Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

camelbacks...

JumperSimon14JumperSimon14 Posts: 284
edited June 2008 in MTB general
i need a camelback but i'm not sure which i need for what i want.

i would like:

2-3 litres for water
space to fit spares, tubes tools ect.
insulation so water doesnt warm up

thanks
Giant XTC 2.5 '08
Felt Virtue 3 '10
Giant Defy 2 '11
Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
Fit Team Park Bmx '08

• miket-62miket-62 Posts: 227
    I use the LOBO. Does me fine for our standard rides, but is a bit limited for our extended rides
    I think the MULE or HAVOC are better suited for the more "epic" trips
  • allthegearnoideaallthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    i have the blowfish, old design now i think, but has a 3L bladder and an expandable rusksack section big enough for all the tools i need and clothing if i strip off during the ride!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 8,115
    Blowfish here too (for longer rides)

Source Spinner 2 Pro for shorter rides (better bladder than camelback, the whole of the top opens up)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • OllyUKOllyUK Posts: 230
    I use a MULE, its perfect for my needs, 3L bladder (but only fill it up to 2L for shorter rides, and space for a waterproof, food, tools, camera and phone.
  • dave_hilldave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Just bought a Chaos, £49 from CRC.

To be honest, I can't say that I'm blown away by it. No denying the build quality is excellent, and it has some really neat features like the media pocket (for your video camera, iPod, phone, whatever) and loads of straps on the outside for securing pads, jackets, etc.

What isn't so good is the range of harness adjustability. I'm not the biggest bloke in the world by any stretch (Joe Average actually, 6 foot, 42 chest, 34 waist, size 9s) but with the waist belt at its longest it only JUST fastens; I can't fasten the sternum strap; and the shoulder straps are a bit narrow and not well padded at all.

I'm beginning to wish that I'd gone for another £25 Gelert job. Granted they aren't quite as heavy-duty and you can't get spares for the bladder (but when a new bladder is £5 who cares) but far better value in my opinion.

Look at Dakine, Deuter, Krieger and North Face packs, too.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Surf-MattSurf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Got a MULE last weekend from CRC (binned Wiggle now they used CityLink) from wife as an early birthday present.

It's only a hydration system but it's utterly brilliant!

The only thing I'd look out for is the fit for bigger blokes (as Dave mentioned) - while only a short ar5e, I'm 40-42" chest and I reckon if I was any bigger, I'd struggle to accomodate my chest with the chest strap done up - it's pretty close fitting. No problem with the waist belt though - many inches to spare (30" waist).

Otherwise I hardly know it's there when it's on and the quality is very high indeed - think Mercedes up until the early 90s - overengineered and will last forever.
  • forgotrafeforgotrafe Posts: 637
    I bought a MULE and couldn't do the chest strap up at all (42" chest).

However, then I realised that the chest strap slides up and down the shoulder straps. Bit of fiddling and now it fits easily.

Rafe
  • Surf-MattSurf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Rafe - same here!!