Shimano XTR vs Sram X0 and Avid

paradox1509
paradox1509 Posts: 63
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Any one have any thoughts on which are best and why. I am looking to buy all XTR for my bike (transmission, braking and chainset)but only because my local bike shop say that they are constantly having warranty issues with Sram.

thx for any responses

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    X0 and Formula.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'm a mere peasant with one XT equipped bike and one SRAM X-9 bike - so far, I prefer the shifting action and reliability of SRAM.

Althought the XT has still been very good - just seems to need adjusting more often.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I prefer SRAM too but its a personal thing really,try both out if you can !
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    im an SRAM fan, the all thumb shifting is handy for keepinging break fingers free on the downs
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Sram here too. Seems better shifting, especially when things start getting mucky. Quality is very good (mines all X9) I just wouldn't spend so much on what are negligeable performance gains....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    Sorry to break the trend but XTR here!!
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • Always had a complete shimano set up until Jan this year. Now got a sram X9 set up for mechs and shifters but stuck with an XTR crank. Now real sweet with the durabilty of the XTR crank and excellent slick realiable shifting of the SRAM.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All XT gears here, with Saint cranks, wippermann chain, and flying snakes cables.
    no quibbles with it at all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XTR for me. Half the price for some parts, smoother shifting. My ALivio shifters have a better shifting action than my X9!
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    I've recently been thinkin of changin my old xt shifters to x-9,duely from good reviews, but upon askin the dude in my lbs (where i bought my whyte 46 from) if it was ok to take a x-9 equipped bike for a spin,just in the street to see how they feel compared to my old shimano shifters, he said 'not really' and suggested it 'a little odd'. To be fair it was a scott genius mc20, but even after offering my car keys wallet etc so i couldn't scarper he still said no :o . Am i makin a fuss over nothing or is this normal practice? Rant over :oops:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Sram X-9 for me and with braking - either hope or formula
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    XTR for me, I've owned XT, X9 and XO equipped bikes but XTR marginally beats XO IMHO.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Never had XTR - but I prefer the positive clicky shifting action of X0/X9 to the vague/subtle (delete as applicable) action of XT.

The SRAM gearing does seem to last longer without adjustment - but the jockey wheel has just seized on my X9 mech after a year of not very heavy use. Hopefully an aftermarket replacement will last longer.

Oh, and I wouldn't buy Avid again - they perform very well but are difficult to service and tend to develop an earsplitting squaking noise.
  • RSMarco
    RSMarco Posts: 95
    XTR shifters are nice and clicky, very smooth and you can also shift with your thumb both up and down.

I run XTR throughout and it is spot on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To you guys whp have the XTR front mech, how much difference does the diferential plate thing actually do?
  • Spud Son
    Spud Son Posts: 48
    The problem with Shimano is that the gears are 2:1 ratio. So, for every mm of cable movement, the rear mech moves 2mm ! In practical terms, this means that the setup is quite sensitive and needs plenty of love and care to keep the changes sweet. If you are not up for routine maint and plenty of fettling to adjust for cable stretch as required, you may lose patience.

SRAM is 1:1, so they are easier to set up, and less sensitive to cable stretch and "sticky" cables.

As with all things, it is a personal choice. Mine is XTR front mech, X0 rear & triggers, laced up with flying snake cables - sweet !

For the rest of the transmission, I could not fault anyone with XTR crankset, but I ride RF Atlas with a Hope BB. Chain - I ride SRAM PC971 and change early to protect my PG990 cassettes from excessive wear.

Hope this helps
  • Spud Son
    Spud Son Posts: 48
    The problem with Shimano is that the gears are 2:1 ratio. So, for every mm of cable movement, the rear mech moves 2mm ! In practical terms, this means that the setup is quite sensitive and needs plenty of love and care to keep the changes sweet. If you are not up for routine maint and plenty of fettling to adjust for cable stretch as required, you may lose patience.

SRAM is 1:1, so they are easier to set up, and less sensitive to cable stretch and "sticky" cables.

As with all things, it is a personal choice. Mine is XTR front mech, X0 rear & triggers, laced up with flying snake cables - sweet !

For the rest of the transmission, I could not fault anyone with XTR crankset, but I ride RF Atlas with a Hope BB. Chain - I ride SRAM PC971 and change early to protect my PG990 cassettes from excessive wear.

