XC Vs Enduro

johnnyrotten
johnnyrotten Posts: 216
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Heya folks!

Can anyone tell me the differences between enduro and XC? Is it just distance? What would you look for in an enduro bike as opposed to an XC machine?

John.

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    From what I have seen there are two types of enduro - XC and DH. XC Enduro can often be put in the same boat as marathon racing and both tend to use XC race bikes (although there are marathon specific bikes, see Canondale Rush). If anything an "Enduro" bike may have slightly more travel. I have heard the Trek Fuel EX being called an "enduro bike". As always, when it comes to categorising mountain biking a lot of it comes down to personal perception.
    DH Enduro is riding a bike with around 160mm travel very fast for a long time - see events such as the Mega Avalanche.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    This is really becoming a catch two question and regarding an All Mountain
    bikes but lets not go there.

XC is more small travel bike covering low level terrain.

Enduro is more 140mm travel more harder terrain and more
    exciting
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    grantway wrote:
    This is really becoming a catch two question and regarding an All Mountain
    bikes but lets not go there.

XC is more small travel bike covering low level terrain.

Enduro is more 140mm travel more harder terrain and more
    exciting

Don't you mean catch twenty-two?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Enduro bikes in my mind have a longer wheel base than a trail bike to make them very stable on looooong descents, like BS said the Megavalanche. My 'trail' bike is more flickable and comfortable on tight technical terrain than my mates 'enduro' bike - who can really let it fly on open moorlane descents.
  • So what bike would be better an XC or an Enduro? and how much harder is it to use an enduro bike as a XC bike
    I'm thinking of buying a new bike but I'm not sure If I should get a XC or an Enduro, I'd pretty much like a bike which i can do blue, red and black trails aswell as some dh and jumps but probably more long red trails.
  • Its all just mountain biking. Just get a bike you like and ride it. It doesn't matter what you call it.
    I ride a bike which is considered to be a lightweight xc race bike but I will happily ride black graded trails on it and good size jumps and drops. I had an enduro style bike and 75% of the time it was too heavy and hard work.
    Test ride a variety of bikes and buy what you like.
  • get a trail bike then
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When this thread started I don't even think pnuematic tyres had been invented.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks RockmonkeySC, that's helpfull, but I'm not sure if testing is an option as I wouldn't buy a new bike. I think I'll Just get a full sus with quite a lot of travel but I don't know what one? my max budget will be around £800 and I'm happy to build up from a frame with used parts
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    There's tons on pikey Bay, have a gander.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I7 Extreme wrote:
    Thanks RockmonkeySC, that's helpfull, but I'm not sure if testing is an option as I wouldn't buy a new bike. I think I'll Just get a full sus with quite a lot of travel but I don't know what one? my max budget will be around £800 and I'm happy to build up from a frame with used parts

go to a shop or demo day, find a bike you like. take it for a test ride, then look for a second hand one. simple :D

buying blind can be dangerous. even when I bought my nomad second hand I took it for a spin to see if I liked it first. the guy was sat in my car so he knew I wasn't gonna fark off :lol:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Very much agree with trying to demo a few bikes at least.

In the old days you just had a mountain bike, now there are so many little niches and people feel the need to buy a bike to be labelled with their niche of choice.

Try a few bikes out just so you know what you like and a don't like. Forget about what niche the bike has been labelled with and just judge it upon how it rides the kind of terrain you will be riding.

Apart from super light weight XC race machines most bikes are pretty strong and will handle a little bit of everything just fine. It just depends on which compromises you are or are not willing to accept.
  • Even xc race bikes can be pretty tough. Im abusing my Anthem as hard as I can and the bugger refuses to break. Even coming up short on a road gap didn't worry it.
  • I've contacted backontrack bikes for a test ride and here's the list of demo bikes
    " Come and try some of the best brands available, choose your ride from our ever expanding fleet of demo bikes

Trail/Enduro Bikes.

2013 Orange Five Pro, with Fox factory kashima CTD forks and rear shock (140mm travel) size 17inch
    2012 Orange Gyro Pro, with Fox kashima forks and rear shock (120mm/110mm travel)
    size 19inch
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1, with Fox performance CTD forks and rear shock (120mm travel) size medium

2012 Transition Bandit 2, with Fox kashima forks and rear shock (140mm/130mm travel) size medium

2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon, with Fox kashima forks and rear shock (150mm travel) size medium

2013 Ibis Mojo SLR carbon, with Fox factory CTD 34 forks and rear shock (150mm/140mm travel) size 19 inch

XC/Trail Bikes

2012 Giant Anthem X 1, Fox float RL forks and RP23 rear shock (100mm travel) size medium

Cyclocross Bikes

2013 Giant TCX 1. size medium/large

Coming Soon

2013 Giant Anthem X 29er 1, with Fox performance CTD forks and rear shock (100mm travel) size large

2013 Ibis Mojo HD 160, size large"

I think I'll try some of the Trail/Enduro Bikes :-D
  • Trance is worth a demo. Dont let its shorter travel put you off, it does a lot with its 120mm
  • It's a 29er though, there not 8), I'm joking but I didn't think I'd be able to build up a decent dual sus 29er for £800
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Trance is worth a demo. Dont let its shorter travel put you off, it does a lot with its 120mm

a lad I know has the trance 29er and he rode it in the alps for a week last month and loved it :D
  • I7 Extreme wrote:
    It's a 29er though, there not 8), I'm joking but I didn't think I'd be able to build up a decent dual sus 29er for £800

Any Giant shop can get you a 26" demo bike. You would be able to get a nice used frame for around £300
  • 29ers are for hippies ;)
  • would this be a good frame to get for £200? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161103105593? ... 1423.l2661 (2009)
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    29ers are for hippies ;)

Mountain biking was invented by hippies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h19n-5qIp78

They didn't need 160mm of suspension to fly downhill either ;)
  • They rode fire roads and were drifters..

Definately hippies.. I'm a bloke more is better!!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I7 Extreme wrote:
    would this be a good frame to get for £200? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161103105593? ... 1423.l2661 (2009)

Probably not. Most bikes designed from car manufacturers have been poor. I don't know anything about this bike and a quick search doesn't come up with much. Way too much of an unknown quantity for me to buy it.
  • jairaj wrote:
    I7 Extreme wrote:
    would this be a good frame to get for £200? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161103105593? ... 1423.l2661 (2009)

Probably not. Most bikes designed from car manufacturers have been poor. I don't know anything about this bike and a quick search doesn't come up with much. Way too much of an unknown quantity for me to buy it.

probably like bmw cars. Overweight, overpriced, ugly, not as good as it should be and only ridden by sales reps or estate agents.
    In ten years time it will be bought by some chav and lowered and have stupid looking body work bolted on.
  • Thanks for the advice, I won't get it, I'll probably just get a whole bike unless a good frame pops up