Embarrassing Problem

beanston1975
beanston1975 Posts: 66
edited June 2008 in Health, fitness & training
This is a bit of an embarrassing issue but here goes....

I am 5'9" and am a hefty 13st10lbs so I could do with losing a few pounds. Now what happens to me, particularly after long rides, is I sometimes end up with red and painful skin in the area between my inner thigh and...well...<ahem>....stuff...you know? It tends to stick around :shock: for a couple of days, meaning that strenuous rides are off limits.

My question is what, apart from maybe shedding a bit of excess weight, can I do to try to sort this painful issue?

I tend to wear close fitting shorts under a pair of Altura baggy shorts.
My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    maybe a bit of vaseline? i think you could prob get some cream too?
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Could be the dreaded "jock itch". Sort of like athletes foot but in a different spot. Usually doesn't go away without treatment. Also it doesn't really itch, it's painful. Look to see if
    the skin is sort of cracked in that area. This could also be just skin rubbing together.
    In either case I would use a good cream lube, like Assos, in and around the "problem area"
    and see if that helps. Also, strip off those sweaty shorts right after a ride and dry yourself off. Maybe put some skin powder on after you're dry. Wear clean riding shorts daily.

Dennis Noward
  • It's definitely not itchy, and has on occasion been painful to the point where even walking is difficult. The skin has never cracked, it's just very red and tender.

I have heard of Assos cream (love the name!!) and had considered it, I just wasn't sure if it would do any good.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Clean your undercarriage thoroughly with anti-bac soap too, post ride.

Assos is top notch, never had a problem since I started using it, my gusset always feels lemon fresh!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

I tend to wear close fitting shorts under a pair of Altura baggy shorts.

do you mean lycra? or just some shorts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Not lycra shorts, no way! Wouldn't be seen dead in the stuff!

I mean close fitting, cotton shorts in the Calvin Klein stylee.
  • robmanic1
    hmmmmm, aversion to lycra, sore bits, suddenly all becomes clear. Bite the bullet and don the lycra!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    hmmmmm, aversion to lycra, sore bits, suddenly all becomes clear. Bite the bullet and don the lycra!

you can still wear the baggies over the lycra.

and you do go combat under the lycra.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    nicklouse wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

you can still wear the baggies over the lycra.

and you do go combat under the lycra.

agreed. this will help lots. Cream or vaseline etc if its still a problem
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not lycra shorts, no way! Wouldn't be seen dead in the stuff!

I would advise NO COTTON. It just soaks up and retains water. If you must wear shots
    try polypro or some other synthetic fiber.

Dennis Noward
  • Lycra is strong with the dark side of the Force. A thing of evil it is. Wear it it seems I must.
  • robmanic1
    Function over form innit! (Unless you've viewed the girls in lycra thread) :wink:

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964

And that is the problem....

As everyone has said wear a set of lycra under your baggies, problem solved......
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I get this! I have stretch marks in said area, which seem to inflame. Sudocreme works wonders.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    If symptoms persist, go and see your pharmacist.

He or she may give you Canestan or something like that, a sort of high-powered athlete's foot cream - I think.
  • punkypossum
    punkypossum Posts: 660
    Sudocream seconded - it works wonders on chafed bits, rashes, itches, etc. Slap some on pre-ride, might feel like you had an accident in your pants, but it will stop the problems before they even start!!!
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    I get this problem, mostly from walking, sudacream does the trick, great stuff !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sudocream gets another vote here as well. Slap it on pre ride and you should be fine. I have to also say that you should be avoiding the cotton jockeys as these will just create problems.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You don't have to wear lycra under baggies either, I use http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... d%20Briefs which are more like padded boxer shorts, which on an MTB at least I find a bit more comfy than lycra shorts.

Also I'd second the use Assos cream and only wear the under shorts for one ride between washes.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    yeah get lycra, theres loads of baggie shorts out there which cover up the lycra nicely so you can't tell whats underneath. i wouldn't have gone near lycra without the fact that baggies covers it up.
  • Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    Try this,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... Ease%2090g

It works great and has done the business for me. Looks to be similar to Assos but who can argue with nature kissing your tender bits. Lycra under baggies is defo the way to go although a good pair if baggies with a quality padded liner works well for me.[/url]
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5