Hope this helps
  • dudge
    dudge Posts: 59
    My Bike came with X9 R/D, X7 FD, X7 shifters and firex crank and Formula OROk18 brakes with 180mm discs. Now I am a real world rider not a pro. 103kgs, pretty solid in build, not much fat, these days thank god. Happily do 28 miles of Ridgeway in 2hrs 15/20..have spent a Summer in the Alps doing climbs and trails and proper downhill all On my Bionicon Golden Willow. Things I can advise on...and this is all my personal opinion, and the opinion of others who are better than me that I have sought advice from..
    First to go was the FD in favour of XTR...why? XTR fD was cheap off Ebay and virtually unused and the X7 was poor at shifting. The XTR now set up with x7 shifters is fast and acurate...
    GXP BB and firex both fairly knackered after 500 miles of hard work..remember I am a big bloke and it has taken some punishment on the climbs...replaced very recently with XT crankset and BB...everyone I have spoken to, including a mate who runs full XTR, have told me that unless I want to race forget XTR cranks..the performance to price ratio just doesn't stack up, and frankly so far I couldn't agree more..the XT cranks with XTR FD shift much better than the Firex and the crank and BB saved me a load of money and some weight as well.
    Now I am totally anal when it comes to research and found this fantastic bit of Vid on youtube to really highlight the difference between the 2 RDs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs shame the quality is poor but well worth watching.
    I like SRAM RD was going to upgrade to XO but really put off by carbon cages..aparantly they are very vulnerable and have been advised by quite a few people to stick with X9, again the weight saving vs cost doesn't add up, I am going to buy a new X9 and save a bundle..its a great mech anyway. Funnily enough the only bit of XO that people keep recommending are the shifters as they are aparantly the only place I will notice a significant difference in performance so they are going to be the next upgrade.
    As for brakes...the K18 are great for XC and Ridgeway/trails but the 180mm rotors just were not up to stopping me on the more difficult steep and technical DH sections in the Alps..I think putting on 200mm discs might help but the K24's would be better..I managed to blue out my discs and loose all brakes at one point, but it was 33 degrees (heat) and I was on a flowing red/black section that was very steep and need my full concentration..In the UK they are fine though.
    Then theres the "But I need to shave weight off all my components"...as one Frenchman in our local bike shop in France said.."Monsieur I only haz ze Maxxis Hi Rollerz..if you are worried about ze weight may I suggezt you loooook in ze mirror....eet iz much eazier for you to looze ze weight no, and much cheaper eh??" true story..good job he is a friend, but also ..Fair point, so I am. by getting out and riding.
    In the real world go for reliability and longevity and save your hard earned..XTR and XO are built for the likes of Julien Absalon and company who can afford to replace them every time their carbon bits hit a rock and explode. Not saying they are not worth it but in my experience in the real world they are simply unnecessary as the letest crop of X9 and XT utilise the same technology as their more expensive brothers but with a slight weight penalty..and it really is slight.
    Oh and I forgot to say..without exception everyone recommended Hope BB's and I will probably upgrade if the XT one doesn't last..but again it is a lot of money for what it is..anyone got any views on the Hope stuff?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    dudge wrote:
    First to go was the FD in favour of XTR...why? XTR fD was cheap off Ebay and virtually unused and the X7 was poor at shifting. The XTR now set up with x7 shifters is fast and acurate...

Oh really? It shouldn't work at all...

I've just moved from xt to second hand x-0, very impressed with the adjustability and feeling of the x0 now i'm used to it. Very nice.

Sticking with my xt cranks though because I haven't found another system (ie preload and pinch bolts) that works as well as the shimano setup. Everything else i've had has worked loose, although the raceface deus cranks should be an interesting experiment.

The plan is to move to 2011 red coloured 2x10 sram x0 with a bash if it'll work, and then stick the old x0 onto my second bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is 60 quid for a BB - it is ridiculous, and makes no sense on cheaper cranks. If you want longevity, go for a cheap square taper and a UN71.

Even on top end cranks I wopuld be looking at bearing extraction and replacement.
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    dudge wrote:

Why not? I don't have XTR but I do have an SLX FD with X7 shifters and they work fine. In fact came as standard on the bike. Are XTR different?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    upinsmoke wrote:
    dudge wrote:

Why not? I don't have XTR but I do have an SLX FD with X7 shifters and they work fine. In fact came as standard on the bike. Are XTR different?

Front mechs work fine between Shimano and Sram as they use the same ratio. Rear mechs won't work as they use different ratios so the front mech should work
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    my bad, read it as read derraileur...
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Money no object ??? then full XTR for me...seamless shiffting and uber reliability...if you shop around from the likes of Ribble, Merlin and Noah's Arc (poss Dave Hinde) you will probably get a groupset for around 30% less than XO..I do like and rate my Elixirs CR Carbons though..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !