100k/enduro

jmeadows
jmeadows Posts: 335
edited May 2008 in XC and Enduro
whats considered a good time for a 100k over novice medium course?
i was on the british cycling website the other night, a lot of times for the pro riders were average 3/4.5 hrs, the winners time was sub 2 hrs though! is that right, it seems a little quick for that distance over terrain? didnt know if it was a misprint.
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Comments

• milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    A 100km is 62.5 miles.

To do it in 2 hours would require an average of over 30mph!

To do it in 3 hours would require an average of over 20mph!

4 hours is about 16mph, which is very good going, 30mph would never happen, and 20mph still seems extremely optimistic?

Unless of course its a 100km of downhill!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Well 100Km is about 62 miles, so yeah, I think over 30MPH is probably a mis-print. I think the professional road peloton "only" tends to average around 30MPH, so that speed over anything other than asphalt seems unlikely (unless it's significantly downhill).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Justinjured
    Justinjured Posts: 142
    the couple of the events i have done the 'pros' have averaged around 14mph, which over xc terrain is very quick.

4hrs ish is the most likely.
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    yeh i thought that, i will have another look but i am sure i read it right. even the great lance armstrong would be struggling to do that me thinks, cheers guys :)
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I've done two 100ks which both took me widly different times one was at Thetford which took 4.30hrs and the other was at Gorrick which took me about 6hours.

Gorrick was over distance and had big hills and Thetford is fast and flat and by the time I did Thetford my skills at riding off road had improved and I had good few Marin winter enduros under my belt so was much more confident at riding harder and faster for that distance.

So many differing variables to consider my advice would be as with any longer event if its a first time is start within yourself and get round so you feel accomplished and got experienced and build from that.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'