Bike upgrade / mods. Is it worth it??

beany1111
beany1111 Posts: 11
edited May 2008 in MTB general
Hello all, I havent done much bike work in last few years, always used the car, broke leg in 7 places etc. Question is, I have a 2000 Marin palisades hardtail, the chainset is a Marin ovation, middle ring is badly worn and the others dont run true anymore. Rear cassette has rolled a tooth and chain is badly worn. All the rest brakes/gears are the old blue/grey lx set. Would you just replace the chainset with a new lx one and stick a new 8 speed cassette and chain on? Or would you put a whole new 9 speed LX groupset on? The old blue/grey groupset isnt too bad, but obviously past its best (one of the ratchets in the gear levers misses now and then) As im not upto date on the bike front I'm not sure what to do?? Im happy with the Marin frame and think its a good frame, but am I just living in the past and there are better frames out there and I should just buy a new bike?? Im not a real serious rider, just like to get out and about on it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are going to need a minimum of new chainset, cassette and chain. If want to go 9spd, you'll need shifters as well (and obviously cassette and chain). 8spd chainsets work fine on both 8 and 9 speed set ups and chains. the deraileurs you have will be fine.

So up to you really - for the price of new shifters could go full 9spd!

Chainset wise, what bottom bracket do you have? You may need a new one of them too, or if going for the external bearing chainset type it is included with it
  • beany1111
    If I replace the chainset I would automatically replace the bb, its been on 7 years so its done well. The LX chainset I looked at said it comes with a 68mm bottom bracket. If I get the groupset it comes with everything to upgrade to a 9 speed, and not bad for £157!! Excuse my ignorance, but you mention an external bb, what exactly is one of these?? Is it the type I would get with an 08 LX groupset?? I'm a electrical/mechanical engineer by trade, so I cant see why I shouldnt be able to do the work myself, save a few quid etc.
  • supersonic
    Yes, the very newest Shimano chainsets at Deore level and up use an axle welded to the chainset, and external bottom bracket cups. The cups screw in, the axle slides through, then you attatch the left hand crank - sort of works like a Aheadset! So it is all one unit, with spacers for different shell widths and chainlines.

With standard BBs like the one you have, the cartridge type, there is a shell width measurement (which is unique to the bike) and an axle length, which depends on the chainset.

If you go for the external set up, then you will need the bottom bracket shell faced - this ensures that the seperate bearing cups lie parallel to each other when they are screwed in. Job for the bike shop, usually 10-15 quid (or sometimes free if you buy the parts from them!)

You will need the other tolls of course for fitting and removing the existing BB, chainset, cassette etc.
  • beany1111
    When you say getting faced? What actually is that? Do they run taps down it in a jig to get right and left hand threads perfectly square? Or do they actually ream it out and leave you with no internal thread.. a smooth bore? Cheers for your help too mate!!
  • supersonic
    They use a tool that squares up the actual face of the shell (the circular face that faces outwards) which removes material. The shells still screw into the threads (these are often recut or 'chased' at the same time). It is not so important with standard bottom brackets to be faced as the bearings are already square to each other as is one cartridge unit - in the new type, it is two seperate units, so they have to be parallel for good bearing life.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=97
  • beany1111
    Yeah cheers, I imagine just buying the facing and tapping sets costs a fortune, best to take in to a shop for that!! But do you think the marin frame is ok, and is it worth spending money on a frame that old?? It hasnt got any major flaws on the frame, checked all the welds the other day with crack detection spray and they are all superb.
  • supersonic
    One of the main highlights of a marin is the frame - they are often a little better than others at equivalent price points. As you already like it and have the bike set up for you, and it is in good condition, I would keep it! Same with me and my 96 Zaskar ;-)

Here is an option for you: the older LX octalink set up.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=12

Uses a cartridge BB rather than external cups, but has a splined spindle for extra stiffness. As abovem no need to face here, the deal comes with the coreect BB, and at 45 quid is a bargain! Also lighter than the newer set up, and bearings are actually probably better. I use the same set up, its flawless.
  • Megatron-UK
    Megatron-UK Posts: 91
    If you already have an external BB and you want to fit another chainset that also uses an external BB, is just a case of swapping over? No need to re-face for a different brand of BB/cranks?
    Kona Dawg Deluxe ('07)
    Kona Lava Dome ('95)

Losing weight and (slowly) getting fitter...
  • beany1111
    The bike does have a cartridge type bottom bracket at the moment, probably a very tight one as its probably been in 7 years
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'd say this groupset would be the most cost effective way of upgrading to nine speed.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=83