Wind is for kites NOT for Road Cycling

IanTrcp
IanTrcp Posts: 761
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Who enjoyed the wind today then?

Not me - 3hrs+ for just 71km including two near death experiences with passing traffic. At one stage I noted that a steadyish 300w was getting me just under 25kph on the flat.

No thanks!

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I bottled the road bike today. 2 hours on the MTB and only averaged 8.3mph. It probably did me no good what so ever.

You say its good weather for kites. On weekends there's usually a load of weirdos who seem to find it fun to strap themselves to either a board or go kart like device and a kite and go up and down the National Trust land my house backs on to. Not a one today (or yesterday) and its blowing an absolute whoolie.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I did.

For what seems to have been months there's been nothing but cold clam coming of the North Sea here in Norfolk. It was great to get out in the sun with a warm ,if brisk, wind for a change :D:D
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I'm another one who gave it a miss today :( and because today is the only day of the week when I usually manage to have 2 or 3 hours just to get out on the bike and do a reasonable mileage 30+ rather than my quick 5-12 miles that I manage to fit in through the week I wasn't best pleased.

Though it's probably been for the best as I eventually got round to giving the chain a good clean and re-lube, toed-in my front brake blocks and generally gave the bike a good going over and wipe down I'm looking forward to next weekend now.
  • cbj
    cbj Posts: 44
    Funnily enough I gave kite surfing a miss today as its gets too tasty for the kites I have when its gusting up to 45 mph and went out on the bike.

66 miles in 4.5 hours , 3.5 of which felt like I was cycling into a head wind which seemed like riding in treacle at times, the other 1 hour when I had a tail wind was hilarious , whipping along, good fun and was hard work at times but worth getting out. :lol:
  • cyclingvet
    cyclingvet Posts: 131
    I decided to go out today as I'd only done 25 miles on Wednesday since last Saturday's 78- miler and I've got the Wyre Forest Stinger coming soon. I did a route I only ever do when there's strong westerly winds, and that was west from Cropston (northwest of Leicester) where I live, over Charnwood Forest and through Market Bosworth and to Nuneaton and back. I was against the wind on the way out but coming back was a dream - Nuneaton to Cropston (25 miles) in 59 minutes! My average speed ended up being 16.8mph, which is not different from normal depending on the terrain.

There were a few parts of the route where I had some strong cross winds and I had a couple of scary moments when some gusts nearly blew my wheels from under me :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Needed to get a time for the Richmond Park 3-lapper and went out this morning. Not fun, but at least in a circular route there are ups as well as downs.

Having said that, headwinds can eat my balls.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I did my longest ever road race out in the "rather blustery conditions"* - some very interesting moments in the cross winds :shock: but damn, the tail wind section was FUN! :P

* - race organisers understatement of the month
  • Club run today stuck to the relative flat of Wakefield area rather than Holme Moss etc in and around the Pennines. Very windy but warm in the Sun. Almost like Lanzarote in February (it's not often Wakey is compared to Lanzarote :wink: ). There were even 2 (admittedly short) stretches of beautifully smooth tarmac. Tempted just to keep riding back and forth over them :)
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Yep, this my first 100km ever :D A great ride around Hertfordshire in the "Ride4aReason" event organised by Verulum CC. Well done chaps, an excellent event with a fantastic route. :) But that wind, what a bugger especially the last few miles with the wind coming straight at you :(
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I dont know how i managed it doing an out and back route down a local toe path was riding in to the wind in both direstions.......... :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Bronzie wrote:
    I did my longest ever road race out in the "rather blustery conditions"* - some very interesting moments in the cross winds :shock: but damn, the tail wind section was FUN! :P

I don't recall there being a tailwind section!
  • Bronzie
    It was the bit in between leaning your bike sideways into the crosswinds and riding into the block headwind (where it didn't feel like someone was holding onto your seatpin :x ) - it only lasted about 1½ miles - blink and you miss it job :wink:
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    it's also hard to feel the advantage of the tailwind with 4 people sat on your wheel all day I guess...
  • Bronzie
    Maybe they WERE holding onto our seatpins - I wouldn't have put it past any of 'em :roll:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Bronzie wrote:

Exceptions to physics #1,006: in cycling there's no such thing as a tailwind...
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Hell yes!!

I didn't have the 'opportunity' to get out today 8) :lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business