Kidneys aching at the end of the ride

sonicred007
sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
I've recently started to get pains in the area where my kidneys aree at the end of a ride.

Last night I did a couple of hours and when we started to wind down, the pains started to appear... nothing severe, but enough to be noticed.

This isn't always restricted to exercise rides. Even on my 7 miles commute, occasionally as I'm winding down as I near home, it happen then.

Now I thought it might be to do with the cold, but last night was lovely and warm.

Anyone got any thoughts or experienced anything similar

Comments

• Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    It's probably muscular. Most aches & pains after a good session on the bike are. But if you're really not sure & you still think it's your kidneys I'd go & see your doc.
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks
  • sonicred007
    Probably is muscular, just that kidneys is the area that the pain takes place - any ideas about how to prevent?

and if persists I will go see a doctor
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    check out your position on the bike. I used to get back pain in that area - my stem was too long and I was too stretched out.
  • sonicred007
    Doesn't feel stretched out and it was fitted at Condor, if that's a mark of anything... willing to take advice on it to be honest

It's a recent pain the back and I've had the bike for 2 years without adjusting the fit at all
  • sonicred007
    Could the wieght I'm carrying have anything to do with it? I'm 14 and half stone right now and only just returning to regular riding over any distance since being knocked off April 2007
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    The only reason I could see the weight being a problem is that your muscles will be working harder especially up hills. That comes back to the fact that it's probably muscular pain you're feeling.
    If you don't have a history of kidney problems, stones for example, & you're not having any other kidney related problems(problems urinating etc), then I would look to the riding position with regards to mild muscle strain.
    Were you badly hurt after your accident? If not, you may still have been knocked out of line slightly. Something you may not notice in everyday life, but will affect the way your muscles work on the bike & therefore can affect your riding position. Failing that it could just be your body adjusting to doing long rides again after a long period off the bike!
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks
  • sonicred007
    Nothing broken or fractured thankfully.... and no there's no other kidney related frailties that I am suffering from

I'll slide my seat forward a couple of centimetres and see how that goes

Thanks for the advice and I'll report back on any improvements

The bit that gets me is it seems to spring up when I am winding down from a ride - whether that's my 7 miles commute home or 20+ miles last night

Hopefully I'm just getting used to 25+ miles in the saddle again
  • hobbescp
    hobbescp Posts: 197
    If the pain doesn't subside you could pop along to your docs (if nothing else just to get the all clear that your kidneys are fine). I get kidney pains and so I can sympathise but mine are linked to a kidney condition.
  • sonicred007
    Fair point - going out tomorrow for a ride so will judge it then - the weather has kept me indoors since
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Strangely enough I used to get exactly the same symptoms occasionally at the end of my (also then 7 mile) commute about 5 years ago. Haven't had any problems since. I also assumed that it was the kidneys, but as it was clearly associated with fairly strong exertion (I used to really push it on my commutes back then), very mild and disappeared immediately afterwards I never really worried about it. It didn't feel like a muscular pain.

I read somewhere that your kidneys shut down during hard exercise, it wouldn't seem surprising if some people might feel slight discomfort as they adjust to different modes of operation during and/or after exercise. That's just completely ignorant speculation on my part though. In my case, if I remember, I used to just feel a mild pain just on one side just as the ride was ending and I was cruising down my home street. By the time I'd got the bike indoors and cooled down it had disappeared.
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    I get kidney pains after long rides if I dont hydrate properly during the ride and also if I dont take a sports drink.
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp
  • sonicred007
    Seems I'm not alone then

Thanks for all the supportive comments
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Still, if it gets worse or you start to feel it at other times I'd see the doc just to be safe.
  • sonicred007
  • MIsterGoof
    MIsterGoof Posts: 128
    sonicred007,

I get the same thing, I've got kidney stones :(

I find they hurt more when I'm dehydrated, so make sure that you keep drinking when you ride.

Hoping it's just minor and muscular for you

MG
  • sonicred007
    I hope so too, but late night reading meant I missed the sunday ride

Lets see how I get on with my commute tomorrow

Stuart