can you give me your honest opinion

Timonya
Timonya Posts: 23
edited June 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I'm just trying to get some feedback on my website and even the idea for this tour, plus any ways you would improve it. Please be as brutally honest as you like: www.bike-back-in-time.co.uk.

Thanks!

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Interesting but more needed on the type of riding as Mountain Bikers are concerned with exact type of terrain that they'll be riding - is it single track, XC etc? The focus on history might actually appeal more to those into touring / expedition rather than generic mountain bikers - is there an on road version for those who don't like mud? What support will you offer - food & spares carried in a van? This would compete with mainstream cycling hols - often for non-cyclists. Sorry if you've covered this but i didn't spend too long on the website as I wouldn't come down South to cycle if I'm honest (Lakes & Dales on my doorstep). Also I like history but would save that for family hols rather than my cycling time which is strictly head down. I suspect many keen cyclists will be the same, with the exception of the touring set. Could be wrong but that's my position. I thought that the feel (ambience/design) of the the website was good and that it seemed quite a fresh idea - that doesn't mean it will sell though. I'd clearly idenitfy your target market and do as much Market Research as possible. This forum is a good start. Most councils have a cycling officer - contact them.

Good luck.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First thing I noticed is that the page is too big to be run in my standard 1024x728 without having to scroll sideways which is a bit annoying.
  • Timonya
    Timonya Posts: 23
    thanks guys, very helpful indeed! I agree with the point that this is probably not for hardcore mbk's, and more for those who would rather have a look around as they cycle. You've given me plenty of food for thought.

Tim
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    First thing I noticed is that the page is too big to be run in my standard 1024x728 without having to scroll sideways which is a bit annoying.
    Same to me, even though I run on 1152x864.

And about the look, I don't like the grey background,
    green one would be better I think, but that's only me.
    The rest is very good, the links for example.
  • big-hitter
    big-hitter Posts: 254
    the font style used under the pictures is a bit hard to read
    Tree's are not soft. FACT
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    edited June 2008
    Looks a bit boring, olde worldy and bland. Is it mountain biking for the over 50's? or parhaps time team mountain bikers?

The itenary, (is that what the heading says), sounds like a form of medival torture..!

I bet your going to get zero business out of that.

Here's a couple of competitors, yours needs to be better than these.

http://www.cycleactive.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.mountainbiketours.co.uk/index.htm

Needs a complete re-think imho. The name, image - everything.
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    I like the look of it, like the glowing tect under the photo's although the contact one exposes a grey box in front of the main picture when you hover over it.

Also never been keen on big scrolling boxes inside a web page that scrolls, depending on where you have the mouse depends on what scrolls. bit irritating imo.

Also if someone doesn't have a scroll wheel on their mouse they wont be able to scroll through the text as the top of the scroll bar in hidden under the pictures.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...looks really interesting...I'd think about riding it...not all mountain bikers are up for "extreme" off road...there again I am an over 50's rider...hope it takes off and your business flourishes...a lovely ancient part of the country...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Nice looking site and easy to navigate,nice job !!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I wonder if you should try putting this elsewhere on the site? Maybe in Road/Tour & Expedition? I know this isn't a road trip but the audience might be more interested in the content. No offence to the MTB group, its just an observation.

For my part, I found your site interesting enough that I would consider joining one of your tours. I know the area a bit from my road touring, and would be interested to see it from a slightly different perspective. I can see that it might appeal more to people with an interest in the history of that landscape, rather than the biking per se. That might be a problem, if it puts off the less fit or experienced.

The scrolling thing didn't bother me, since the key content is in the middle of the page. The design seems appropriate for what you are trying to sell IMO. If this is your first attempt at a website I'd say well done and worth seeing how it goes.

Good luck with the business. Once my wife has given birth I'll come back and have another look!

BTW - I think the idea of offering all the camping gear and transport back is great. Takes away all the hassle of carrying camping kit (assuming you own some) , which I'm sure will appeal as long as it's decent quality and clean :)
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I Have to say in terms of website quality. It is brilliant! Very nice links, text (if a little hard to read) is very cool, Pictures are brilliant.
    Think you have many aspects of information covered that you would need. It is cheap too at £35 for all that, of down south i have to say i would think about it.

However. People are saying it is possibly not aimed at HC mountain bikers, and i agree. Also agree that roadies/touring folk would love it!
    Think you need to establish the target market and aim at them, and just them.

For me if i wanted a mtb holiday, from the website alone i would expect a more "extreme" image.

Hope this helps :)