Snapped spoke.

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Ive just suffered my first snapped spoke on my relatively new Shimano R500 (cheapo) wheels. I got them from Ribble in Feb as an emergency/spare set and they have only done around 500miles.

From peoples experience, do you have any sort of warranty claim on wheels/spokes?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you got them mail order you could probably send it back and they MIGHT do the right
    thing or NOT. I would just take it to the local bike shop, let them fix it, and be done with it.
    Shouldn't cost much and will save you the hassle of sending it back.

Dennis Noward
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I wouldnt bother for just one spoke snapping. Its far easier to sort yourself. I'd prob get another spoke from the shop whilst you are there - just so you have one in your toolbox. Simple to swap over yourself.
  • grpics
    grpics Posts: 6
    I bought a pair of these for my touring bike, but after snapping two spokes in as many weeks I can't trust them. They are now on my winter hack, with two spare spokes taped to the mudguard stays! :roll:
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Replace the spoke yourself, its pretty easy. Just buy the correct size spoke.

LBS will charge around £6 to replace spoke and true
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As long as the wheel hasn't gone excessively out of true <3mm and the spoke tension in the others still feels even, I'd replace it yourself first time. However, if it becomes a repeated problem I'd take them back - they should be prepared to slacken off the spokes / retrue / retension the wheel. To the initiated, it's quite easy to see if the wheel is suffering from a poor build or abuse and take the appropriate action.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..