Scott CR1 Pro - Any owners?

andrew_b_1975
andrew_b_1975 Posts: 41
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I am in the process of trying to make my shortlist shorter and was wondering if there were any CR1 owners out there.

It fits some of my criteria

Price
Weight

I wondering if it is too good to be true ...

I had wanted my next bike to have Campag but can't find anything nearly as well specified for anywhere near the price!

Opinions?

Comments

• wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    Whats your price range Andrew? Have you considered any of the look bikes? 585 is a nice bike, what do you want it for?
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Club rides, sportives.

I did look at the 585, but it was a bit more. The CR1 Pro is only £1500 & Epic Cycles and it left with some money to upgrade the wheels.

I torn between my head and heart. My head says the CR1, my heart says something Italian with Campag and the extra weight doesn't matter. Things were much simpler when I could only afford cheap bikes ...
  • wheeler585
    Are you anting to buy from new like! If not there are loads of bargains on ebay at the mo just looked at a nice time vxrs and a look 486. And you can always ask if they have the reciept of purchase just incase you have any problems.

Thats a good deal though £1500 what spec does that come with? I had a scott team many moons ago and really like it climbed really well very stiff and light for slogging up climbs!! So the pro should be better! I will have a scout around for you see what i can get for £1500!
  • wheeler585
    Actually if you look in cycling weekly theres a nice look 486 for sale comes with full dura ace and es wheels and think hes wanting around that price for it, its a size 55cm
  • 55! That's huge ;-) Some of us only have little legs ...
  • wheeler585
    Ha ok what size are you? But to be perfectly honest that pro offer is pretty damn good, you will only better that by buying off ebay!!
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I own a Cr1 Pro. Bought it as F&F and fitted out with Dura Ace and Cosmic Carbones/Custom wheels on Powertap. It's the best frame I've owned (previous were Ribbles, Specialized and an Omega Alchemy). I love it because it's very light and it's stiff enough for me. It also behaves nicely in races, cornering and all that jazz.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    I bought a CR1 pro as my 'good bike' 18 months ago , and had an open pro wheel build. Ive changed seat post, saddle, stem and bars out of personal preference but the frame is awesome. So much so that when my other sportive bike expired i bought another CR1 (the team) to replace it. Amazing quality and strength even under a giffer like me! Finally when replacing my trainng bike frame i was so impressed by the CR1 geometry that i bought a SCOTT speedster (alu but same geometry) and swapped all my gucci kit accross from my old bianchi. All 3 are amazingly stiff, comfortable and dont look shabby next to bikes 2 or 3 times their value. cant say enough good about them! (no im not a rep). If i had one criticism, the gel coat accross the top of the carbon is not very tough and easy to mark but this is cosmetic only and you get a free touch up pot with the bike.
    BOSH
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    I've had a Scott CR1 pro for two years. For the money I reckon it;'s the best value bike out there and at £1500 you are unlikely to get a better bike for the money.

The CR1 pro is a great bike but I also have a Pinarello Prince and there is no comparison between the two. Then again there shouldn't be as the Prince was three grand more.

I wouldn't say the Scott is an ideal Sportive bike as it's quite a harsh ride (compared to the Prince) but for a good all round bike you won't be disappointed with the CR1.

Even though I use my Prince most of the time (let's face it who wouldn't) I still enjoy riding my Scott and as I say for the money I don't think it can be bettered.

If £1500 is your budget go for the Scott. You won't regret it.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I've waxed lyrical about my CR1 Pro on this site a few times before, and I'm quite happy to do so again now. It's a 2007 model which I picked up for £1550 at the end of last summer; I loved it from the start, have ridden it through the winter (only bike y'see!), and it's as good as new, so that'd be money well spent then. I've heard a few times that the ride is 'harsh', but it not something that I've ever noticed; other bikes may be more comfy (I've never ridden another road bike so have no point of reference), but I've done a few centuries and my first sportive on it and it seems fine to me!

For all I know there might be other bikes that are just as good for the price, but if I had to buy a bike now with £1500 I wouldn't hesitate to get a CR1 Pro.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I've had a CR1 since 2007 and it used to be my main bike, now it's mainly used for winter and turbo. Lovely machine and has got me through many 100+ sportives and a few trips to the Alps. Apart from changing the saddle and stem and adding Dura Ace pedals it's as I bought it, and they are cracking bikes.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    3 year old thread alert!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bigpikle wrote:
    3 year old thread alert!

Doooh..

Didn't notice..;-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123