Novel way to stop!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited June 2008 in MTB general
Just managed to use my face, in conjunction with a tree, to stop myself. How I didn't knock my front teeth out, I don't know. There was actually a mark in the tree where my teeth hit. Now got a fat lip and bruised left leg, arm & side etc. :oops:

Went down a bit of a steep single-track too fast (rode it plenty of times before without mishap), and to be hoest, took my eye off the ball. Once I got into trouble, I did the cardinal sin of hitting the front brake! :oops: I should've known that with the recent rain, I should've slowed down a bit.

Still, got back on the bike and went round for another go on the same route and carried on with my ride...although I'll ache tomorrow. :)

I'm a fool!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Hope your'e OK tomorrow
    We all have our little mishaps from time to time :wink:
  • Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

More importantly, is the bike OK? :lol:
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • Johnny Napalm
    More importantly, is the bike OK?

Once I'd checked my teeth, and detangled myself from it, that was my biggest worry. I gave the bike a quick once-over. Seems to be ok...although I need to clean it, so there could be a couple of scrapes I don't yet know about. I'll give it a wash later tonight.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    nice one. hehe. good to see you're ok though!!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Check my brother-in-law doing something similar, quite funny, hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZP1cAGjmxc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you do that thing where if you fall off your bike, and hit your head, the first thing you do is stand up, and kind of totter around?

My mate reckons it's because your brain thinks
    "gah, shouldn't have stopped that quickly"
    and so makes you walk around a bit to decelerate a bit more gently! :lol:
  • LordBanks
    Aye, i do actually, i always try to get up as quick as possible, if i can like. :roll:
  • Johnny Napalm
    I immediately take a look around to see if anyone has seen me! :oops:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • LordBanks
    Johnny Napalm, just checking out your pics there, i'm away out this afternoon to get some of those Steve Peat white grips, anygood?? Do they get mingin' scruffy??
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Johnny, look after that bike, rare as hens teeth over here, mine still hasn't arrived, next friday they say.... :?
    Other than the odd get off hows it handling???
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Johnny Napalm
    Hi, Lord.

I've found them to be nice comfortable grips...but they are a pig to keep clean, mate. They do get pretty grubby, but I usually wash my bike after every ride, so I clean them as best I can.

They're not as white as they once were, but I suppose that's to be expected. You do get the ingrained dirt etc. I would recommend them as grips though.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • LordBanks
    Cool man, i got some Lizard Skins bmx style on at the minute, they've came abit loose and i've stripped the clamp-on bolts, their abit to thick for me little mitts too. I reckon those white ones will look cool on me bike, bit pimpin' and that.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Hey, Stu.

Bloody hell...I thought you'd have been happily riding yours for the last few weeks. :( I hope that you get it soon, mate.

I've had to shorten the handlebars, due to being vertically challenged, but I'm now getting used to the bike. The Fox forks feel absolutely amazing now they've bedded-in. The white frame paintwork does seem to chip easily though. But then again, it is a mountain-bike so it's going to get abused.

I would imagine the bike would be awesome with a good rider! :oops:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Johnny Napalm
    Lord, they do look the business...and they're comfy to boot! :D
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • LordBanks
    Nicemind, i'm away this after's to get some. Just gotta drill me old ones off :shock: