blatant ignorance

trail jacker
trail jacker Posts: 844
edited July 2008 in MTB general
hi all.
just picked up my bike from decathlon today, as i had a new rear cassette fitted and my lbs was fully booked. anywho, cycling home i turned a left corner and leant into it, as you do, and was nearly thrown off as my rear tyre was scraping against the right hand seatstay - turned out the rear QR was stupidly loose (i could undo it using my little finger alone). i wasnt hurt, just really surprised by the stupidity of the mechanics working there. anyone else had any similar experiences (not from decathlon, just in general)?

Comments

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Seriously, its always worth checking things like QR's before you ride it, even if you have picked it up from a bike shop.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Stupidity or a single issue of carelesness?

I'd be tempted to suggest that if the rest is all good, it was just one of the problems with employing humans as mechanics.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I always check the q/r tension and tyre pressure, etc before setting off...
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    at my lbs they usualy leave the front a little loose so people can just take the wheel off to put in the car easily :roll:
    worth checking before you set off tho..
  • taff_94
    taff_94 Posts: 33
    Hey i had that yesterday,

Brought my bike into the garden to clean it when i found that the back wheel was hanging off due to the QR being loose. Good job i hadn't gone on the planned bike ride otherwise i could be hurt. I suppose you learn from your mistakes.

Taff
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    I at least check my wheels and headset/bars, especially after somebody else has been working on my bike.
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    I double check everything - especially as many years ago I forgot to fully tighten the wedge bolt on a quill handlebar stem - went out for test ride, comedy moment when I tried to pop the front up a kerb :oops: Amazing how time slows down when you fly upside down over the bike with the handlebars still in your hands :lol:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Crank came off (not tightened) after a spell in LBS - which will remain nameless.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    All I can say is - this is not a perfect world and if you think for a minute that paying
    someone to do something for you will always result in perfection then you have a
    whole lot learn. Unless, of course, there is a halo around your head. If I sound like
    I'm being harsh, well, I am.

Dennis Noward
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    picked my spesh up from having the suspension serviced the other day; gave my dad a list of stuff to check before he collected it though. then i gave it a thorough going over when i got home. never be too sure!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    I always check the bike over, especially quick releases, tyre pressure and brakes before setting off.

My G\F had a comedy moment while checking her bike before a ride, she'd put the wheel on the wrong way round (yep disk was on the wrong side), we'd laughed about it but had she's hit a descent and then found out... Yikes!

Rule of thumb: if it's been to LBS check it like it's been put back together by blind armless chimps. That way if it's all good it's a pleasant surprise :)