Best crash remembered

Bike_Breaker
Bike_Breaker Posts: 9
edited June 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I, having ridden for a good portion of my life, have decided to come clean and let you know a secret, in real life non racing or stunt environments, I have had numerous stacks, most of which have been on tarmac where it can smart for awhile after, sometimes years after. I attribute all of my crashes down to myself..

Take my most recent crash, pulling away from traffic lights, foot gets pulled out of SPuD pedal, whacks handlebar, I balance myself over the front end trying hard not to flip and manage to regain balance only to find I am heading towards street furniture, no time to turn or compose myself fully on the bike, legs straddling the frame still, both feet off the pedals, cleats sparking off the tarmac in a vain attempt of slowage, not a chance.. Took on the furniture like a scared baby, suffered minor damage to myself, fork and wheel wrecked on the bike, good job it wern't the fullsusser.

I knew I had a problem with the SPuD/cleat interface a few weeks ago, should have fixed it then, wouldn't have cost me a fork and front wheel..

Moral of my crash, any glitches with any equipment on any of my bikes, change straightaway if it involves putting power through it... I can see this getting expensive.

If you got something similar, pray tell. I want a moral to your story too..

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My best crash was when I'd just got my Junior Ts. I was still waiting for the disc brake adapter to fit my brakes onto the new forks, so I borrowed my father's XC wheel, and V-brakes to go for a ride.

Unfortunately, on a rocky descent, I managed to damage the wheel, then the brake blocks went under the rim, and locked on the spoke nipples, sending me and the bike flying down a ravine.
    when I came to, I thought I'd wet myself, as I could feel water running along the floor, until I realised I'd landed face first in a stream.
    I'd smashed my Met Attilla full face helmet, destroyed my rear brake calliper, torn the brake hose, snapped the rear mech hanger, rear derailleur, and snapped my swingarm clean in two.
    On top of that, I suffered slight concusion, and fractured two ribs, and jarred my knecap, and damaged my patella.

I still suffer from aches in my knee now, 8 years on.

The thing that annoyed me most though, was when I asked my mother if I could sub some money to buy a new helmet (I was a student) she pointed at the old one, and said
    "you've wrecked the old one, you think I'm going to give you money to buy another one to break as well? you must be kidding. You can go without until you save up"!!! :roll:

responsible parenting, huh?
  • big-hitter
    big-hitter Posts: 254
    ever rode head on into the side of a van at full speed with no helmet? didnt think so! 8 stictes and 2 weeks off school later, i was perfectly fine! no bwan damedge wot so evererre! but the bike looked more like a unicycle! the only salvageable thing was the seat. but not the seat post, thats still stuck halfway up my arse!

worst off road crash was when my azonic aliminator frame got schitsophrenia and decided it was better of as 2 bikes, not one. my mate who was riding behind me wouldnt stop laughing. never mind that fact there was blood and brake fluid everywhere and my lips were the size of a melon! lucky the only perminent damage to my face was a slighty chipped tooth.

on the plus side after both incidents my over protective parents bought me 2 new helmets and a new bike and a new frame!
    Tree's are not soft. FACT
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Descending down a steep hill, no tracks just put the bike where you think it'll go.
    It was autumn and lots of leaves on the ground.
    Goind down the hill, very very slowly, loads of leaves gathered under the front wheel, I failed to see a tiny tree stump, I mean it was like 2 inches high.
    So I'm going down and suddenly come to a halt, not knowing I've hit the stump as the leaves were in the way.

In slow motion the back wheel start to come up off the ground, I have no idea why as I still don't know theres a stump stopping the front wheel.

My thighs hit the underneath of the bars, I let out a "uurgh" kind of noise and proceed to go straight over the handlebars, the saddle whacks me on the head as the bike goes over the top of me.

My mate is laughing his t-i-t-s- off as I come to rest at the bottom of the hill, no me damage and no bike damage, but damn funny!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rode into a Supertram in Sheffield whilst eyeing up some totty on the pavement!
  • Anonymous
    Another one I've done (this belongs in the other thread though!) is looking down at my rear mech, whilst sitting on my bike in the driveway. then I ride off slowly, still looking at my mech, trying to figure out why it wasn't shifting properly.
    Unfortunately, in the time I'd lokked down at the mech, a car had parked opposite, and I rode straight into it!

People in the car thought I was a retard!
  • i have had 2 funny incidents on the same bike on consecutive days.
    first of all i went out for a little session on my trials bike with a mate after bedding in the front pads, of course me being me i forgot and pulled on the lever as normal and WHAM!! major faceplant ,and i kicked the floor so hard i thought i had broken my toes, plus some old bloke walking past just stopped and went "ooooooh faceplant".
    so that ruined my evening
    the next night after receiving my new koxx trousers in the post i thought i would attempt another session.
    got the bike out of the garage and pedalled off down the driveway, then my trouser got caught in the chain which was moving due to the front freewheel and dragged me to the ground via a big connifer tree.
    so from about 1 minute of riding in all i had ruined my foot and my new trousers.:(

bloody bikes! :roll:
  • Anonymous
    why do you have a front freewheel? what's the advantage? :?:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    It was the only one. I was trying to make a stoppy, but I was going too fast for my front V to lift the rear wheel. So I jumped a little from the pedals, and then nose down on the asphalt. :oops: Luckly, noone saw me exept one car that passed me after I fell, and luckly I tried to make a stoppy before the car was too close to me. :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Years ago after riding on the cyclepath from Bitton to Bath, didn't reach Bristol then, we were riding throught the Southgate shopping precinct and me on my mini chopper bike with ape-hanger bars decides to pull a wheelie to show off to my cousin. Next thing I know the bike is on my stomach and I'm lying on the deck :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 2 WORDS:

El Capitano.

Have a look in here for OLD posts about his crash :shock:
    quote "Whyamihere"
    You're one freaky fucking bastard Phil.
  • Ben
    Ben Posts: 5,534
    Whistler, 2005, wet drop, fully clicked tabletop, head, tree, helicopter, 3 shattered vertebrae, wheelchair for 7 months. Bad times.
  • jimmyp1873
    jimmyp1873 Posts: 120
    mine wasnt really a bad one, but quite embarressing. i was working up at fort william on night shift, so thought i would stick the bike in the van so i could go for a blast through the day. after getting to the top of the witches trail i was hitting the trail back down feeling like a bit of a speed demon :twisted: ,hit a wee rocky bit, made a tit of it and fell off, got back on, round a couple of corners later and up a wee small climb with a sharp right hand turn with another rocky downhill bit with a banking on the right hand side, as i looked down the bike veered to the right and i came to a standstill with my right shin only thing stopping me from going down the banking as it was hitting a rock. as i tried to get unclipped i fell over ripping my shin and calf to bits, then slid down this banking with the bike still attached to me,finally came to a standstill when a broken branch got jammed in one of the vents in my helmet :oops: :oops: :oops:
    only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive