Is SRAM any good?

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited June 2008 in MTB buying advice
Buying a new bike with SRAM 7 bits on it - shifters & deraillers. Have the chance to upgrade to XT at a cost. Anyway, I want to know the difference. Does XT perform much better?

I've always had Shimano and know nothing of SRAM.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    leave the Sram on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Personally I would leave the SRAM on. Its personal preference really (I think the shifting is more reliable with SRAM) but I doubt you will notice any real benefits of putting the XT on.

To see a real improvement in shifting performance, for not that much cash, get some high quality gear cables. I would personally recommend the Shimano XTR cable set which is of course compatible with either SRAM or Shimano shifters and derailleurs.

Stu
  • timberjack
    timberjack Posts: 279
    xt is far superior
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    In what way would you say that XT is far superior?

Stu
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    leave SRAM on
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Personal preference. XT is only a little more expensive than X7. I find Shimano to be better made, and quicker and slicker shifting. SRAM is more 'positive' with a definite thunk. XT shifters now dual release too. SRAM has a different cable pull which helps in muddy conditions.
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    What dirtbiker said :wink: I changed from xt to sram and wont be goin back to shimano anytime soon :P
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    As 'sonic says, not much difference between the 2. Shimano IS a little bit slicker, but dont know about better made. Sram is good stuff and with the different pull ratio works better when things get muddy. More of a click into gear than shimano's snick.... but more reliable in my experience. Saying that, I find shimano's front mechs better....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    To be honest, I don't think there is that much difference in the performance.

Both work very well. The biggest thing is the way they shift. Shimano using thumb & finger, whereas with the SRAM you thumb both levers. Neither are that difficult to get used to. I have switched between the 2 systems a few times when borrowing a bike.

My preference is XT, but even then, my shifters are the cheaper Deore. Not that it makes too much difference, but I think X-7 is equivalent to LX (X-9 = XT)

Personally, if the bike comes with SRAM, I can't see any real point in changing.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    ratty2k wrote:
    Saying that, I find shimano's front mechs better....
    The marins i've bought have come with sram rear mech and shimano front. not sure if that is due to quality or price.
  • passout
    Some good replies so far, thanks.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Have one XT/LX Stumpjumper and one SRAM X-9/X-7 Stumpjumper.

I prefer the SRAM stuff - looked at both very closely (cos I'm sad) and the SRAM machining and finishing just looks better, it seems to need almost zero maintenance and it seems to shift a bit more positively.
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    ratty2k wrote:
    Saying that, I find shimano's front mechs better....
    The marins i've bought have come with sram rear mech and shimano front. not sure if that is due to quality or price.

The GT i'm buying is the same.

X-9 rear, LX front.

Passout have you tried the bike or sram system. Some prefer it some don't, its definately a bit more clunky than XT, but on the same note its a more definate gear change.

Its horses for courses really. I don't think anyone should or would recommend that you change to shimano before giving SRAM a try, it would be a waste of money as SRAM is good in its own right, its just different.

Someone may change it themselves, but thats because there are some people who only like Shimano gears, on that same note there are some that love SRAM.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    The bike shop probably has a bike with X7 and another with XT in stock, take both for a spin round the car park and see which you like the feel of.

I'd probably stick with Sram myself, but I was under the impression that X7 was on par with LX rather than XT - and I can't comment on the relative durability of the two ranges.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Chaka - it is.

X-5 = Deore
    X-7 = LX
    X-9 = XT
    X-0 = XTR

(more or less).
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Chaka - it is.

X-5 = Deore
    X-7 = LX
    X-9 = XT
    X-0 = XTR

(more or less).

What I said too!
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • passout
    I did ride their test bike - which was XT. I've never ridden SRAM - perhaps I should have a go as suggested.

Are they the same in terms of longevity? It's hard to tell but I'm sure some of you may have some comments.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I have SRAM X7 on my pitch and it's never complained once in 8 months which is awesome considering most of my riding is done around delamere forest which is mainly sand.

Silica makes awesome grinding paste :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Chaka - it is.

X-5 = Deore
    X-7 = LX
    X-9 = XT
    X-0 = XTR

(more or less).

What I said too!

Which makes Shimano look much better value! Price wise, X7 is on a par with XT, X9 is closer to XTR, and X0 in a world of its own.
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    Personally from a purely aesthetic point of view I much prefer the look of the SRAM shifters to the shimano equivalent.

I think if you are switching from shimano to SRAM there will obviously be a difference that will take a little getting used to, in the fact that SRAM is all thumb.
    Not sure if anyone will complain about the robustness of either systems though.
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    I've used both systems and never really had any problems with either . I agree with GibboGT on the looks sram is nicer looking . A lot of reliability comes down to cleanliness of cables more than anything else.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Sram much better every bike I had has had Sram would not want
    anything else really