Who do you want to win the TDF?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited June 2008 in Pro race
Personally, I'd like to see Andy Schleck win. Maybe with Cunego in 2nd or 3rd and then Valverde in there too. Imagine next year, a TDF with Schleck vs Contador vs Cunego vs Valverde!

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    (cue "Jerusalem", starting quietly and building to a climax)..

Someone who deserves it. Someone who has fine legs, a strong heart and enormous lungs. Someone whose blood is as pure as the driven snow, and is all his own. A nice guy, maybe from humble beginnings, who has worked hard to get where he is, whose reputation is beyond reproach, and who will serve as a beacon of hope and truth for the sport and for the image of cycling throughout the universe...

And preferably someone not French :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve wrote:

And preferably someone not French :wink:

Do you secretly want to make love to a French person or something? :?
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    Do you secretly want to make love to a French person or something? :?[/quote] oh yes vanessa paradis please :lol:
    cheesy quaver
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I'd love a Frenchman to win, but there aren't any that spring to mind.

I'd've liked to see Contador win again, but seeing as that's not possible, I'd like a 1-2-3 from CSC.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i wanna see cavo in green.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    There seems to be a few people who know more than I do thinking that Cunego might *do* something this year in the Tour. Yeah that'd be quite good.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • donrhummy
    vermooten wrote:
    There seems to be a few people who know more than I do thinking that Cunego might *do* something this year in the Tour. Yeah that'd be quite good.

He does seem to be training really hard for this TDF.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    pottssteve wrote:

Someone who deserves it. Someone who has fine legs, a strong heart and enormous lungs. Someone whose blood is as pure as the driven snow, and is all his own. A nice guy, maybe from humble beginnings, who has worked hard to get where he is, whose reputation is beyond reproach, and who will serve as a beacon of hope and truth for the sport and for the image of cycling throughout the universe...
    [/quote

Unfortunately I can't get the time off work otherwise I would thanks for considering me..it is me your talking about??
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I do like Cunego for some reason.

Devolder's development is creeping me out. A bit like monsieur Armstrong. But since I backed him at 95-1, I suppose I wouldn't mind him winning...
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Any Italian.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    biondino wrote:
    Any Italian.

Is Ricco riding?
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Salsiccia wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Any Italian.

Is Ricco riding?

no idea but he is priced at 210-1 on betfair which seems very generous
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    deal wrote:
    Salsiccia wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Any Italian.

Is Ricco riding?

no idea but he is priced at 210-1 on betfair which seems very generous

I think it's doubtful he's going to ride, and if he does get named as starting I think the odds will be less generous.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    maybe worth a sneaky £2 bet just incase :twisted:
  • donrhummy
    Ricco said he might, but since he seems to like racing from a VERY confident position I can't see him doing it.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Evans for me. He looks like he really suffers on mountain stages and has to fight on every hill to stay in contention but is equally gifted in all other dsiciplines. Thats the mark of an overall champion.

1 Evans
    2 Valverde
    3 Cunego

Thats how I would like it to finish.
    Brian B.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Cunego and Devolder to duke it out. Both training for this event, both had strong springs, and key point, both are capable of attacks that can win time
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I don't think DeVolder can last 3 weeks. Not yet anyhow. Cunego would be a good winner, but i want Cadel to win. Get it over with, monkey off his back an'all that. Can't see Menchov doing it, or Sastre. Valverde might make a challenge which would be good to see.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I'm kissing my fiver on Devolder at 66-1 goodbye. I would shout out for Kirchen but he's just so... damn... odd...

Strava is not Zen.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I'm gonna go for Cunego. Can't see Evans doing it as I think he'll cave in to the pressure of being favourite. Still have a suspision that Astana will get a last min invite though!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    calvjones wrote:
    I'm kissing my fiver on Devolder at 66-1 goodbye. I would shout out for Kirchen but he's just so... damn... odd...

I'm intrigued now. What is so odd about Kirchen?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I don't think ricco has the mental strength to win the tour just yet. I wish Rass was riding as that's who I would like to see win
    cartoon.jpg
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    I just want to see a good, CLEAN race. Putting on my Nostradamus hat, I can see Valverde, Cunego and Sastre doing battle in the mountains, whilst Evans will hold on for grim death and claw all, if not most of the time back in the final time trial to win by a few seconds. However, I would very much like for either Valverde or Cunego to win, because they have to make up for their deficiencies in the time trials for going for it on the hills. Valverde knows where he went wrong last year, and has done everything in his power to make sure it doesn't happen again, and in 2006, Cunego came on very strong in the final week. I also hope I can see a Brit in the Yellow Jersey, but maybe that's wishful thinking.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I feel the same. I've never been a "fan" of individual riders or teams. Find that a bit too soccerish.
    Give me a race that throws up the exciting and unpredictable, right until the Champs and I'll be a happy bunny.
    May the UCI keep their dirty tricks department closed and the riders leave the blood bags in cold storage.

On the subject of Ricco, I found this article both logical and disturbing. It predicts another potential Pantani episode given the young man's propensity to blast off.

http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.co ... nigma.html

You may also find the linked "Drugs for Oil" article an eye opener, especially in terms of the killer.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Dunno. Just gives me the creeps.

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    calvjones wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Dunno. Just gives me the creeps.

Fair enough. Rebellin does the same to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • winoneday
    winoneday Posts: 253
    I'd love to see Devolder win it, its been far too long since a Belgian was right up there. However I agree with others that he's not ready yet, but his rate of improvement is staggering.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Cunego could actually do it. Everything he has done over the last year suggests that he is finally taking his career seriously and riding to win again.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Does anyone seriously think Devolder will ever win the Tour? His best finish in a 3 week tour is 11th and he's 30 next year. He may be strong but he has all the tactical nous of a moule.

Tom Danielson has more of a chance of winning. And he has no chance.
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    I'm rootin for Valverde, all the way!! :D

I don't want Evans to win cos he's such a mizzen, po faced g1t who never cracks a smile :cry:

There, ....I feel better for getting that off my chest now!

Cheers,

Poucher
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Does anyone seriously think Devolder will ever win the Tour? His best finish in a 3 week tour is 11th and he's 30 next year. He may be strong but he has all the tactical nous of a moule.

Tom Danielson has more of a chance of winning. And he has no chance.

You're such a doubting Thomas! Remember when George Hincapie was going to win. Or was it Tom Boonen. And I think last year there may have been some Chinny fans who thought he could do it.

Who would I like to win - Difficult. Not Cadel and not Sastre. So maybe Cunego. Although I'm feeling a bit "meh" about the whole race at the moment.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.