak out and mysteriously unclip in event of an emergency. I'm talking the sort when you come from fast to stationary in seconds and get launched, every time I've managed to unclip automatically. Even if you do fall off it's generally really slow speed accidents, how often are you flying along at 20mph with your feet dragging on the floor anyway?

For pivoting around your leg, it's a very quick motion, you'll get used to pre-empting when you need to clip out.

SPDs don't hurt either, if you force your knees into odd angles they can do. The above is no more constructive than saying "don't wear shoes, they hurt!".

It's always the people who's not got used to them with bizarre negative remarks.

I'd stick with it, don't expect to get that confident overnight though. Ride things you feel comfy with using them, use the flats again on the things you're shakey on. In no time you'll find you're just as confident with the SPDs. I literally prefer riding with them now, hammering over rough stuff sends me flying all over on the pedals, no idea how I used to cope :P
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Going for clip less has been the best upgrade I have ever made on my bike.Never had any problems with forgetting to unclip and I think they do make you a safer cyclist as you are more aware of road conditions, having to anticipate when you need to stop. thats my opinion anyway.
    Also with toe clips unless you have them done up tight you cannot pull up as easily as you can with clip less.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Followed, in the van, a rider on a road bike today and we both stopped at the lights by Argos in Bristol and rather than unclip he rested on the railings at the side of the road. Not done that myself but there have been numerous times I've been tempted to use those metal supports that are in the road. Cars are the name given to them I think :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • toby_g
    toby_g Posts: 37
    I have been using SPDs since ~1998. I find them absolutely essential. When I got my new bike recently my first outing was on flats (I didnt have the clipless pedals for it yet), I was finding it such hard work on the hills:

When I am climbing I try to keep a smooth rotation (without driving down sharply on each pedal stroke), this helps to keep traction at the back, and delivers a far more efficient climb. You can only do this with clipless, as you need to be able to pull up on the pedals as well as drive down.
  • apoc_reg
    apoc_reg Posts: 166
    I got clipless with my bike and used them at kielder Water.

Fell off after about a second and scuffed up my leg but once id got the hang of it they were brilliant especially for climbing up those big hills off road!
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    In general, for XC, SPD's are for the serious rider and no one that knows about them or has seriously tried them could say they don't make a massive difference.

When I got into biking again, I got an entry level bike (rockhopper disk) promising myself that the way forward was to improve bike skills, improve bike fitness, master the SPD and then I could get myself a decent bike and would actually be able to do it justice.

I signed up for a charity road ride (140 miles over 2 days) which included plenty of road training leading upto it. I took this as an opportunity to get some clipped in miles under my belt and can say that now it feels more comfortable riding clipped in than it does on flats. Both my road bike and MTB have spds fitted now.

That said, I havent pointed my mtb down anything aggressive so it could be that even with all the road miles under my belt, initially I will lose my nerve a bit to carry as much speed. One thing for sure, seeing the benefits I will deffo persevere in getting used to them on aggressive off road.
  • stuxmann
    stuxmann Posts: 31
    I am both a road cyclist and in winter i do MTB (XC). I have always used SPDs for my road bike as once you are clipped in you are normally in for a decent length of time, other than traffic lights/junctions, where you can normally slow down to time it so you dont need to actually unclip, but at least when you do unclip you have plenty of warning, no rushed unclippings and the possibility of any problems is limited.
    However, with MTB its a whole different game. I currently use SPDS but im about to try flatties for the first time. my main issue with SPDs is when climbing offroad, i am constantly having to unclip on difficult terrain. I shoudl point out im not the best MTBer out there, if your a decent level this might not be a problem , but for me i find its more tiring with SPD , having to unclip, then clipping back in on a hill can be a nightmare, trying to keep my balance whilst setting off....flatties seem so much easier in this regard. One lad we go with uses flatties and hes always first up the hills. I do accept though that downhill being clipped in gives you more control and your feet wont bounce off the pedals, but overall i feel the extra inconvenience and difficulty of getting uphill makes flatties a better option for me on MTB. Its also a comfort thing..SPD can give you a "hot spot", especially on all day rides, as your feet are in exactly the same position all day, whereas flatties enable you to move them a round a bit, spreading the load . At the end of the day though its all about preference, as with saddle choice its whatever suits you
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I tried clipless on my Pitch and it scared the living $h1t outta me when I couldn't get my feet out quick enuff in slippy/icey conditions. Which is mainly why I used Flats & FiveTens :D

However on teh road I am clipped in and it makes a huge difference to climbing and general pedaling when you're a bit tired
  • Niteowl
    Niteowl Posts: 4
    might look silly but you can try one foot at a time. left today, right tomorrow, when you confident enough try them both.

good luck
  • MTBLee
    MTBLee Posts: 23
    Well I bought my first bike in years today, a Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon.

Anyway they came with clipless pedals so I thought how hard can it be, bought some shoes and set off for my first ride in years.

Well I can't count how many times I stacked it coming to a stop, eventually after an hour I got used to them, but I must say I wouldn't trust them going off road, would be too worried I'd break my leg or something.

As I plan to use my bike mainly for off roading I think ill invest in some flat pedals :cry:
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I went off roading the other day - first propper time clipped in. Went and did jacobs ladder in the peaks. very rocky with some hardish downhill decents. Now on the road, I feel totally comfy clipped in. Cant imagine road riding without clips infact.

Off road - it really is a different matter. Even with the road experience it was still a bit of an ordeal and on the really rough stuff and big drops I actually bottled it where I am sure I would have ridden it on flats.

That said - there were two guys on full suspecion bikes who have been clipping in for years and they were totally nailing it (like complete nut jobs). they were of the opinion that riding without SPD's would be harder as your feet would bounce on the pedals on the rough stuff. I guess it whats you used too.

I will keep going. This experiance was loads better than my previous experience as I didnt have any massive SPD related stacks. I did go over the handle bars over a huge set of rock ledges but managed to unclip and land on my feet which muct have looked pretty impressive. I hate to think what would have happend if I didnt manage to come away from the bike- but the fact is I did so it doesnt matter.

I still believe spds are the way forward, but have much respect for them and the people that are comfy riding at speed off road.
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    You could try adjustable clipless pedals like Shimano MT540 or MT520 - the wind the tension right down (I run with one "click" in). After the pedal has "broken in" from new, pretty much anything other than a straight pull up will mean pedal and foot will detach. At least that's my experience.
  • Kyrotek
    Kyrotek Posts: 48
    Try a combination pedal, SPD one side and platform the other so you can choose how you want to go for any given situation. Either that or like myself, an SPD noob, I went for double sided platform with clips in the centre. M647's for which have turned out to be easy in and out with a platform to rest on, reducing hotspots and allowing for un-clipped riding too.
    Don't get too close as a broken tail light often offends...