Rockshox Dart 2 question

tomsapples2000
tomsapples2000 Posts: 20
edited June 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I've recently rediscovered my mountain bike after a couple of years of inactivity. It's great to be back on it again, but I'm always disappointed in the sogginess of my forks [Awful RST 381-ELs which are now 8 years old] and was thinking of upgrading. My bike is a year 2000 Scott USA Expert Racing, which I've meanwhile upgraded some of the parts [brakes and drivechain], however I've not bothered to upgrade the forks yet.

What I want from a fork are primarily stiffness and lockout. I use the bike to get to places on-road, and for training purposes, so lock-out is really important to me and something my current forks do not have. I've been looking at the Dart 2s but have heard conflicting reports about lockout. Some sites mention it, some sites do not, one site mentions it is 'optional'.

So my real question is do the Dart 2s have lockout, or alternatively if someone could recommend me a good XC fork with lockout for around the same price [£60] I'd be grateful!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some do, some don't: the site should specify which version they selling.

The Dart2, while better than the RST, doesn't really amount to an upgrade in my book - it is nearly 1.5lbs heavier than the RST! I would spend just a little more, your frame deserves it.

I'd look at the Marzocchi MX Pro and RockShox Tora - far better forks.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    yeah 2nd the MX pro and Toras...check out merlin.
    Darts are pish
  • It's been a while since I've looked at mountain bike parts, and I had a quick look at some bikes even though I've no intention of buying anything new yet. I was surprised, technology moves fast! I spent 700 on my bike 8 years ago, and for the same type of kit I'd only have to spend 400-ish today!

I'll look at those forks, I didn't realise they were that much heavier than my current forks and weight shedding/streamlining is quite important to me.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    why not get some carbon rigid forks then
  • supersonic
    Yeah, amazing what you can get for 400 quid! I remember a decent damped fork in the 90s was 300 quid, a light frame 500... now you get both in a 400 quid package!

The Tora is still a bit weighty, but if you want stiff and bombproof then it is a great buy. One reason the RST was fairly light was the skinny structure, and rubber springs - and no damping!

If you want something lighter, will have to up the budget to 200 - or look for a 2nd hand fork like a Skareb.
  • Still hunting, and I found these which are a lot less costly than elsehwere:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18

But they lack V-Brake bosses! I'm guessing the bosses are machined into the lowers and can't be added on afterwards?
  • papasmurf. wrote:
    why not get some carbon rigid forks then

If I wanted to keep wholly onroad, I might, but I remember the old days of riding offroad on rigids and getting aching hands and elbows!
  • supersonic
    Some forks have the fittings where you can screw them in, but you cant if they are disc only.

Merlin Cycles were advertising the MX Pro LO in the latest magazine for 99.99
  • supersonic wrote:
    Some forks have the fittings where you can screw them in, but you cant if they are disc only.

Merlin Cycles were advertising the MX Pro LO in the latest magazine for 99.99

Apparently not anymore >_< :

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=17

There's these though, I tried to find an online reveiw but without much success:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=17
  • supersonic
    Only the MZ supercomp is any good - the Race and comp have no dampers.
  • Seems like the MZs don't have lockout anyway which is disappointing.

The cheapest I've found the Tora's are here:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Forks_2008

A good fork then? Also, is it possible to add a poploc at a later date?

Thanks for the help!
  • supersonic
    Very well performing fork, lots of features, reliable, stiff - but heavy. An XC racers fork it aint. I have 2, one on my Idrive, one on the Ruckus, can't fault them. Air versions are lighter, but more expensive.

Poploc can be added, but comes as a kit for about 40-50 pounds.
  • I have Dart2s and while they're better than my old Judys they're fairly guff! I need to upgrade soon.

I'd be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on second hand forks on eBay?

Is it worth the risk, what questions should I be asking and will a LBS fit second hand forks?
  • supersonic
    The LBS will for them, but wont be cheap - 20 quid or so.

You ned to ask about how much usage, and what usage, age, services, conditions of seals and bushings, whether all the adjusters still turn and work.

Depends on your budget too.
  • supersonic
    The LBS will for them, but wont be cheap - 20 quid or so.

You ned to ask about how much usage, and what usage, age, services, conditions of seals and bushings, whether all the adjusters still turn and work.

Depends on your budget too.
  • What would around £200 buy second hand?
    I've been looking at RockShox Toras and Rebas.
  • supersonic
    Given you can get Rebas new for 230 at Merlin, and the best Tora for 175, I'd buy new and get a full warranty!
  • What model are the best Toras? I'm not sure whether to go for coil or air.
  • supersonic
    The 318 is the top model - but it can be got coil or air. The 318 means it has lighter tapered stanchions, a alu steerer (or should have) and most importantly the Motion Control damper which is found all the way up to Pikes and Rebas.

Go for coil if want the ultimate in plushness, and adjustable travel. Air for perfect set up to your weight, and lighter fork weight.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    edited June 2008
    I would wait however long it takes to get the extra dosh for the Rebas, they really are great forks.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    Recon SL is sort of a budget Reba - and that is a good price! Doesn't get the Motion Control, but still a lockout and decent weight.
  • So it would seem the Rebas are the ones I should really be aiming for?

The SL isn't too bad at £229.
  • supersonic
    For XC and general trail riding it is the fork to beat - great weight (3.6lbs), dual air spring, motion control (with adjsutable blow off valve).
  • I can't really afford a lighter racing fork, what I might do is invest in some new tyres to get some of the speed/lightness back. I've read very good things about Furious Freds, I tried Fast Freds and loved those, coupled with some Doc Blue puncture prevention I hope they'd be quite reliable puncture wise too. So looks like I'll be spending more than I first thought on the Toras, but hopefully the investment will encourage me to use them more!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Furious Freds are a semi slick tyre, only really good for dry hardpack surfaces. Any hint of mud and they will be awful!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    If it means anything to you bud, i went from darts to recons. The change was amazing. My darts [be them dart ones] refused to give full travel, felt very slugish and stiff and didn't offer much in the way of bumb absorbrion. Recons on the other hand are so plush and easy to use, love them.

In conclusion, don't waste money on sub standard forks. You'll only want to upgrade again when they limit your riding.

Food for thought :)
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Well I've just ordered some Tora 302s, more travel than my current forks which will be nice hurtling down hills, plus I'm hoping the adjustability and especially the lockout will be a great help during commutes and climbs.

Whilst I'm here, I'll talk about tyres. I looked at the Furious Freds but lack of control in wet weather and liability to puncture put me off. How do the Racing Ralphs look for a bit more grip in the wet but still a fast light tyre? Otherwise all fast tyre recommendations are welcome, I ride mainly in good conditions on hardpack ground but obviously in some places there's no telling what you'll meet.
  • The Reba SL are £199 for the V-brake/Disc version but £230 for the disc sepcific.

What's the advantage of having the disc-only version other than looks?

Also...is there a difference between the Reba SL 2007 and 2008 versions, I've seen the 2007 version for £189!
  • Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    Very little difference between '07 and '08 models, there is a post somewhere else on the forum which lists the specs, can't remember where now though.

And other than aesthetics not much advantage in having disc only version, maybe a couple of grams weight wise, counter that with always having the option to run v-brakes should you wish to.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!