Halfords Roof Mounted carriers

tagmnbagm
tagmnbagm Posts: 111
edited May 2008 in MTB general
Bought one today in an effort to keep costs down (Had to buy roof bars as well). I went for the twin pack carrier. Fitted the roof bars, no problems. Fitted one of the cycle carriers to the roof bars, straight forward, all looking good.
Attempted to attach my bike to try, not good. Firstly the wheel straps were next to useless, couldn't get enough grip on the strap to get the required tension. And then the frame holder once tightened would not lock! at one stage the bike started to topple onto the roof, my misses managed to grab the bike, cutting her hand on the chain ring in the process!! :x
After a couple of attempts, and trying the other rack not attached to the car, with no better results, decided to take it straight back.
I must say the staff at this branch of Halfords could not of been more helpful. After demonstrating the problem we were having, they took out another of the same rack and fitted a display bike to it. This was to show us that the carrier we took was faulty. However when they tried to lock it the lock mechanism just broke apart.
They then got out the Advanced cycle carrier, to see if this would be more suitable. The difference in the two products was vast. This unit had proper ratchet wheel straps, and a much more robust locking mechanism. They offered this as a replacement at no extra cost.
I must say I was more than happy with this arrangement, and when I fitted it to the car I was stiil smiling.
The original carrier was not the value one they have, so I dread to think what that would be like! But I certainly would not reccomend either that or the twin carrier. Definately go for the advance, or the Thule if you can afford it, I would have gone for that myself if I had only needed one.
Well done to the staff at Halfords in this instance though.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I agree about the halfords carrier, I had one, it wasn't very good, but didn't fail like yours.

I now use Thule 591 Proride carriers, the difference in quality is amazing. Well worth every penny.

You can get a Thule 591 for ~£60 from Skidrive.co.uk, which is quite a saving on Halfords prices.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • tagmnbagm
    tagmnbagm Posts: 111
    Yeah would really of liked a Thule, but would of been over double what I ended up paying as I needed the two. I paid £55 for the twin pack advance, and without the benefit of any lengthy test It certainly seems up to the job.

Anyone had any experience of bike coming off the carriers when driving, that would be a nightmare! I have to say I was VERY aware of my pride and joy perched on top for the short test ride, even though I had checked, and double checked for security before I set off.
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Two things - a mate of mine had an experience of his bikes coming of his carrier on the roof, but that was because he drove under a 6 foot 6 height restrictor. Damage - none to the bikes (which stayed attached firmly to the rack), folded roof panel in his immaculate Mark 3 Cortina (ouch!!!)

Bear in mind that a roof-mounted rack will increase your fuel consumption by about 5mpg when loaded and 3mpg when empty. Remove your roof bars when you aren't using them!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Watch for overhanging tree branches in car parks or up country lanes. Might look fairly harmless but can cause loads of damage to bike, bike holder and car. Talking from experience!
    PS: Thule over Halfords at any time. They replace parts free of charge - or ask you to send a donation marked with the name of your chosen charity. The bike holders are built to last.