Boardman road comp

hopper26
hopper26 Posts: 73
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Im going to get the boardman road comp in about two weeks. Im 5.7 and im wondering what size i should get. Ive almost stopped but i am still growing so i want it to last.
Also does anyone know anything about this bike?

Thanks
Born 2 ride!

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hi, Cannot offer you much help with sizing, other than to say, when it comes to bike fit, you'll often find a number of frame sizes will fit. Now if you were fully grown I would recommend that you got the smallest one that could fit, as smaller frame=less weight, however, as you think you'll grow some more, it's best to get the largest frame which will fit (WITHIN REASON)

Secondly, whilst I do not wish to rain on your parade, I think you might want to consider other bicycles from other shops! The Chris Boardman bike is VERY good value for money. However, I have heard terrible things about bikes set up by Bikehut, and personally I would not trust them to build a bike up for me.

The trouble is you are unlikely to find anything with as much bang for your buck as the Boardman bike. However, if this is your first road bike, you also need to factor in other costs, clip less pedals, shoes, shorts, tops, tools and a spare tube. £599 for the bike plus the previously stated costs (£100+) adds up to an expensive initial outlay.

Personally, what I would do is got to your LBS (Local Bike Shop, but try and make sure it's a reputable one) and look for bikes in the £500 price mark, they won't be quite as well equipped as the Boardman but going to your LBS you are likely to get a bike which will fit you well. Furthermore, £99 you save can go towards some nice kit.

However, if you are set on the Boardman, then don't worry, it's a very good bike. Just make sure its set up well.

**Sorry for the long and meandering post :oops:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Ive had a Boardman Road Comp for about 10 months and it has been awesome!!

It was my first road bike and it got me hooked, the difference from my Hybrid was immense. In my experience, I cant fault the service I got from Halfords (Lancaster) or the bike itself!!

If you get this bike and you make sure the set up from the shop is correct, I guarantee you will not be disappointed!!

I have since upgraded to a Specialized Roubaix but the Boardman rocks.....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well its a good time to learn how to maintain a bike anyway ! If you take care of the bike - it will last for years.

Have fun !
  • hopper26
    Hi
    Ive got £750 o spend. So perhaps £600 on bike and then £150 on cloths shoes and pedals etc.
    I do know that halfords don't set the bikes up to the standed of the bike however i know a couple of other people that had bought one and because they are good value they have spent £20 to get set up properly by my lbs.
    Born 2 ride!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    OK well, if i'm honest, i think that at the £600 price bracket you won't find anything else with such great value. Even with the £20 set up from the LBS its still a very good deal.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • hopper26
    I yhink im going to ask Boardman whether they would send the bike straight to me without send it via halfords.
    Although i thnk i am set on this bike does anyone have any other options for a 600-700
    bike
    thanks
    Born 2 ride!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cube Peleton (chain reaction cycles) and Focus Variado (Wiggle) both £700 may be worth a look? Or have a look at Ribble's special edition bikes?
  • Wash
    Wash Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having a road bike through our companies bike to work scheme. The only issue is that it has to be from Halfords.

I am considering the Boardman road bike and would welcome advice on frame size.

They seem to come in S, M L or XL. I am 6' 2" and have a 35" inside leg.

Would I need a Large or XL?

Views appeciated.

Thanks
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Wash wrote:
    Hi, I am having a road bike through our companies bike to work scheme. The only issue is that it has to be from Halfords.

I am considering the Boardman road bike and would welcome advice on frame size.

They seem to come in S, M L or XL. I am 6' 2" and have a 35" inside leg.

Would I need a Large or XL?

Views appeciated.

Thanks
    Best if you can get to your nearest Halfords who stock the bike,& try,as you may well be in between the L & the XL
    so many cols,so little time!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Best if you can get to your nearest Halfords who stock the bike,& try,as you may well be in between the L & the XL
    Take your time, and bear in mind that a road bike may feel quite different to a hybrid or MTB - more stretched out, not as upright. Best you get to a store for a try - click the 'where to buy' link at www.boardmanbikes.com

The spec is really good, so as long as the muppets at Halfrauds don't mangle it you should have a great bike.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.